Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

We don't need no education

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Republicans leery of them thar universities :waiting:

And some wonder why intellectuals like George Will have left the Republican Party. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

So what is the alternative? The military? If you’re a parent and you’re not guiding your kids towards college you’re a fool. 

I will say it should be a college within your means and one your kid can graduate from in 5 years without overwhelming debt.

What I've seen is that Republicans are championing technical schools and trade schools over liberal arts universities.

I have to guess that the reason why Republicans believe that universities are detrimental is because universities are predominantly progressive and are intolerant of conservatism.

I know this is a thread to bash Republicans but from what I read from the polling, Both Republicans and Democrats are concerned about the detrimental effect on the nation from the high cost of college and student debt. Republicans are more concerned than democrats that a 4 year degree doesn't prepare people for the workforce, the perceived liberal bias from educators, rampant political correctness on campus, racial bias in college admissions. Hardly anti-education. A little more nuanced than "Republicans hate education". Not defending the Repubs, just looking past the headline.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

What I've seen is that Republicans are championing technical schools and trade schools over liberal arts universities.

I have to guess that the reason why Republicans believe that universities are detrimental is because universities are predominantly progressive and are intolerant of conservatism.

You say "progressive" like it's a pejorative.  Isn't "progress" in our thinking a good thing?  And they're not brainwashing kids, they're teaching history.  You know, slavery, the civil rights movement, American imperialism in Latin America and the Philippines, our military-industrial complex, etc.  You know, the shit Texas high schools leave out of the approved textbooks for the nation.

42 minutes ago, Orange said:

You say "progressive" like it's a pejorative.  Isn't "progress" in our thinking a good thing?  And they're not brainwashing kids, they're teaching history.  You know, slavery, the civil rights movement, American imperialism in Latin America and the Philippines, our military-industrial complex, etc.  You know, the shit Texas high schools leave out of the approved textbooks for the nation.

I didn't say it pejoratively. What you read into my posts is up to you.

I used the word progressive as opposed to liberal because I thought it would be more accurate.

1 minute ago, CV147 said:

I didn't say it pejoratively. What you read into my posts is up to you.

I used the word progressive as opposed to liberal because I thought it would be more accurate.

Okay, fine, Republicans use it pejoratively.  All the time.  So I was responding to that; feel free to exclude any personal implications from my comment.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

Okay, fine, Republicans use it pejoratively.  All the time.  So I was responding to that; feel free to exclude any personal implications from my comment.

Honestly, I see Republicans using "liberal" more pejoratively, hence "libtards", etc.

What's funny is Republicans used to be the more "progressive" party under Teddy Roosevelt. In fact, he founded the Progressive Party.

And I haven't weighed in personally, so I will.

A liberal arts education is invaluable to civic discourse. You don't learn the finer points of philosophy or history in a STEM tech school. You don't learn to communicate effectively.

I would argue that liberal arts helps manage civilization as a whole, while technical training helps provide services and innovation. Tech degrees get several times the money, and maybe that's important to most people.

I feel like civilization would regress in absence of liberal arts, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I know this is a thread to bash Republicans but from what I read from the polling, Both Republicans and Democrats are concerned about the detrimental effect on the nation from the high cost of college and student debt. Republicans are more concerned than democrats that a 4 year degree doesn't prepare people for the workforce, the perceived liberal bias from educators, rampant political correctness on campus, racial bias in college admissions. Hardly anti-education. A little more nuanced than "Republicans hate education". Not defending the Repubs, just looking past the headline.

You read the article?  WTF is the matter with you?  Don't you know you're just supposed to read what the retarded fvckwit says in the OP and proceed to bash in ignorance? MWC board much?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

49 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Honestly, I see Republicans using "liberal" more pejoratively, hence "libtards", etc.

What's funny is Republicans used to be the more "progressive" party under Teddy Roosevelt. In fact, he founded the Progressive Party.

A liberal arts education is invaluable to civic discourse. You don't learn the finer points of philosophy or history in a STEM tech school. You don't learn to communicate effectively.

I would argue that liberal arts helps manage civilization as a whole, while technical training helps provide services and innovation. Tech degrees get several times the money, and maybe that's important to most people.

I feel like civilization would regress in absence of liberal arts, but that's just me.

I'm so glad you mentioned this; it often gets overlooked or discounted in many discussion here in the OT forum.

My daughter, a HS senior, is well along in the process of applying to both the USNA and USAFA. She spent a week in the Summer Seminar at the Naval Academy and yesterday we went on an extensive tour of the AFA. Although she's a straight A student in predominately AP courses, including all of the STEM classes offered, that's not really where here passion lies. I was surprised and encouraged to learn that all of our service academies, obviously some of the most rigorous universities in the county, still hold the Humanities in very high regard for the future leaders of our military and country.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

Yes. Liberal arts teaches you the "why" or at least gets you to find your own personal "why". Technical education can tell you a "how" but the "how" is generally  far less complex than the "why". 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I'm so glad you mentioned this; it often gets overlooked or discounted in many discussion here in the OT forum.

My daughter, a HS senior, is well along in the process of applying to both the USNA and USAFA. She spent a week in the Summer Seminar at the Naval Academy and yesterday we went on an extensive tour of the AFA. Although she's a straight A student in predominately AP courses, including all of the STEM classes offered, that's not really where here passion lies. I was surprised and encouraged to learn that all of our service academies, obviously some of the most rigorous universities in the county, still hold the Humanities in very high regard for the future leaders of our military and country.

I'm curious to know what the AFA provides in the way of humanities education.  They've been historically a very Christian, very white, patriarchal and borderline racist/sexist organization for a very long time.  I've heard tales of ethnic or religious minorities feeling VERY uncomfortable there.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

I'm curious to know what the AFA provides in the way of humanities education.  They've been historically a very Christian, very white, patriarchal and borderline racist/sexist organization for a very long time.  I've heard tales of ethnic or religious minorities feeling VERY uncomfortable there.

This concerns me a little regarding the AFA. Our family is not religious; I believe my daughter has been "in church" maybe 2 or 3 times with friends.

Not at all worried about the other stuff.

https://www.academyadmissions.com/the-experience/academics/majors/

With up to 27 majors and three minors offered at the United States Air Force Academy, there are programs of study for every interest. Grading is strict and expectations are high — but so are the rewards. You will emerge from the Academy with well-rounded knowledge in many fields, intimate knowledge in your major area of study and an impactful career in which to apply all of it.

These are the non-STEM  "majors" offered at the AFA.

All students are required to take a certain number of courses outside of there Major.

MAJORS
MINORS

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

This is why many major universities have a “core curriculum” from which students must compete other courses to form a more well rounded education. 

36 minutes ago, Orange said:

The AFA in particular has a reputation as pushing Christianity heavily - more than the other academies. They still value liberal arts, maybe not as much as the more senior services though.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.