Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Best School Mascots!

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

You’re not making any sense. I maintain the point that the school capitulated without due diligence, this was a purely emotional reactionary decision. Also, I’ve discussed the message intent throughout this thread so stop pulling shit out of your ass.

They started the process in 2014. How much due diligence should they taken? Quarter of a century? 

BTW, I was monumentally against the change when I first heard of it years ago. After getting all of the information and seeing the compromise they came up with, I think they nailed it. I was a Boise High Brave and every student that graduates from the school from here on will also be a Boise High Brave. I feel like you guys are more concerned about the place that you think it's coming from more than the actual change. 

BTW, I still even catch an occasional Boise High football or basketball game. The Boise v. Timberline basketball games are really fun. Packed house, tons of energy, big student turnout, and the kids get after it. It's pretty vicious. Every time I'm there I always envy the atmosphere and wish Boise State basketball games had that energy. 

5 hours ago, Broncomare said:

They should just change it to Boise High Sucks at Football and all Hale the Unconquerable Capital Eagles!!

I wonder if people are going to start crying about Laramie's High School mascot:

Image result for laramie high plainsman

The junior high is a Scout, high school a Plainsmen and then UW Cowboys!

We're really good at the small weird sports. Haven't been good at football since the Timberline split.

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

We're really good at the small weird sports. Haven't been good at football since the Timberline split.

Haven’t been good at football well before timberline was formed. One state title and that was in 1980. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

1 minute ago, boisewitha-s said:

Haven’t been good at football well before timberline was formed. One state title and that was in 1980. 

We were ranked #1 in the state when I was a SO in '89. Lost in the semifinals of state, but we were one of the best teams in the state. They were pretty good after I graduated, too. 

58 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

They started the process in 2014. How much due diligence should they taken? Quarter of a century? 

BTW, I was monumentally against the change when I first heard of it years ago. After getting all of the information and seeing the compromise they came up with, I think they nailed it. I was a Boise High Brave and every student that graduates from the school from here on with also be a Boise High Brave. I feel like you guys are more concerned about the place that you think it's coming from more than the actual change. 

By due diligence I’m talking about including multiple stakeholders in the research and evaluation process and simply being fully transparent about the data and information collected. Because one Nation made a stink about this issue the school made this choice. 

The actual change is stupid. I mean, WTF is the logo going to be? They should have just went on with the approach of a B logo with the feather and discouraging the rituals I spoke about earlier. 

Anyway, you and I are not going to see eye to eye on the mascot. Period.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

By due diligence I’m talking about including multiple stakeholders in the research and evaluation process and simply being fully transparent about the data and information collected. Because one Nation made a stink about this issue the school made this choice. 

The actual change is stupid. I mean, WTF is the logo going to be? They should have just went on with the approach of a B logo with the feather and discouraging the rituals I spoke about earlier. 

Stealing Boise State's "B" wouldn't be a bad idea. Many high school teams use college/pro logos for their uniforms. They were using Utah's logo last year. Might as well keep it local. They are doing a student contest to come up with the new logo.

8 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The Shoshone-Bannock Tribes are asking state lawmakers to stop Idaho public schools from using Native American mascots.

PrestonIndians32-4-819x1024-240x300.jpg

Also this year:

I agree with the Shoshone-Bannock tribe on the use of 'savages'... 

5 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Things change all the time. It's called progress. Boise State University used to be Boise College and before that Boise Junior College. The Colorado State Rams used to be the Colorado A & M Aggies. But times changed and they changed with it. Boise High is the #1 rated public school in the state. It's great to see that they aren't just teaching the ABC's and 123's, but also critical thinking, empathy, and empowering the kids. These soon-to-be adults felt strongly about something, the administration listened to them, and while it was a five year process, they were able to make change. I think that's an invaluable lesson. And in the grand scheme of things, they went from Braves to Brave. In two years no one will even remember it happened. 

Change is constant and inevitable.

That many folks will, futilely, resist change is also inevitable.

5 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Again, good for the kids, but how is it in anyway reasonable to grant children decision making aurhority over such incredibly complex issues?

It makes about as much sense as tasking a group of 3rd graders to replace America's aging power grid; I'll bet you those little tikes could iron out a really cute agreement in less than 3 days.  Not only would our power issues be resolved, but the kids would also learn about sharing, listening with their ears, and maybe even how a potato can power up a light bulb....  

Win, win, win.

But I guess, my question is self-explanatory....  Zit-faced teenagers have always been known as the most well-reasoned, informed, and experienced members of our society, and so quite naturally, we've always vested our important decision making power with our pubescent youths since the dawn of time...

You believe choosing or changing the name of a high school mascot is an "incredibly complex issue"?

How the phuck do you get thru the day man?!

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Not this one:

Image result for stanford tree

it's taken.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Not this one:

Image result for stanford tree

it's taken.

Too bad as this would have given me some solace:

Stanford-Tree-Mascot-Monday.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

You believe choosing or changing the name of a high school mascot is an "incredibly complex issue"?

How the phuck do you get thru the day man?!

His hyperbole in this thread has been impressive.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:34 PM, Jeffkills said:

Sadly, my 100 year-old highschool macot was raped and murdered just recently...

Goodbye, sweet prince...

schoolpage.jpg

To honor the death for all us Braves out there, and hell, in celebration of all those past or present mascot deaths out there, let's post some cool maschot shit! 

I swear, what was that totally ridiculous mascot with the police cars and criminals on that video of a rally from @k5james??

Like "the criminals" or something.  

My Dad's mascot was the Salmon Savages!  He wore full head dress and everything. 

What's sad is how these offended natives don't seem to care that by eliminating these "racist' mascots, they're really just further eliminating the remembrance of their cutler and heritage from the cavity of our consciousness.  

But then again, it's not very racially PC to have strongly-remembered and understood conception of a one's ancestry; God forbid we actually celebrate racial diversity by acknowledging the various differences between us.  Nope, let’s just all pretend were a mixed race of GooBacks...

BTW, remember this, once things are deemed racist, or otherwise inappropriate, all information related to those things is systematically eliminated from the internet bigtime.  Accordingly, our greatest informational tool is systematically censored literally and effectively, which only mean that various ideas, images, videos, events, allegations, facts, etc., become forever purged and removed from human access...

Because info = power, I suppose stealing power from humanity's biggest information tool is a pretty essential move - if you want to stay on top, anyway...

Censorship is theft - literally.

But don't worry, as long as @mugtang achives this thread, anythig you post here related to a mascot you love won't be totally stollen from the internet....

Just to be safe I guess I'll leave these here:

175521213_1140x641.jpg

boise_brave_rock_2.jpeg

To be fair, I don't think it's offended natives doing this stuff. I think it's white people being offended on their behalf.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:38 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

Also, there was an Idaho Statesman article about the Boise State women’s basketball team a while back where a few people were crying about the Broncos mascot being gender exclusive on the comments section. Seriously ... in the future are we going to knee jerk react and drop that mascot too? 

Oooh. I can't wait to beat the Boise State Mares on the pink turf!

20 hours ago, cgzpack said:

Shelby - go Coyotes! You a Montanan?

5uia60ie0y6mlh618e7c.jpeg

Funny but true story.  In Wiley, CO (southeast corner of the state) the local high school had Coyotes as the nickname for many years until they changed to Panthers. 

3 hours ago, fearthefumanchu said:

Oooh. I can't wait to beat the Boise State Mares on the pink turf!

Hey! I resemble that remark!

down in a hole.jpg