Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SleepingGiantFan

Food for thought carried over from the recruiting board

53 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Harsins first to classes, especially his first, had a lot of attrition.  Nearly half that first class left.  3 years ago Harsin made an adjustment seeminglu putting a large emphasis on players academic credentials (count the #ivyoffers) and character.  It seems to have helped as attrition rates have become normalized.

Those first two classes being more or less busts has really hurt us.  On paper these last 3 are all far more talented.  As they mature and become Juniors/Seniors, there should be a noticeable difference.

Here is a good illustration of how the philosophy has changed

2019 Class 
Dartmouth (3) 
Princeton (3) 
Yale (7) 
Cornell (2) 
Columbia (2) 
Brown (2) 
Harvard (2) 
Penn

Brown (2) 
Cornell (2) 
Columbia (2) 
Dartmouth 
Harvard 
Princeton (2) 
Yale (2) 
Penn

Brown 
Columbia (2) 
Harvard

Yale

NOTHING

Good analysis. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

23 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Mostly because a lot of their 'talent' comes from California which has the most overrated talent of all the recruiting zones in the country.  

Here is something that in the history of the world will never be said about UCF, "... the defense to win it all."

Image may contain: text

52 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Another big difference between Boise and the rest of the G5s

You’d think given all of the aforementioned, that Boise would dominate the conference. 

14 minutes ago, Cincy said:

You’d think given all of the aforementioned, that Boise would dominate the conference. 

They haven’t dominated but they have won more games than anyone else while playing in the tougher division. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Boise will go nowhere until it dumps its terrible head coach. #roadto10winsherewecome #fireharsin

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

6 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

He’s not terrible just very average. 

This is exactly the way I feel. Well, not exactly, he's above average. Not great, but he's good. Problem with fans is that everything tends to be black and white. If you're not great, the only other thing you can be is terrible. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

This is exactly the way I feel. Well, not exactly, he's above average. Not great, but he's good. Problem with fans is that everything tends to be black and white. If you're not great, the only other thing you can be is terrible. 

It didn't help that his first year he took the team to the Fiesta Bowl out of the chute.  So he set the bar high for himself.  Just like Tedford, his first two years he wins the div and competes for the MWC CG.  If he fails to make the MWC CG for a third consecutive year, which has never been done by any team in the conference by the way, there are going to be some disappointed Fresno fans and they may feel like Tedford could have done more to get there.  It's just the way that some fans are, they have unrealistic expectations sometimes about their teams.

7 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

It didn't help that his first year he took the team to the Fiesta Bowl out of the chute.  So he set the bar high for himself.  Just like Tedford, his first two years he wins the div and competes for the MWC CG.  If he fails to make the MWC CG for a third consecutive year, which has never been done by any team in the conference by the way, there are going to be some disappointed Fresno fans and they may feel like Tedford could have done more to get there.  It's just the way that some fans are, they have unrealistic expectations sometimes about their teams.

This will be Fresno's most difficult path to the MWCG. This might be the deepest the West has been. Roadies @Hawai'i, @SDSU, @Air Force, and another tough game with Utah State. 

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I may not be remembering right, or just thinking of one play that ended the Vegas Bowl vs Washington (with our best defensive player being sent home) but Joe  Southwick made some amazing plays that  game.  I was totally thinking, where the fck was this guy all season, he was definitely a different QB that game.  

2 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I may not be remembering right, or just thinking of one play that ended the Vegas Bowl vs Washington (with our best defensive player being sent home) but Joe  Southwick made some amazing plays that  game.  I was totally thinking, where the fck was this guy all season, he was definitely a different QB that game.  

He did lead the game winning drive. But he is still the worst QB Boise has had in 25+ years. 

12 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

He did lead the game winning drive. But he is still the worst QB Boise has had in 25+ years. 

He was the highest rated recruit in his class in 2009.

Just goes to show that recruit rankings cannot guarantee whether a player will be any good.

20 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

He was the highest rated recruit in his class in 2009.

Just goes to show that recruit rankings cannot guarantee whether a player will be any good.

He was... and nope, it doesn't guarantee success. But there is definitely a higher rate of success with the higher rated recruits. 

Although, Derek Carr did get re-rated late and was given a 4**** rating by scout and he turned out petty good. 

6 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Taylor Tharp says hello.

76759811_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=

6 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Taylor Tharp says hello.

76759811_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=

Not even close. Give me Tharp WAY ahead of Sliding Joe. Taylor threw for 3,300 yards, 30 TDs, with a 153 pass eff and led a Boise State team that finished 4th in the country in scoring (42.4 ppg). Joe had the worst pass eff of any QB (139) and led the worst offense of the millennium (30.2). On three different occasions under Joe the offense failed to score a TD. And he developed his nickname "Sliding Joe" because of his affinity to slide or run out of bounds just short of 1st downs on crucial drives. 

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Not even close. Give me Tharp WAY ahead of Sliding Joe. Taylor threw for 3,300 yards, 30 TDs, with a 153 pass eff and led a Boise State team that finished 4th in the country in scoring (42.4 ppg). Joe had the worst pass eff of any QB (139) and led the worst offense of the millennium (30.2). On three different occasions under Joe the offense failed to score a TD. And he developed his nickname "Sliding Joe" because of his affinity to slide or run out of bounds just short of 1st downs on crucial drives. 

Name for me a single notable win while Tharp was QB. That guy folded like a tent under pressure. 

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Name for me a single notable win while Tharp was QB. That guy folded like a tent under pressure. 

I'm just giving you facts, bruh. Joe's defense also helped him by leading the country in TO margin. 

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

I'm just giving you facts, bruh. Joe's defense also helped him by leading the country in TO margin. 

So not a single notable win. Thank you.