Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Best School Mascots!

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Why does it matter?  This was a student led effort. 

BTW, , other than not changing the name, what would have been a more "brilliant" compromise? 

Yes, minors should be resolving our most complex issues with their vast experience...

Ill concede per this, sounds like the minors did a fine job resolving conflict and compromising, but there is NO rational basis for these children to be effectuation monumental historical changes based on their school project...

In this case especially, as there is no negative connotation for being brave, I don’t see this case resembling any other prior mascot change president.

Everone agrees that a group of “brave” people has a POSITIVE connotation.

This was essentially spearheaded by a totally unrelated 3rd party who was unreasonably offended for other people.  Then after he spammed Facebook, everyone aligned with the obvious PC paradigm thinking there is actual HARM....

Whi in this situation has been harmed?

*legal question* who here knows of any bar for 3rd party standing in 1st amendment federal cases?  I need a plaintiff.....

New-Signature.jpg

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That is a top 30 athletic program in the country you are talking about!!!  One I hold a school record with!!

https://1035kissfmboise.com/bishop-kelly-among-top-30-athletic-programs-nationally/

I will cut you.

You are a BK grad? Your elitist attitude toward SE Idaho now makes all the sense in the world to me. Commie. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner

Best high school logos?

A few come to mind:

The Yoakum, Texas Bulldogs:

CzmV4cxVEAAakAe.jpg

The Yuicapa, California Thunderbirds

e1684fd4-58c1-49d7-9f0f-e35741efa1e5.gif

Finally, the Wyoming, Ohio Cowboys (I like their Royal Blue and White colors)

DynamicImageHandler.ashx?pid=647%26did=1

171110_WHSVFB_068_71.jpg?width=1416&height=797&mode=crop

Guest #1Stunner

I've gotta agree with @Jeffkills

The "Boise Braves" was a cool mascot.   Seems a shame that they dropped it, to appease PC Culture.

Also, having a few native friends growing up, they would always go out of their way to wear Cleveland Indians gear, Chicago Blackhawks gear, and Washington Redskins gear.   They took it as a point of pride.  Sort of how Irish folks might take a liking to Notre Dame..

So what's the problem?

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

So what's the problem?

The Shoshone-Bannock Tribes are asking state lawmakers to stop Idaho public schools from using Native American mascots.

PrestonIndians32-4-819x1024-240x300.jpg

The tribes submitted the paper to the Idaho State Board of Education last month asking the board, the state Legislature and Idaho Gov. Brad Little to ban the mascots, saying their use is racial misappropriation.

In the paper the tribes say that the use of mascots with names like Savages, Redskins and Braves perpetuate racism and stereotyping, and notes that the Shoshone and Bannock tribes have not been asked to be a part of something that directly impacts their members.

The paper lists several Idaho schools that the tribes say use offensive names and mascots, including the Salmon and Salmon River Savages; the Pocatello, Preston, Buhl and Shoshone Indians and the Boise Braves.

Also this year:

In a March 14 letter addressed to the Salmon River School District and the Idaho High School Activities Association, which was distributed to the state’s media Friday, Shoshone-Bannock Tribal Council Secretary Donna Thompson says the Shoshone-Bannock Lady Chiefs players and fans were subject to racist statements from Salmon River players, fans, parents and even the referees.

In addition to alleging two players from the Salmon River Savages told Shoshone-Bannock Lady Chiefs players “to go back to the reservation where they belong,” Thompson wrote that several of the Lady Chiefs “fans were subject to racial taunts from the Salmon River parents (and) fans.”

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The Shoshone-Bannock Tribes are asking state lawmakers to stop Idaho public schools from using Native American mascots.

PrestonIndians32-4-819x1024-240x300.jpg

Also this year:

So... are they the only Indian tribe in Idaho?

Maybe see what the other tribes think.

11 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Also, there was an Idaho Statesman article about the Boise State women’s basketball team a while back where a few people were crying about the Broncos mascot being gender exclusive on the comments section. Seriously ... in the future are we going to knee jerk react and drop that mascot too? 

Lol. A “bronco” is a wild horse. Can be male or female. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Speaking of mascots...I think it might be only a matter of time before the PETA types manage to get CU to stop running Ralphie around the field at football, soccer, and women's lacrosse games.

They should just change it to Boise High Sucks at Football and all Hale the Unconquerable Capital Eagles!!

I wonder if people are going to start crying about Laramie's High School mascot:

Image result for laramie high plainsman

The junior high is a Scout, high school a Plainsmen and then UW Cowboys!

down in a hole.jpg

25 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

They should just change it to Boise High Sucks at Football and all Hale the Unconquerable Capital Eagles!!

We've always hated us some Capital...  Bora too...

You swine bastards...

New-Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I may be biased, but I think Montana has some of the best:

chinook-300x265.jpg?w=980&q=75

Chinook Sugarbeeters

p1070164.jpg

Belfry Bats

GetImage.iaspx?bgColor=F2F2F2&d=44981&p=

Whitewater Penguins

20836-2.gif

Nashua Porcupines

Just to name a few...

Yep I was gonna add the sugarbeeters (one of my hs rivals) but you beat me to it.

48 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

We've always hated us some Capital...  Bora too...

You swine bastards...

I didn't go to Capital but my girls did.  Kicked the crap out of Boise in sports.  Plus, my oldest daughter's graduating class kicked the crap out of Boise when it came to academics.  They were one of the best iin the nation!

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, Broncomare said:

I wonder if people are going to start crying about Laramie's High School mascot:

Probably, DU had issues with their mascot.  

Image result for du boone mascot

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/06/04/du-pioneers-mascot-denver-boone-at-center-of-controversy/

Goddard said the DU administration believes Boone is “racist” and has shown no interest in bringing back Boone to help promote the school’s old-west tradition.

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

Probably, DU had issues with their mascot.  

Image result for du boone mascot

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/06/04/du-pioneers-mascot-denver-boone-at-center-of-controversy/

Goddard said the DU administration believes Boone is “racist” and has shown no interest in bringing back Boone to help promote the school’s old-west tradition.

Pretty soon they'll be coming for Cowboys.....  PETA will say that #cowsmatter

down in a hole.jpg

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Why does it matter that it was student led?  Are HS students really smarter than the rest of us?  Why did there need to be a "brilliant" compromise?  Why not just leave the name alone?  Exactly what was so terrible about the "Braves"?  It really does sound like somebody was looking for a reason to be offended.

Things change all the time. It's called progress. Boise State University used to be Boise College and before that Boise Junior College. The Colorado State Rams used to be the Colorado A & M Aggies. But times changed and they changed with it. Boise High is the #1 rated public school in the state. It's great to see that they aren't just teaching the ABC's and 123's, but also critical thinking, empathy, and empowering the kids. These soon-to-be adults felt strongly about something, the administration listened to them, and while it was a five year process, they were able to make change. I think that's an invaluable lesson. And in the grand scheme of things, they went from Braves to Brave. In two years no one will even remember it happened. 

1 hour ago, Broncomare said:

Im offended by the insinuation only men grow facial hair.