Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

My students think Trump is a dictator

I'm not writing this to start a flame war, but to give insight that what the President says does have a ripple effect across our community even if it doesn't necessarily pertain to you or where you live. We started school last week and so far it's been an interesting first few days for me. We did introductions last week with some ice breaker activities of "getting to know you" and getting class schedule conflicts worked out, so today was the first real day of instruction. I work at a medium size high school in a rural town in the central valley teaching 10th grade world history. The school population is 92% Hispanic, 5% Caucasian, 2% African American, 1% Asian/other. The 92% Hispanic population of our students have roughly 60% come from migrant families that work in the fields which is a significant number of our student body. It's safe to say that most of these students either crossed the border when they were infants/toddlers or were born here but their parents came here illegally.

Today I started a lecture about "Absolutism" and the monarchy of King Louis XIV of France. I mentioned that through his consolidation of powers he was able to obtain complete autocratic rule and his only threats were the nobles and bourgeois, but through autocracy it can become a slippery slope into despotism and dictatorships. I then asked the class to name a current dictator and almost unanimously they all said "Trump!". I froze for a second and I asked, "why do you think that? The United States is a constitutional republic, not a monarchy or dictatorship. Trump is not our king, he does not rule by divine right or aristocracy" (although lately it seems you need to be rich in order to become President). A girl finally raised her hand and she said, "he might not be dictator, but he runs the country through fear like a dictator and we are scared of losing our families". I could see all of my students had the same thought in their heads and I felt like I had to calm them down somehow. I told them this is the purpose of our three branches of government, so that Trump or any other President can't consolidate power and rule by themselves. The President is bound to the Constitution whether he likes it or not and that's the beauty of it even though it's not perfect.

Everyone sees immigration as "people need to come in the right way, if not they need to be deported", to be honest that used to be my stance until I got into education and I realized it is not that simple. I look at these kids in my class and it's sad because it's not their fault that they are caught in the middle of all this. The United States is all they know and it's what they call home. I know some of them go to sleep at night wondering if someone is going to knock on their door and take their mom, dad, or somebody else in their family. My biggest fear from all of this is to walk into my classroom one day and see an empty desk or a kid who is distraught knowing his/her family got separated. Quite a few of you guys on here are familiar with me and know I'm not very open about my political stance even though I enjoy talking politics and I intend to keep it that way. I never have and never will tell my students which way I lean politically even if they ask me. I tell them it's my job to give them the materials and resources to research information and form their own opinion. This post is just my thoughts on what I witnessed today and how real this topic is in my community. It sounds cliche coming from teachers, but it's true, these students are my kids and I love all 184 of them even though they make me want to pull my hair out at times.                     

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

It sucks that we’ve gotten to this point as a society where children have to live in fear of the POTUS. I’m afraid we’ve only experienced the beginning of what is to come. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

I'm not writing this to start a flame war, but to give insight that what the President says does have a ripple effect across our community even if it doesn't necessarily pertain to you or where you live. We started school last week and so far it's been an interesting first few days for me. We did introductions last week with some ice breaker activities of "getting to know you" and getting class schedule conflicts worked out, so today was the first real day of instruction. I work at a medium size high school in a rural town in the central valley teaching 10th grade world history. The school population is 92% Hispanic, 5% Caucasian, 2% African American, 1% Asian/other. The 92% Hispanic population of our students have roughly 60% come from migrant families that work in the fields which is a significant number of our student body. It's safe to say that most of these students either crossed the border when they were infants/toddlers or were born here but their parents came here illegally. Today I started a lecture about "Absolutism" and the monarchy of King Louis XIV of France. I mentioned that through his consolidation of powers he was able to obtain complete autocratic rule and his only threats were the nobles and bourgeois, but through autocracy it can become a slippery slope into despotism and dictatorships. I then asked the class to name a current dictator and almost unanimously they all said "Trump!". I froze for a second and I asked, "why do you think that? The United States is a constitutional republic, not a monarchy or dictatorship. Trump is not our king, he does not rule by divine right or aristocracy (although lately it seems you need to be rich in order to become President). A girl finally raised her hand and she said, "he might not be dictator, but he runs the country through fear like a dictator and we are scared of losing our families". I could see all of my students had the same thought in their heads and I felt like I had to calm them down somehow. I told them this is the purpose of our three branches of government, so that Trump or any other President can't consolidate power and rule by themselves. The President is bound to the Constitution whether he likes it or not and that's the beauty of it even though it's not perfect. Everyone sees immigration as "people need to come in the right way, if not they need to be deported", to be honest that used to be my stance until I got into education and I realized it is not that simple. I look at these kids in my class and it's sad because it's not their fault that they are caught in the middle of all this. The United States is all they know and it's what they call home. I know some of them go to sleep at night wondering if someone is going to knock on their door and take their mom, dad, or somebody else in their family. My biggest fear from all of this is to walk into my classroom one day and see an empty desk or a kid who is distraught knowing his/her family got separated. Quite a few of you guys on here are familiar with me and know I'm not very open about my political stance even though I enjoy talking politics and I intend to keep it that way. I never have and never will tell my students which way I lean politically even if they ask me. I tell them it's my job to give them the materials and resources to research information and form their own opinion. This post is just my thoughts on what I witnessed today and how real this topic is in my community. It sounds cliche coming from teachers, but it's true, these students are my kids and I love all 184 of them even though they make me want to pull my hair out at times.                     

You are experiencing something almost all of us on this board cannot truly comprehend. Some can /will probably say ' it doesn't matter because their parents broke the law '. Screw 'em they get what the law says they deserve. 

Others will say ' but , wait it's not the kids fault, give them and their parents who are working here and supporting our economy a chance '.

You are on the front lines of an ideological battle. 

I have three family members who are teachers....I empathize with you and them. They, like you, try their damndest to keep their personal philosophies from the curriculum.  

Good luck and I applaud you.

8 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

You are experiencing something almost all of us on this board cannot truly comprehend. Some can /will probably say ' it doesn't matter because their parents broke the law '. Screw 'em they get what the law says they deserve. 

Others will say ' but , wait it's not the kids fault, give them and their parents who are working here and supporting our economy a chance '.

You are on the front lines of an ideological battle. 

I have three family members who are teachers....I empathize with you and them. They, like you, try their damndest to keep their personal philosophies from the curriculum.  

Good luck and I applaud you.

Unfortunately most of my coworkers don't share this sentiment.

5 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Unfortunately most of my coworkers don't share this sentiment.

If I may make an assumption. ..you're employed and ' governed ' by the teachers union in California. 

43 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

If I may make an assumption. ..you're employed and ' governed ' by the teachers union in California. 

Yes, but from my experience with them they are just bullies lining their pockets with the union dues. Most of the teachers on our campus are leaving the union.

13 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Yes, but from my experience with them they are just bullies lining their pockets with the union dues. Most of the teachers on our campus is leaving the union.

The reason I asked the question was because my sister-in-law is an educator in Northern California, she shared some of the same frustrations when dealing with co-workers and the lack of support. 

She has told my wife and I she wants to leave the union as well.

She has a great heart and a talent for teaching.  

I wish you the best.

I kind of want to debate Louis 14 with you, but that isn't the real point of your thread, so I wont.  All I will say on that is I don't think commoners had any more of less rights under the Sun King.  It was other nobles that lost their relative position.

I definitely get your point that political positions and talking points can seem a little empty when faced with real life young people looking back at you when you are standing in front of class.

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It sucks that we’ve gotten to this point as a society where hispanic children have to live in fear of the POTUS because of the propaganda that the TDS media and politicians on the left that pimp on America . I’m afraid we’ve only experienced the beginning of what is to come.

FIFY

Trump does need to do better in calling out real hate groups and ideology more often. He could save himself a lot more grief if he did so. 

kat.jpg

39 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I kind of want to debate Louis 14 with you, but that isn't the real point of your thread, so I wont.  All I will say on that is I don't think commoners had any more of less rights under the Sun King.  It was other nobles that lost their relative position.

I definitely get your point that political positions and talking points can seem a little empty when faced with real life young people looking back at you when you are standing in front of class.

Correct, when he moved the government to Versailles he forced nobles from other provinces to relinquish their political titles in order to centralize the government, but was able to maneuver this by allowing tax exemptions. The bourgeois took up most of the load money wise while overhauling the French Industry which brought in more jobs for the working class. The aristocrats didn't really care what he as doing just as long as he didn't tax them, it wasn't until his war with Spain in the early 1700's when he finally started imposing taxes on the nobles and by that time most of France wanted him gone. My main point wasn't even really about Louis it was to get the kids to understand that when someone in power is left unchecked and unchallenged it can quickly spiral out of control.   

Ok, now that I’ve read it, I think pretty much everyone here is with you. Nobody likes the thought of children being torn away from the only world they know. But we have to be real about these things. The United States has done a horrible disservice to illegals, immigrants, and citizens through its dereliction of enforcing the law. The corrupt reasons for this are well known and has been discussed here endlessly.

Its not their fault. I’d like to find a way to provide relief to these children and their family members who have not committed crimes other than coming here illegally. Yes, that does give a big F YOU to the people that are waiting in line and doing things the right way. I’m sorry, somebody is going to get screwed. This to me is just the best policy that does the most good with the least harm. And it’s one I’ve...let’s call it evolved on. Because I didn’t trust the gang of 8 bill or the willingness of the other side to enforce it vigorously. 

But we gotta recognize the mess we’ve made for ourselves. People are counting on our policy to be consistent, and it hasn’t been. Commit to the policy we have, or a new one we enact, with steel reserve. And forgive those who transgressed by the fault of our own imbecility.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Ok, now that I’ve read it, I think pretty much everyone here is with you. Nobody likes the thought of children being torn away from the only world they know. But we have to be real about these things. The United States has done a horrible disservice to illegals, immigrants, and citizens through its dereliction of enforcing the law. The corrupt reasons for this are well known and has been discussed here endlessly.

Its not their fault. I’d like to find a way to provide relief to these children and their family members who have not committed crimes other than coming here illegally. Yes, that does give a big F YOU to the people that are waiting in line and doing things the right way. I’m sorry, somebody is going to get screwed. This to me is just the best policy that does the most good with the least harm. And it’s one I’ve...let’s call it evolved on. Because I didn’t trust the gang of 8 bill or the willingness of the other side to enforce it vigorously. 

But we gotta recognize the mess we’ve made for ourselves. People are counting on our policy to be consistent, and it hasn’t been. Commit to the policy we have, or a new one we enact, with steel reserve. And forgive those who transgressed by the fault of our own imbecility.

This is at a rural high school? I’d have killed for a teacher like you.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

This could all be resolved if our politicians wanted it resolved. As you are aware it’s the legislature that passes the laws we live by, not the executive branch who is responsible for enforcing the laws. It’s the legislature which is failing your students by not reforming the immigration system. I would hope you would point that out to them. It’s like blaming a cop for enforcing the law and giving you a speeding ticket. 

Even with a reformed immigration system, there is still a limit on how many immigrants can be adsorbed by our country. We can’t simply open our borders to everyone that wants to immigrate here. Most countries in the world enforce their borders. 

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Do it.  MWCboarding.

35 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You're definitely right about people getting screwed over no matter which way you slice it especially those who are already in line doing it the right way. My 93 year old grandmother came here from Mexico on a work Visa in the 1950's and became a U.S. citizen in 1980. She filed her paperwork, paid her fees, took her classes and finally took the pledge. She's been very upset watching people walk across the border and enjoy the fruits without having to deal with the hardships she had to go through which ultimately led her to voting for Trump. Yes, my 93 year old Mexican grandmother voted for Trump.

I think the best thing we can do right now is to reform our immigration policy that would allow people who are already here to get in line without having to go back. It's pointless to waste resources to round everyone up and send them back when another person will just take their place. We need to halt the flow of immigrants into the country before they cross so that we can stabilize and free up our immigration centers. We also need more funding for classes, I wouldn't mind teaching a few citizenship classes at night. It's basically high school government. 

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This is why the answer needs to be nothing short of comprehensive immigration reform. I know I mention Beto a lot, but his plan is a pretty damned good one that could probably work.

• Make dreamers citizens
    - They're innocents in all of this and while I guess they "jumped the line" to some, it wasn't their decision to do so, and they're already defacto Americans
  • Provide a pathway to citizenship for the parents of the dreamers. 
    - Unlike their children, they had a choice in coming here, so they shouldn't get to jump the line, but there should be a mechanism in place for them.
    - Let them decide on whether they want to stay here permanently or go back to the country that they originally came from.
    - If they choose to leave, don't bar them from re-entry in the future.
  • Significantly increase the number of temporary work visas that are issued
    - Allow them to temporarily leave and return during the issued period
    - Streamline re-approval process for the next visa period
  • Address the green card backlog 
  • Address naturalization backlogs for people who have met all other requirements to be eligible for citizenship and waive citizenship fees for those who are eligible for citizenship
  • Invest in Central America to fight the violence and rampant poverty that has led so many residents of the Northern Triangle to flee their countries
  • Significantly modernize our border security at ports of entry and elsewhere to fight drug and weapons trafficking
  • Deschedule marijuana and allow cultivation and consumption across the nation (not technically immigration related, but certainly border related)
  • Modernize our visa tracking system so that the proper authorities are notified when someone breaks our laws by overstaying their visa --- whether it be temporary work, student, or some other status
  • Enforce the laws that we have on the books on those who refuse to abide by them moving forward
  • Move the immigration court system from the Department of Justice under Article II and make it independent under Article I and drastically increase staffing in the form of family case officers and immigration judges
  • Do not decriminalize border crossings. 
    - If we've done our job well to this point, then we need to have enforcement mechanisms to deal with those who continue to ignore and violate our laws. 
  • Increase CBP personnel at the border so they can serve in their primary role of stopping drug smuggling and human trafficking.

There are a number of other proposals in there, but I think everyone can get the point. We can work on this issue and do our best to solve it without being cruel. We can protect our borders without building a pointless wall that's destined to be an ecological and humanitarian disaster in the long-term. At the bare minimum, I think those proposals would do a ton to deal with the issue of illegal immigration.