Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Best School Mascots!

9 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Yes, minors should be resolving our most complex issues with their vast experience...

Ill concede per this, sounds like the minors did a fine job resolving conflict and compromising, but there is NO rational basis for these children to be effectuation monumental historical changes based on their school project...

In this case especially, as there is no negative connotation for being brave, I don’t see this case resembling any other prior mascot change president.

Everone agrees that a group of “brave” people has a POSITIVE connotation.

This was essentially spearheaded by a totally unrelated 3rd party who was unreasonably offended for other people.  Then after he spammed Facebook, everyone aligned with the obvious PC paradigm thinking there is actual HARM....

Whi in this situation has been harmed?

*legal question* who here knows of any bar for 3rd party standing in 1st amendment federal cases?  I need a plaintiff.....

"monumental historical changes". LOL, oh feck, come on drama queen. They're going from "Braves" to "Brave". Holy shet, that is a gross misuse of that phrase. 

"Everone agrees that a group of “brave” people has a POSITIVE connotation." Yeah... and that is EXACTLY what they changed the name to. So what's your issue? In fact, that is almost exactly what they said when they changed it. “Boise High Brave is a character trait. It is a reflection of what we ask of our students and teachers every day,” Boise High Principal Robb Thompson said in a statement.

This happens in sports and with schools all the time.They change names, mascots, and colors all the time. It doesn't turn the school/team into a completely different entity. In two years, it'll be completely forgotten and you can unbunch your panties.

14 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

A more brilliant compromise would have been working with the First Nations to make sure the school wouldn’t be using any offensive or inaccurate stereotypes. Don’t do stupid tomahawk chops, face paint, head dresses, drum chants, whooping noises and that type of shit. Also don’t use humanistic character depictions in logos. Ask the First Nations what ways they believe the mascot could generate helpful dialogue about atrocities committed in the past but also enlightening insights about their culture that could be educational. 

Dude, they have giant "humanistic character depictions" on the school. Again, we're talking about "Braves" vs "Brave"... they're not changing it to the Anteaters. It's the singular of the same fecking word. 

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Things change all the time. It's called progress. Boise State University used to be Boise College and before that Boise Junior College. The Colorado State Rams used to be the Colorado A & M Aggies. But times changed and they changed with it. Boise High is the #1 rated public school in the state. It's great to see that they aren't just teaching the ABC's and 123's, but also critical thinking, empathy, and empowering the kids. These soon-to-be adults felt strongly about something, the administration listened to them, and while it was a five year process, they were able to make change. I think that's an invaluable lesson. And in the grand scheme of things, they went from Braves to Brave. In two years no one will even remember it happened. 

Except that the student body will be critically thinking about the decision made and therefore will be unable to forget the decision made. The eventual constant letters of appreciation from all native tribes in the country will also make it hard to forget. 

10 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Dude, they have giant "humanistic character depictions" on the school. Again, we're talking about "Braves" vs "Brave"... they're not changing it to the Anteaters. It's the singular of the same fecking word. 

Other than the decorative stone in front, there is nothing so large or structurally secured that can’t be modified if culturally inappropriate. Jesus, have you ever been to Boise High?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Lol. A “bronco” is a wild horse. Can be male or female. 

The argument those people were making is that “bronco” was defined as an untamed male stallion. 

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

Things change all the time. It's called progress. Boise State University used to be Boise College and before that Boise Junior College. The Colorado State Rams used to be the Colorado A & M Aggies. But times changed and they changed with it. Boise High is the #1 rated public school in the state. It's great to see that they aren't just teaching the ABC's and 123's, but also critical thinking, empathy, and empowering the kids. These soon-to-be adults felt strongly about something, the administration listened to them, and while it was a five year process, they were able to make change. I think that's an invaluable lesson. And in the grand scheme of things, they went from Braves to Brave. In two years no one will even remember it happened. 

Again, good for the kids, but how is it in anyway reasonable to grant children decision making aurhority over such incredibly complex issues?

It makes about as much sense as tasking a group of 3rd graders to replace America's aging power grid; I'll bet you those little tikes could iron out a really cute agreement in less than 3 days.  Not only would our power issues be resolved, but the kids would also learn about sharing, listening with their ears, and maybe even how a potato can power up a light bulb....  

Win, win, win.

But I guess, my question is self-explanatory....  Zit-faced teenagers have always been known as the most well-reasoned, informed, and experienced members of our society, and so quite naturally, we've always vested our important decision making power with our pubescent youths since the dawn of time...

New-Signature.jpg

12 minutes ago, TheLostSock said:

Except that the student body will be critically thinking about the decision made and therefore will be unable to forget the decision made. The eventual constant letters of appreciation from all native tribes in the country will also make it hard to forget. 

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. This will completely and totally be forgotten in a very short amount of time.

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. This will completely and totally be forgotten in a very short amount of time.

Its a smart ass way of showing you your well informed engaged entire student body narrative is pc bunk. 

11 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Other than the decorative stone in front, there is nothing so large or structurally secured that can’t be modified if culturally inappropriate. Jesus, have you ever been to Boise High?

LOL, yeah. I went there and live right by it. I ride my bike by it almost daily. And what fecking difference would it make if I hadn't? You two and trying to make it about the place that it's coming from and not the message.

45 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

It wasn't some old white dude that started it

You're right, it was a transgender millenial with zero native american affiliations that started the Facebook page. 

New-Signature.jpg

1 minute ago, TheLostSock said:

Its a smart ass way of showing you your well informed engaged entire student body narrative is pc bunk. 

I feel like wherever you went maybe should have focused more on the "ABCs" and "123s". Possibly get that down before they move on to the critical thinking part. That sentence is almost impossible to read.

2 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

You're right, it was a transgender millenial with zero native american affiliations that started the Facebook page. 

Again, you guys are so focused on the wrong thing. Who fecking cares if it was a god damn alien who started it? Honestly, it's completely irrelevant. This is why phrases like "Don't shoot the messenger" exist in our vernacular.

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Again, you guys are so focused on the wrong thing. Who fecking cares if it was a god damn alien who started it? Honestly, it's completely irrelevant. This is why phrases like "Don't shoot the messenger" exist in our vernacular.

Dude, you're embarrassing yourself at this point.

It seems like perhaps you have a child or loved one who participated in the process, and you're personally seeking to vindicate their efforts through some very tortured rational.. I'd support my kid too, but get real here.  Ironically, you sound like a high school kid defending the decision making process in question.

You've always been pretty cool, so I'm not going to belabor the point, but you're really straining on this one - it's really not that difficult to understand..

New-Signature.jpg

I always thought the Washington Redskins should become the Washington Pigskins, paying homage to their OL, their fans who dress like hogs, and the nickname for a football.

They make millions off the rebranding. Plus they put to bed this debate. No one cares what the f’ing team is called. Problem solved. 

54 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

LOL, yeah. I went there and live right by it. I ride my bike by it almost daily. And what fecking difference would it make if I hadn't? You two and trying to make it about the place that it's coming from and not the message.

You’re not making any sense. I maintain the point that the school capitulated without due diligence, this was a purely emotional reactionary decision. Also, I’ve discussed the message intent throughout this thread so stop pulling shit out of your ass.

47 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Dude, you're embarrassing yourself at this point.

It seems like perhaps you have a child or loved one who participated in the process, and you're personally seeking to vindicate their efforts through some very tortured rational.. I'd support my kid too, but get real here.  Ironically, you sound like a high school kid defending the decision making process in question.

You've always been pretty cool, so I'm not going to belabor the point, but you're really straining on this one - it's really not that difficult to understand..

Nope. I just have an open mind. The fear of change is a disease I deal with often in Boise. This town is completely mortified by the concept. Embarrassing myself? Not even close. Every point I've made is valid and you haven't addressed any of them. Your reason not to change the name is almost an exact quote of the Principal's reason to change the name. Come on, bruh, you're not embarrassed by that? "Monumental historical changes" between the words "Braves" and "Brave"? Are you reading your own posts?