Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CPslograd

Do you look up at the stars or down at the campfire?

I almost added this to the iPhone thread, but decided not to.

After the kids are asleep when I'm when we are camping I sit out at the fire and have a couple pops.  I go back and forth between looking up at the stars and looking down at the fire.  Not to sound like a bunch of new age BS but when I look at the campfire I think inward, about what is going on in my life right now.  When I look up at the stars I think about other things not related to my current issues, I think "outward" for lack of a better word.

I think looking at little screens on our phones causes the same kind of deal.  It's like looking at the campfire.

3 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

After the kids are asleep when I'm when we are camping I sit out at the fire and have a couple pops.  I go back and forth between looking up at the stars and looking down at the fire.  Not to sound like a bunch of new age BS but when I look at the campfire I think inward, about what is going on in my life right now.  When I look up at the stars I think about other things not related to my current issues, I think "outward" for lack of a better word.

I think looking at little screens on our phones causes the same kind of deal.  It's like looking at the campfire.

Maybe I'm simplistic. ...I look at the fire and think 'hot' and ' why does the funking smoke always come my direction ". I look at the stars and think 'far' and ' it'd be cool to see an alien craft". :shrug:

17 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Maybe I'm simplistic. ...I look at the fire and think 'hot' and ' why does the funking smoke always come my direction ". I look at the stars and think 'far' and ' it'd be cool to see an alien craft". :shrug:

The smoke blows towards beauty.  It is a scientific fact!   I have the same problem.

This is what I love most about camping. I enjoy going up to Lee Vining near Mammoth and the stargazing is amazing up there. I'll make a s'more over the campfire then sit back with my cup of coffee and stare up into the sky and get lost in my own thoughts. Sometimes I'll see the ISS fly overhead and it blows my mind that I'm watching a person fly around up there.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

54 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Thank you for posting this.  There is something special about sitting around a campfire at night, out of cell service.  I never thought about this until now though, despite the outdoors being more home away from home for most my life.  You are absolutely right.  When talking with others around the fire where people are looking depends on the conversation.  When we are sharing stories about the past we tend to be staring at the fire, when we are talking about each others lives outside this moment we are looking at one another or at the fire.  When the conversation switches the nature of the human condition, life on other planets, anything spiritual, we all tend to look skywards.

When I am alone, which is more often than being with company, I stare at the fire when thinking about my relationships, past failures and successes, contemplating my future.  When my internal dialogue switches to greater things outside myself, I am always staring at the sky.

When I look up at the stars I think of lost family members in the heavens, when I look at the fire I think, it’s about time to throw another piece of wood on the fire.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Every September when I go turkey hunting in Missouri I look at the stars every night,. My uncle has 42 acres in the middle of nowhere and there is no light pollution. I rarely get that opportunity and I love it. Besides that another thing I love about when I'm there is getting out to the turkey blind an hour before the sun comes up. I sit alone inside the blind in pitch dark and just listen to nature all around me. It gives me a perspective on life and makes me realize how small as an individual we really are. Many times when I'm home and feel stress from my business or anything else I think about that and it gives me perspective that things aren't all that bad. 

Especially living in a city there is something about being in nature by yourself that takes away all the BS in everyday life and makes you realize what is really important and what isn't. 

7 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

Every September when I go turkey hunting in Missouri I look at the stars every night,. My uncle has 42 acres in the middle of nowhere and there is no light pollution. I rarely get that opportunity and I love it. Besides that another thing I love about when I'm there is getting out to the turkey blind an hour before the sun comes up. I sit alone inside the blind in pitch dark and just listen to nature all around me. It gives me a perspective on life and makes me realize how small as an individual we really are. Many times when I'm home and feel stress from my business or anything else I think about that and it gives me perspective that things aren't all that bad. 

Especially living in a city there is something about being in nature by yourself that takes away all the BS in everyday life and makes you realize what is really important and what isn't. 

When you feel the need for stars, just go up to Great Basin NP. Only a few hrs from Vegas. Some of the best stargazing in the country.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

When you feel the need for stars, just go up to Great Basin NP. Only a few hrs from Vegas. Some of the best stargazing in the country.

Actually, there's an even better spot in Nevada. Massacre Rim in northwest Nevada was recently added as an "International Dark Sky Sanctuary".

"Only 10 dark sky sanctuaries exist in the world, with four of them in the U.S. At more than 100,000 acres, Massacre Rim is the largest one in the country."

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/01/747037627/this-remote-corner-of-nevada-is-one-of-the-darkest-places-in-the-world

https://www.nevadawilderness.org/massacre_rim_wsa_dark_sky_sanctuary

34 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Actually, there's an even better spot in Nevada. Massacre Rim in northwest Nevada was recently added as an "International Dark Sky Sanctuary".

"Only 10 dark sky sanctuaries exist in the world, with four of them in the U.S. At more than 100,000 acres, Massacre Rim is the largest one in the country."

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/01/747037627/this-remote-corner-of-nevada-is-one-of-the-darkest-places-in-the-world

https://www.nevadawilderness.org/massacre_rim_wsa_dark_sky_sanctuary

I'll be near that area during Labor Day weekend.

11 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You going to the Burn?

Nope I stay far away from that. I'm going to the Pine Forest Range (Blue Lake, Knott Creek and Onion Reservoir) near Denio and its on the other end of the Sheldon Antelope Range from Massacre Rim.

No open fires allowed in the wilderness area....but a shot of whisky and the milky way on moonless nights makes up for it.

At 9000ft my best description is frozen fireworks.

I don't really get philosophical much, im just  glad im outside....sometimes you can hear the mist people.