Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

The New Mexico Lobos are the biggest underachievers in the MWC.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

New Mexico produces one maybe two D1 caliber football players a year. Utah produces many many more right out of high school, plus 10 fold more after the 2 year training program missions a lot of kids get to go to in places like Guatemala and Brazil. 

To be fair, NM produces more than that. Still, how often do the best ones actually stay home? Not gonna go to a lot of trouble here but SDSU has two kids from that state and both were offered scholarships by Boob Davie.

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

I thought about that but unlike UNM, UNLV does have some hope. I'm not optimistic like Rebels are but that new stadium might somehow be a game changer for them.

We will see. I think playing in Raiders stadium is going to be a disaster and could very well end Unlv football. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

1 minute ago, boisewitha-s said:

We will see. I think playing in Raiders stadium is going to be a disaster and could very well end Unlv football. 

I suspect we can agree on this. If by 2030 UNLV football hasn't improved significantly, they never will.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
41 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I look forward to New Mexico handing SJSU our only fbs win this year.

My eye twitches every time you capitalize “state.”

Sorry I was educated at a community college....

Plus, I got pride for my State (New Mexico).  I was granted citizenship in 2014.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

New Mexico produces one maybe two D1 caliber football players a year.

Utah produces many many more right out of high school, plus 10 fold more after the 2 year training program missions a lot of kids get to go to in places like Guatemala and Brazil. 

Disagree with this.

Besides, it's irrelevant.  How many D1 athletes does Nebraska produce?  Oregon?  Indiana?

Throw money at the program, and you will see results.

UNM is akin to the University of Utah.  They should have much better coach and stadium than they do.   Pitiful that they are this underfunded.

Also, please spare me any discussion that the State of New Mexico is poor.   Look at their endowment compared to some of the MWC:

Current members[edit]

Institution Location Founded Enrollment Endowment Nickname Colors Joined
United States Air Force Academy Colorado Springs, Colorado 1954 4,237 $47 million Falcons           1999
Boise State University Boise, Idaho 1932 25,540 $107.9 million Broncos           2011
California State University, Fresno Fresno, California 1911 24,409 $161.5 million Bulldogs           2012
Colorado State University Fort Collins, Colorado 1870 33,877 $355.9 million Rams           1999
University of Nevada, Reno Reno, Nevada 1874 21,657 $363.8 million Wolf Pack           2012
University of Nevada, Las Vegas Paradise, Nevada 1957 30,471 $278.5 million Rebels           1999
University of New Mexico Albuquerque, New Mexico 1889 26,278 $452.5 million Lobos           1999
San Diego State University San Diego, California 1897 34,828 $293 million Aztecs           1999
San Jose State University San Jose, California 1857 33,409 $150.1 million Spartans                2013
Utah State University Logan, Utah 1888 27,932 $375.4 million Aggies                2013
University of Wyoming Laramie, Wyoming 1886 12,397 $550.9 million Cowboys & Cowgirls           1999

A

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Lazy community college profs. I hope whoever let that slide didn’t get tenure.

I just said it was the "colloquial" capitalization and we were all good.

Guest #1Stunner

No wonder Lobo Pride is at an all time low.

the State should be ashamed....  New Mexicans deserve 1000 times more than this turd.

1024px-Dreamstyle_Stadium_Exterior.jpg

488997422.0.jpg

Contrast that to CSU (who is the 3rd most popular school in Colorado), who is doing something:

stadium_for_notes.jpg

53 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Yeah, this is what I think. UNLV couldn't get anything going with very little athletic competition. With the Golden Knights and the Raiders now in town, UNLV is very close to being white noise in that town. Playing home games in a stadium that's 75% empty isn't really going to help game day atmosphere. 

37 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Disagree with this.

Besides, it's irrelevant.  How many D1 athletes does Nebraska produce?  Oregon?  Indiana?

UNM is akin to the University of Utah.  They should have much better coach and stadium than they do.   Pitiful that they are this underfunded.

Also, please spare me any discussion that the State of New Mexico is poor.   Look at their endowment compared to some of the MWC:

Current members[edit]

United States Air Force Academy Colorado Springs, Colorado 1954 4,237 $47 million Falcons           1999
Boise State University Boise, Idaho 1932 25,540 $107.9 million Broncos           2011
California State University, Fresno Fresno, California 1911 24,409 $161.5 million Bulldogs           2012
Colorado State University Fort Collins, Colorado 1870 33,877 $355.9 million Rams           1999
University of Nevada, Reno Reno, Nevada 1874 21,657 $363.8 million Wolf Pack           2012
University of Nevada, Las Vegas Paradise, Nevada 1957 30,471 $278.5 million Rebels           1999
University of New Mexico Albuquerque, New Mexico 1889 26,278 $452.5 million Lobos           1999
San Diego State University San Diego, California 1897 34,828 $293 million Aztecs           1999
San Jose State University San Jose, California 1857 33,409 $150.1 million Spartans                2013
Utah State University Logan, Utah 1888 27,932 $375.4 million Aggies                2013
University of Wyoming Laramie, Wyoming 1886 12,397 $550.9 million Cowboys & Cowgirls           1999

A

Endowments of Boise, Fresno and San Jose are truly pathetic. Air Force does not need an endowment. None of our schools have a great endowment but those three are inexcusable. 

20 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, this is what I think. UNLV couldn't get anything going with very little athletic competition. With the Golden Knights and the Raiders now in town, UNLV is very close to being white noise in that town. Playing home games in a stadium that's 75% empty isn't really going to help game day atmosphere. 

After a small bump the first year the Rebels will draw less than they did last year. Their only hope is to get a good P5 coach who has proven himself but that is a slim possibility and if they should hire such a coach they could not keep him. 

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Disagree with this.

Current members[edit]

A

Oregon and Indiana produce a decent amount of HS football talent. Touche on Nebraska. Also, the state of New Mexico is poor. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The New Mexico Lobos are the most disappointing football program, and biggest underachievers in the entire MWC.

New Mexico should be much, much stronger. 

Look at their advantages that some of the other MWC schools don't have.

1.  Flagship school in the State.  They should be getting showered with State funding as the premier school of the State.  They should have great facilities. 

Plus.... No other real competition in New Mexico (NMSU is an ag. school, and a distant 2nd in New Mexico)

2.  Beautiful State...amazing locations ...great place to attend school.

3.  Passionate fans.  Lobos T-Shirts everywhere.  New Mexico fans have pride, and desperately want to support the school.

4.  Beautiful women.  Probably rank at least 3rd for most beautiful women in the MWC.

5.  Amazing food.

6.  Decent population.  Also borders Texas, Colorado, and Arizona---large population recruiting areas in adjacent States!!

What gives New Mexico?  Why haven't you got it together?  Some of the other MWC schools are like the 3rd or 6th best football school in their State...and  located in terrible locations....  

Why don't you have a better Stadium and facilities???  A head coach with a pulse?

You guys are getting robbed.  Why isn't this a major priority!?!

I blame @mugtang.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

When Rocky was here we regularly had 35-40k at the games and they were loud, rowdy crowds for the most part. I went to almost every home game during that era and the atmosphere was electric. It was really something else, and something special to be a part of.

Little did I know at the time how bad things were going to get and how lethargic this program was going to become. 

The point is though, this city and fan base supports a quality product, or at least it did back then. It's easy to think that UNM fans suck based on recent history, but if you weren't actually at the games during the Rocky Long years you simply wouldn't understand how crazy it was around here and how big of a deal football was in Albuquerque.

Give UNM fans something to get excited about (a new stadium and new coaching staff would be a great start) and we come alive. We haven't had anything to cheer about in over a decade. 

17 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The New Mexico Lobos are the most disappointing football program, and biggest underachievers in the entire MWC.

New Mexico should be much, much stronger. 

Look at their advantages that some of the other MWC schools don't have.

1.  Flagship school in the State.  They should be getting showered with State funding as the premier school of the State.  They should have great facilities. 

Plus.... No other real competition in New Mexico (NMSU is an ag. school, and a distant 2nd in New Mexico)

2.  Beautiful State...amazing locations ...great place to attend school.

3.  Passionate fans.  Lobos T-Shirts everywhere.  New Mexico fans have pride, and desperately want to support the school.

4.  Beautiful women.  Probably rank at least 3rd for most beautiful women in the MWC.

5.  Amazing food.

6.  Decent population.  Also borders Texas, Colorado, and Arizona---large population recruiting areas in adjacent States!!

What gives New Mexico?  Why haven't you got it together?  Some of the other MWC schools are like the 3rd or 6th best football school in their State...and  located in terrible locations....  

Why don't you have a better Stadium and facilities???  A head coach with a pulse?

You guys are getting robbed.  Why isn't this a major priority!?!

Oh Stunner, you must have had a slow day.  i'll go ahead and a couple notes without being sarcastic.

1.  No "real" competition.  Since you are talking football,  the in state record is 5-5 over the last decade and NMSU has taken 2 of last 3.  I would say that is the very definition of competition.  Has Idaho ever beaten Boise 5 times in 10 years?  How about USU beating BYU 5 times in last 10 tries?  If you want to talk no in state competition, you are probably thinking of some place like Wyoming.  When the 2 teams line up again in a few weeks, i would say flip a coin.  For better or worse, the athletes will look about the same size and speed.  We are going to get clocked in our 2 opening P5 games agains WSU and Alabama, and UNM is going to get rolled in South Bend.  Then there is basketball where NMSU has won 5 in a row, baseball is something like 7 or 8. I forget.  The point is, this isn't 1938-1958, when UNM actually did win every year in football.  Those days are LONG gone.  If and when UNM ever returns to dominating in state in football or basketball over a decade, i'll gladly admit it.  Based on budgets, current coaches and administrations, don't hold your breath.

2. Yes it is a beautiful state.  It is also sparsely populated and poor, producing preciously few D1 athletes.  Not a good combination to provide a consistent winning football program. It is no coincidence that UNM, NMSU, and UTEP have all struggled mightily over the decades in football but also have been able to put great basketball teams out.  

3. That's cool that you see Lobo t-shirts all over in Albuquerque, considering that is where UNM is located.  In Las Cruces, you see Aggie t-shirts everywhere.  Doesn't mean squat for finding 85 D1 football athletes.

4. Beautiful women.  I've always felt women of the southwest are gorgeous, and Albq is in the southwest, so congrats?  I give El Paso the edge in this category.

5. I do like Mexican food.  El Paso is better, but Cruces and Albq do just fine.

6. Decent population. There you have a point in terms of the Albq metro area.  But this has never been a football crazy population and never will. For better or worse, it just isn't as big a deal as other states and never will be.  You mentioned CSU's stadium.  Why would you ever want to increase capacity if your current stadium sits half filled?  UNM's football stadium isn't actually that bad in my opinion, and is more less about the right size given the program and support it gets.

I agree about your head coach comment.  Looking from the outside, it just seems he isn't the right guy to get the community excited.  I remember a few years back UNM beat Boise, won 9 games, and was averaging less than 20k?  Probably time to give a shot at a younger guy with a more open offense.  Either way, it's going to be a tough year for both D1 programs in NM.  UNM just isn't very good and NMSU has a brutal schedule.  Here's to a fun game next month up north.

3 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Oh Stunner, you must have had a slow day.  i'll go ahead and a couple notes without being sarcastic.

1.  No "real" competition.  Since you are talking football,  the in state record is 5-5 over the last decade and NMSU has taken 2 of last 3.  I would say that is the very definition of competition.  Has Idaho ever beaten Boise 5 times in 10 years?  How about USU beating BYU 5 times in last 10 tries?  If you want to talk no in state competition, you are probably thinking of some place like Wyoming.  When the 2 teams line up again in a few weeks, i would say flip a coin.  For better or worse, the athletes will look about the same size and speed.  We are going to get clocked in our 2 opening P5 games agains WSU and Alabama, and UNM is going to get rolled in South Bend.  Then there is basketball where NMSU has won 5 in a row, basetball is something like 7 or 8. I forget.  The point is, this isn't 1938-1958, when UNM actually did win every year in football.  Those days are LONG gone.  If and when UNM ever returns to dominating in state in football or basketball over a decade, i'll gladly admit it.  Based on budgets, current coaches and administrations, don't hold your breath.

Proving Stunner's point.  New Mexico is underachieving.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

Proving Stunner's point.  New Mexico is underachieving.

Actually it was in response to no in state competition.  And based on their history, no they aren't.  UNM and NMSU are both basketball schools first and foremost.  Most mid majors are good at one or the other, rarely are they good at both over long periods of time.

10 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Actually it was in response to no in state competition.  And based on their history, no they aren't.  

NM State is one of the worst programs in the history of college football(124 out of 130, and 3 of the other 6 are new to D1A).  They havent had so much as an 8 win season since 1965.  Good God - they got evicted from the SUN BELT.  New Mexico, while not great, at least has stretches of decent football on its resume.  They've actually played in more than 1 bowl game in the color TV era.  So, yeah, no competition and yes they are underachieving.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.