Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Please stop copy and pasting entire articles

If you want to quote an article that’s perfectly fine.  Quote what you think is relevant (but not the entire article usually a paragraph or two or three) and then post a link to the article in your post.  I’m seeing this more and more and I’d appreciate it if we can not do that anymore.  Thanks.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Are you catching heat? 

Not yet but I certainly don’t want to. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Yeah but nobody clicks the links. You have to physically shove things down people's throats, Mug. All they read are topic titles and then you say whatever opinions you've already formed and sometimes they might not even be related to the issue, because they didn't read the gd article you linked. Arghhh...

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

If you want to quote an article that’s perfectly fine.  Quote what you think is relevant (but not the entire article usually a paragraph or two or three) and then post a link to the article in your post.  I’m seeing this more and more and I’d appreciate it if we can not do that anymore.  Thanks.  

I generally try to adhere to that mode..........especially now with more news outlets going to pay walls, they might start looking into the copy & paste 

22 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Yeah but nobody clicks the links. You have to physically shove things down people's throats, Mug. All they read are topic titles and then you say whatever opinions you've already formed and sometimes they might not even be related to the issue, because they didn't read the gd article you linked. Arghhh...

Problem with many links is they the go to a paywall site where you can't see it anyway - I subscribe to a few more local sites & one national site, but I'm not subscribing to every MWC locations newspaper 

LV Sun & LV RJ both have a limited number of articles you can read free, then they shut you down 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Problem with many links is they the go to a paywall site where you can't see it anyway - I subscribe to a few more local sites & one national site, but I'm not subscribing to every MWC locations newspaper 

LV Sun & LV RJ both have a limited number of articles you can read free, then they shut you down 

If less people used ad blockers there wouldn’t be as many paywalls.  The advertising can be quite lucrative. 

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

If less people used ad blockers there wouldn’t be as many paywalls.  The advertising can be quite lucrative. 

Oh it can be...........my stipend from the informative posts on this site have allowed me the luxury to shutter my biz & do this full time - Even kept my office just to get out of the house !!! :thumbsup::cheers:

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Oh it can be...........my stipend from the informative posts on this site have allowed me the luxury to shutter my biz & do this full time - Even kept my office just to get out of the house !!! :thumbsup::cheers:

I wish I got that kind of traffic. 

42 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That is why you copy the paragraph or two that best eviscerates your idiotic sparring partner!!!

Anything that enjoys copyright protection, whether it's rendered in ink or pixels, may not be copied or published elsewhere without the express (typically written) permission of the author. The information need not have a copyright notice or symbol associated with it to be copyrighted, since copyright protection arises as soon as an author creates an original work and fixes it in a tangible medium. 

"Copyright law allows "fair use" of small parts of copyrighted works without the permission of the author. If the reproduction is for the purpose of criticism, news reporting, teaching, or research it is more likely to be fair use than if it is copied for commercial purposes"

https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-operations/is-it-ok-to-copy-material-from-a-website.html

8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The OP is worthless without Lumbergh gifs.

giphy.gif

I failed miserably 

Just now, TheSanDiegan said:

I'm going to quote the whole Encyclopedia Brtiannica now as your punishment.

i hate you middle finger GIF

16 minutes ago, mugtang said:

i hate you middle finger GIF

I don't speak sign language, so I had to look that one up:

Spoiler

The finger

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
This article is about the gesture. For other uses, see Finger (disambiguation).
150px-The_gesture02.jpg

Person "giving the middle finger"

In Western culture, "the finger" or the middle finger (as in giving someone the (middle) finger or the bird[1] or flipping someone off)[1] is an obscene hand gesture. The gesture communicates moderate to extreme contempt, and is roughly equivalent in meaning to "+++++ me", "+++++ you", "shove it up your ass/arse", "up yours" or "go +++++ yourself". It is performed by showing the back of a hand that has only the middle finger extended upwards, though in some locales, the thumb is extended. Extending the finger is considered a symbol of contempt in several cultures, especially in the Western World. Many cultures use similar gestures to display their disrespect, although others use it to express pointing without intentional disrespect. The gesture is usually used to express contempt but can also be used humorously or playfully.

The gesture dates back to ancient Greece and it was also used in ancient Rome. Historically, it represented the phallus. In the early 1800s, it gained increasing recognition as a sign of disrespect and was used by music artists (notably more common among actors, celebrities, athletes and politicians; most still view the gesture as obscene). The index finger and ring finger besides the middle finger in more contemporary periods has been likened to represent the testes.[2]

Origin

Classical era

The middle finger gesture was used in ancient times as a symbol of sexual intercourse, in a manner meant to degrade, intimidate and threaten the individual receiving the gesture.[4] It also represented the phallus, with the fingers next to the middle finger representing testicles;[5] from its close association, the gesture may have assumed apotropaic potency.[6] In the 1st-century Mediterranean world, extending the finger was one of many methods used to divert the ever-present threat of the evil eye.[7]

In Greek the gesture was known as the katapygon[8][9] (κατάπυγον, from kata – κατά, "downwards"[10] and pugē – πυγή, "rump, buttocks"[11]). In ancient Greek comedy, the finger was a gesture of insult toward another person, with the term katapugon also referring to "a male who submits to anal penetration"[12] or katapygaina to a female.[13] In Aristophanes's comedy The Clouds (423 BC),[14] when the character Socrates is quizzing his student on poetic meters, Strepsiades declares that he knows quite well what a dactyl is, and gives the finger. The gesture is a visual pun on the two meanings of the Greek word daktylos, both "finger" and the rhythmic measure composed of a long syllable and two short, like the joints of a finger (— ‿ ‿, which also appears as a visual pun on the penis and testicles in a medieval Latin text[15]). Socrates called one who made the gesture "boorish and stupid".[14][16] The gesture recurs as a form of mockery in Peace, alongside farting in someone's face;[17][18] the usage is later explained in the Suda and included in the Adagia of Erasmus.[19][20] The verb "to play the Siphnian" appears in a fragment of Aristophanes and has a similar meaning;[21][22] the usage is once again explained in the Suda, where it is said to mean "to touch the anus with a finger".[23] Diogenes Laërtius records how the Cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope directed the gesture at the orator Demosthenes in 4th-century BC Athens.[3] In the Discourses of Epictetus, Diogenes's target is instead one of the sophists.[24]

In Latin, the middle finger was the digitus impudicus, meaning the "shameless, indecent or offensive finger".[5] In the 1st century AD, Persius had superstitious female relatives concoct a charm with the "infamous finger" (digitus infamis) and "purifying spit";[27][28] while in the Satyricon, an old woman uses dust, spit and her middle finger to mark the forehead before casting a spell.[29] The poet Martial has a character in good health extend "the indecent one" toward three doctors.[5][30] In another epigram, Martial wrote: "Laugh loud, Sextillus, at whoever calls you a cinaedus and extend your middle finger."[31][32]Juvenal, through synecdoche, has the "middle nail" cocked at threatening Fortuna.[33] The indecent finger features again in a mocking context in the Priapeia, a collection of poems relating to the phallic god Priapus.[6] In Late Antiquity, the term "shameless finger" is explained in the Etymologiae of Isidore of Seville with reference to its frequent use when accusing someone of a "shameful action".[34]

Modern era

Linguist Jesse Sheidlower traces the gesture's development in the United States to the 1890s. According to anthropologist Desmond Morris, the gesture probably came to the United States via Italian immigrants.[5] The first documented appearance of the finger in the United States was in 1886, when Old Hoss Radbourn, a baseball pitcher for the Boston Beaneaters, was photographed giving it to a member of their rival the New York Giants.[5] In the film Speedy (1928), Harold Lloyd's character gives himself the finger into a distorting mirror at Luna Park, about 25 minutes into the film.

Cultural impact

Politics and military incidents

The gesture has been involved in notable political events. During the USS Pueblo incident, in which an American ship was captured by North Korea, the captured American crewmembers often discreetly gave the finger in staged photo ops, thus ruining the North Koreans' efforts at propaganda. The North Koreans, ignorant of what the gesture meant, were at first told by the prisoners that it was a "Hawaiian good luck sign", similar to the shaka. When the guards finally figured things out, the crewmembers were subjected to extremely severe beatings.[36] Abbie Hoffman used the gesture at the 1968 Democratic National Convention.[4] Ronald Reagan, while serving as the Governor of California, gave the middle finger to counterculture protestors in Berkeley, California.[4] Nelson Rockefeller, then the Vice President of the United States, directed the gesture to hecklers at a 1976 campaign stop near Binghamton, New York, leading it to be called the "Rockefeller gesture".[4] Pierre Trudeau, then the Prime Minister of Canada, gave the finger to protesters in Salmon Arm, British Columbia,[37] earning the incident the nickname the "Salmon Arm salute".[38] The gesture itself has also been nicknamed the "Trudeau salute".[citation needed] Former president George W. Bush gave the finger to the camera at an Austin production facility during his term as governor of Texas, saying it was "just a one-finger victory salute."[39] Anthony Weiner gave the finger to reporters after leaving his election headquarters the night he lost the 2013 primary election for Mayor of New York City.[40] During the campaign for the 2013 German federal election, the leading candidate of the Social Democratic Party of GermanyPeer Steinbrück controversially gave the finger in a photo interview with Süddeutsche Zeitung'Magazin supplement.[41]

During World War II, the 91st Bombardment Group of the United States Army Air Forces referred to the gesture as the "rigid digit" salute. It was used in a more jocular manner, to suggest an airman had committed an error or infraction; the term was a reference to British slang terms for inattentiveness (i.e. "pull your finger out (of your bum)").[42] The "order of the rigid digit" continued after the war as a series of awards presented by the veteran's association of the 91st, marked by wooden statuettes of a hand giving the single finger gesture.[43] In 2005 during the war in IraqGunnery Sergeant Michael Burghardt gained prominence when the Omaha World-Herald published a photo of Burghardt making the gesture towards Iraqi insurgents he believed to be watching after an improvised explosive device failed to kill him.[44]

The middle finger has been involved in judicial hearings. An appellate court in Hartford, Connecticut ruled in 1976 that gesturing with the middle finger was offensive, but not obscene, after a police officer charged a 16-year-old with making an obscene gesture when the student gave the officer the middle finger.[45] The case was appealed to the Connecticut Supreme Court,[46] which upheld the decision.[47] In March 2006, a federal lawsuit was filed regarding the free speech issue.[48]

Giving the finger has resulted in negative consequences. A Malaysian man was bludgeoned to death after giving the finger to a motorist following a car chase.[49] A Pakistani man was deported by the United Arab Emirates for the gesture, which violates indecency codes.[50]

People have given the finger as a method of political protest. At a concert, Ricky Martin gave a picture of George W. Bush the finger to protest the War in Iraq.[51]Serbian protesters gave the finger to the Russian embassy regarding their support of Slobodan Milošević.[52] Artist Ai Weiwei has used the finger in photographs and sculptures as a political statement.[53] As a political message to the Czech President Miloš Zeman, Czech artist David Černý floated an outsize, purple statue of a hand on the River Vltava in Prague; its middle finger extended towards Prague Castle, the Presidential seat.[54]

In popular culture

The use of the middle finger has become pervasive in popular culture. The band Cobra Starship released a song called "Middle Finger", and released a music video that showed people giving the finger.[55] Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan installed a marble statue of a middle finger measuring 11 metres (36 ft), located directly in front of the Milan Stock Exchange.[56] A now-famous photograph of Johnny Cash shows him giving the middle finger to a photographer during a 1969 concert at San Quentin State Prison, released as At San Quentin.[57] However, the photo remained fairly obscure until 1998, when producer Rick Rubin made it the centerpiece of an ad in Billboard criticizing country radio for not giving airplay to Cash's Grammy-winning album Unchained.[58] Cameron Diaz made the gesture during a photo shoot for Esquire.[59] Harold Lloyd shot the finger to his own reflection in a Coney Island funhouse after getting paint on his suit in Speedy, his final silent feature, from 1928.[60]

Athletes, including Stefan EffenbergRon ArtestLuis SuárezJuan Pablo MontoyaIván RodríguezDanny GravesJack McDowellNatasha ZverevaJosh SmithBryan Cox, and Johnny Manziel[61] have been suspended or fined for making the gesture.[5][59][62][63][64] José Paniagua was released by the Chicago White Sox after giving the middle finger to an umpire; he hasn't played in the majors since.[62] Baseball executive Chub Feeney once resigned after giving the finger to fans on Fan Appreciation Night.[62][65] Bud Adams, owner of the National Football League's Tennessee Titans, was fined US$250,000 for giving both middle fingers to the fans of the Buffalo Bills during a game.[66][67] Professional wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austinis also famous for flashing one or both middle fingers as part of his gimmick. Hockey star Jaromír Jágr made the gesture several times following goals in the early 1990s.[68]

The NME Awards, an annual music awards show in the UK, uses an extended middle finger design in the trophy handed out to the winners.[69] Many musical artists, including MadonnaLady GagaEminemAriana GrandeKaty Perry, and Adelehave publicly made the gesture.[70][71][72] Britney Spears and Iggy Azalea have given the gesture towards members of the paparazzi, but had to apologize when fans interpreted the gesture as directed at them.[5] M.I.A. gave the gesture during the Super Bowl XLVI Halftime Show.[5][73] The National Football LeagueNBC, and M.I.A. apologized.[5][74] The CD itself for Kid Rock's album Devil Without a Cause is a picture of his raised middle finger. On the cover of Moby Grape's first album, Moby Grape, band member Don Stevenson was caught flipping the bird at the camera. The finger was airbrushed out of subsequent releases of the album.

In automobile driving culture, giving the finger to a fellow motorist communicates displeasure at another person's reckless driving habits and/or their disregard for common courtesy.[75]

The finger is included in Unicode as U+1F595 🖕

The media sometimes refers to the gesture as being mistaken for an indication of "we're number one", typically indicated with a raised index finger.[65][77][78]Sometimes, though, the "mistake" is actually an intentional euphemism meant to indirectly convey the gesture in a medium where a direct description would be inappropriate. For example, Don Meredith is famously noted in a 1972 Monday Night Football game describing the Finger of a dejected Houston Oilers fan as, "He thinks they're number one in the nation."[79] Ira Robbins, a law professor, believes the finger is no longer an obscene gesture.[5] Psychologist David Walsh, founder of the National Institute on Media and the Family, sees the growing acceptance of the middle finger as a sign of the growth of a "culture of disrespect".[59]

Google Street View's picture of the area around the Wisconsin Governor's Mansion, taken in 2011 during the tenure of Scott Walker, shows a jogger giving the finger in the direction of the mansion.[80]

Similar gestures

In the United KingdomIrelandAustralia and New Zealand, the V sign, "two-fingered salute" or "the fingers", when given with back of the hand towards the recipient, serves a similar purpose. According to a Royal Shakespeare Company synopsis of the play Henry V, a "two-fingered salute" appeared in the Macclesfield Psalter of c. 1330 (in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge), "being made by a glove in the psalter's marginalia”. George H. W. Bush, former President of the United States, accidentally made the gesture while on a diplomatic trip to Australia.[81]

In countries where Spanish, Portuguese or French are spoken, and especially in SpainPortugalBrazil and France, the gesture involving raising a fist and slapping the biceps on the same arm as the fist used, sometimes called the bras d'honneur (French), corte de mangas (Spanish) or Iberian slap, is equivalent to the finger.

ItalyPoland and countries under the influence of Russian culture,[citation needed] such as RussiaBelarus and Ukraine, also see it as equivalent to the finger, but the majority of young people in these countries use the finger as an insult, which is associated with the Western culture.[5]

In Islamic countries and cultures, a gesture involving exposing only the thumb in a vertical orientation – a thumbs up – is used in lieu of the finger to express roughly the same sentiment.[82] A similarly obscene gesture is extending all five digits with the palm facing forward, meaning "you have five fathers", thus calling someone a bastard.[82] This is similar to a gesture known in Greece as the Moutza, where the five fingers are spread wide and the palm is pushed towards the recipient.[83] More commonly in Turkish or Slavic regions, the fig sign (also known as nah or shish) serves as the equivalent to the finger, meaning "you won't get it" or "in your dreams". The gesture is typically made with the hand and fingers curled and the thumb thrust between the middle and index fingers. This gesture is also used similarly in IndonesiaTurkey and China.[84]

Link

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

38 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

incognito mode my friend 

37 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I stopped my ad blocker for this site months ago after you explained that. Given my technological ineptitude, if I can do so, anybody should be able to.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I don't speak sign language, so I had to look that one up:

You’re a monster and I’m editing that out :foottap:

Just now, SleepingGiantFan said:

I stopped my ad blocker for this site months ago after you explained that. Given my technological ineptitude, if I can do so, anybody should be able to.

And I appreciate that!

43 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I personally like the banner ads. It reminds me of the killer shit I was eyeballing the day earlier and proceeded to forget about. Dude, Idk if it benefits you, but I click on those banners all the time - after all, it's shit I was already interested in anyway.  :rock:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg