Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Omar and Talib

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

They are concentration camps. So were the camps we put Japanese in and the Seminole. Just because we don't do the systematic slaughter later like the Nazis did doesn't make them not concentration camps. The concept and term predate the Nazis, their examples are just the most imprinted on the public consciousness because they were the most horrific. 

Two very huge differences. First, it’s their choice to enter the detention facilities, and second they can leave and go back home whenever they want. 

Those in The Nazi and Japanese camps had no choice. They were forced into those camps and not allowed to leave. The treatment in those camps wasn’t the best either to say the least. 

To say they are anywhere comparable is hyperbole and ludicrous. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Two very huge differences. First, it’s their choice to enter the detention facilities, and second they can leave and go back home whenever they want. 

Those in The Nazi and Japanese camps had no choice. They were forced into those camps and not allowed to leave. The treatment in those camps wasn’t the best either to say the least. 

To say they are anywhere comparable is ludicrous. 

Yes; holding their children hostage in separate facilities certainly leaves people able to "go back home whenever they want" and I am certain that they are speedily released with a ticket home, not held for a hearing (which takes so long I can't imagine how anyone can argue that it meets the "quick and speedy" requirement).

It's a concentration camp. Just because the Mississippi is a river doesn't make the Snake not a river. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
21 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Considering you referred to immigrant detention facilities as concentration camps, your reference to a virtual prison camp sounds like more hyperbole. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

They are concentration camps. So were the camps we put Japanese in and the Seminole. Just because we don't do the systematic slaughter later like the Nazis did doesn't make them not concentration camps. The concept and term predate the Nazis, their examples are just the most imprinted on the public consciousness because they were the most horrific. 

Immigrant processing centers, including detention of children (of course, in "cages"!) are now Concentration camps?

Who knew?!?!

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Immigrant processing centers, including detention of children (of course, in "cages"!) are now Concentration camps?

Who knew?!?!

People who have spent just a cursory amount of time looking up the history and etymology of "concentration camp"?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

People who have spent just a cursory amount of time looking up the history and etymology of "concentration camp"?

Looks like our biggest, most famous "concentration camp", is now a national monument!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island

This is outrageous!!!  They even kept children in "cages" at Ellis Island Concentration Camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if many on this board have ancestors that suffered at Ellis Island Concentration Camp.

The reference to concentration camps is a choice not driven by the etymology of the word, but to rather position one in opposition to these detention facilities as opposing those whom spring to mind in the popular conscience whenever the term is invoked. This is not subtle, nor is it meant to be. Nobody in the intended audience gives a good damn about the Boer war, nor are they thinking about it when the term is applied. The etymology is not the point. The point is to paint one thing as being similar to the worst thing imaginable. Some differences in degree are differences in kind.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

The reference to concentration camps is a choice not driven by the etymology of the word, but to rather position one in opposition to these detention facilities as opposing those whom spring to mind in the popular conscience whenever the term is invoked. This is not subtle, nor is it meant to be. Nobody in the intended audience gives a good damn about the Boer war, nor are they thinking about it when the term is applied. The etymology is not the point. The point is to paint one thing as being similar to the worst thing imaginable. Some differences in degree are differences in kind.

I CARE ABOUT HISTORY OK NOT SORRY FOR BEING SAMRT

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Whose choice was it to enter the detention facilities? Cross the border illegally or apply for asylum was the migrants choice. We did not force them to make that choice. 

Yes, the situation in their home country may be bad. Maybe the better answer is to improve the conditions in their home country. If there are so many fleeing from those conditions, maybe they need to band together and overthrow the dictators that control their lives. Isn’t that how our country reacted and fought for our freedom? 

4 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I CARE ABOUT HISTORY OK NOT SORRY FOR BEING SAMRT

You also care about discourse and being reasonable to address real problems. Evoking the Nazis to further political advantage on an issue that is not remotely Nazi-esque is something you hate. You cannot negotiate with Nazis. Being technically correct is pointless when you know practically what is being done is wrong.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Whose choice was it to enter the detention facilities? Cross the border illegally or apply for asylum was the migrants choice. We did not force them to make that choice. 

Yes, the situation in their home country may be bad. Maybe the better answer is to improve the conditions in their home country. If there are so many fleeing from those conditions, maybe they need to band together and overthrow the dictators that control their lives. Isn’t that how our country reacted and fought for our freedom? 

Dude when you look up "concentration camp" literally one of the types of people listed are "refugees". Apply for refugee status? You're not a potential resident and eventually citizen, you're an undesirable we lock up!!!!!!

as to the bolded... this is what most of the Democrats are saying and very, very few Republicans. (also, we installed the dictators and supplied them with arms to destroy an insurgency so... )

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You also care about discourse and being reasonable to address real problems. Evoking the Nazis to further political advantage on an issue that is not remotely Nazi-esque is something you hate. You cannot negotiate with Nazis. Being technically correct is pointless when you know practically what is being done is wrong.

So you're saying I have correctly identifying concentration camp privilege?

6 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Retribution bad?  What is the alternative?

Well I would have said a 2 state solution but I’m not sure it’s possible now.   By the way, claiming Israel is justified is like a 9th grader beating the shit out of a first grader because the first grader slapped him.   I suppose you would justify that also. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

To say they are anywhere comparable is hyperbole and ludicrous. 

In your response to me which started this sub thread I did not use concentration camps to describe how the Palestinians are kept on purpose.   Though by your distinction perhaps I should have.   

I like how the squad can make a stupid statement like Jews maybe having loyalty to Israel over the US and get pilloried for it by Republicans yet Trump has now made a very similar dumbass comment without any backlash from the right whatsoever. :USFlag:

Boom goes the dynamite.

27 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

I like how the squad can make a stupid statement like Jews maybe having loyalty to Israel over the US and get pilloried for it by Republicans yet Trump has now made a very similar dumbass comment without any backlash from the right whatsoever. :USFlag:

A few things.  First a request for clarification, you have seen center right posters like myself and mug pounce on it so I assume you mean the general public and not members of this board, correct?  

Secondly and not saying this is logical or right, Trump gets credit on the right because he has Jewish family and has been so pro Israel that they are more willing to chalk it up as a gaff.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:24 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lincoln was a racist that advanced the cause of those he was prejudiced against. So did LBJ. It’s happened all throughout American history. Sorry, your hero’s good acts don’t make the anti-semetic things he says any less awful.

The actual smart Jewish people like Alan Dershowitz agree with me completely. Let’s see, Dershowitz or sports board members that are ‘experts’ on nothing? It’s a no brainer.

kat.jpg

On 8/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Disagree.  That comment is the definition of antisemitism, it showed hostility towards Jews unless they "vote" the way he wants.  Accusing them of being disloyal to either himself, Israel or other Jews.  You can be ignorant of your own prejudice and still display it.

For the record I think Trump is not antisemitic but he said something antisemitic.  Accusing Jewish people of being disloyal to Israel is saying deep down you believe they have dual loyalty.  An accusation  constantly levied by Neo Nazis.

If you can not admit that is problematic I can not help you. 

The actual smart Jewish people like Alan Dershowitz agree with me completely. Let’s see, Dershowitz or sports board members that are ‘experts’ on nothing? It’s a no brainer.

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

LOL, there’s one monster huge difference. Trump loves Israel and the bomb squad absolutely hates Israel. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A few things.  First a request for clarification, you have seen center right posters like myself and mug pounce on it so I assume you mean the general public and not members of this board, correct?  

Secondly and not saying this is logical or right, Trump gets credit on the right because he has Jewish family and has been so pro Israel that they are more willing to chalk it up as a gaff.

You right center? Thanks for the laugh. You may have moderate views on some things, but socially you’re nothing but an ultra PC snowflake. People that are center right don’t act that way. 

kat.jpg