Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Rajun Cajun Coach “Encourages” Athlete’s to Donate to Scholarship Fund

Phuck this guy. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

31 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Ironically, I once worked as a supervisor at a company which "encouraged" us to donate at least $50 per month to United Way.

But were you a paid employee?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

But were you a paid employee?

Yeah. Salaried. However, all of us at my level read the word from above as communicating that although the contribution was entirely "voluntary," we would make the donation if we knew what was good for us. Ergo, we viewed the $600 per year of which a third or so was tax deductible as being a good investment in our future.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

That shouldn't even matter.  You should never feel obligated to donate to anything as an employee or student.  

That’s a valid point. 

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That’s a valid point. 

Well, here I thought we were required to will everything we own to the MWC board!  I guess I better hurry and go change my will before I get run over by a crazy California driver!

down in a hole.jpg

10 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Coach makes $850k/yr. He could make $50 donations on behalf of all 85 scholarship players and not even feel it.

I was honestly thinking the same thing while reading the article. 

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

That shouldn't even matter.  You should never feel obligated to donate to anything as an employee or student.  

I worked for a large environmental engineering company. We were all asked to contribute to a PAC that lobbied for environmental legislation. Although it was in the company’s and our interest, and for a good cause, it wasn’t met with enthusiasm by the employees. 

Also, after working for them for about ten years they wanted all employees to sign an agreement that employees that developed an innovative process not try and patent that process and it was the property of the company. Most of us refused to sign. 

31 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I worked for a large environmental engineering company. We were all asked to contribute to a PAC that lobbied for environmental legislation. Although it was in the company’s and our interest, and for a good cause, it wasn’t met with enthusiasm by the employees. 

Also, after working for them for about ten years they wanted all employees to sign an agreement that employees that developed an innovative process not try and patent that process and it was the property of the company. Most of us refused to sign. 

I work for an entirely different company with the same stupid crap.  Fortunately, I work remotely so they don't even really notice when I give them the finger.

8 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

That’s a valid point. 

I thought the point of your comment is that these are student-athletes. Unpaid students. "Starving students", as they are often as. SGF is a working professional. Significant difference. 

9 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I thought the point of your comment is that these are student-athletes. Unpaid students. "Starving students", as they are often as. SGF is a working professional. Significant difference. 

Yes.  But I also agree that employers really shouldn’t be doing this either.  But yes...unpaid student athletes shouldn’t be forced to do this shit. 

This is pretty weird.  UL has an athletic budget over $32,500,000.00.  This little stunt would net them around $5 grand.  Clearly a case of Napier trying to impress (shame?) the scholarship players into understanding how fortunate they are.  I guess .  Maybe it's his version of tithing? :shrug:   @rudolro is right.  This ain't gonna' boost recruiting.  Probably ain't gonna' keep Billy employed either.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I had the same thing working at a mortgage company.  The owner was the president of MBA (mortgage banking association), which is a lobbying group.  All out pressure to increase donations on her watch as she only had a 4 year term.  She touted the same you need to support your industry BS.