Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calspartan

SJSU new private luxury dorms to open next summer

SJSU will have a new 19-story "private" luxurious dorm (set for move in next summer) for additional 1063 students.  Instead of market rate rent at $2,789, SJSU students will pay for less than $1,500.  Silicon Valley real estate is insane.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2019/08/02/barry-swenson-at-the-grad-event-hints-at-more.html

And more to be built...on-campus village III next to Spartan Rec in design phase.  

Hopefully this will help the football and basketball attendance with the influx of dorms.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

When I read the op title I immediately thought a new tent city with cots, air mattresses, and sleeping bags with portable toilets has opened up on campus? 

A down payment on a Silicon Valley home can buy at least an entire block of homes in Boise.

Entry level home (848 sq ft) in "affordable" Sunnyvale close to San Jose State sold for $2 million in just 2 days (link below).  

Head into the Silicon Valley exclusive neighborhood homes, and it could buy up the entire boise.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/02/sunnyvale-home-shatters-new-record-with-enormous-price-tag/

https://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-housing-market-expensive-burned-home-sold-2018-5

38 minutes ago, calspartan said:

A down payment on a Silicon Valley home can buy at least an entire block of homes in Boise.

Entry level home (848 sq ft) in "affordable" Sunnyvale close to San Jose State sold for $2 million in just 2 days (link below).  

Head into the Silicon Valley exclusive neighborhood homes, and it could buy up the entire boise.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/02/sunnyvale-home-shatters-new-record-with-enormous-price-tag/

https://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-housing-market-expensive-burned-home-sold-2018-5

So why do you want to live there unless you already own one of those homes?  

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So why do you want to live there?  

* High paying job availability

* Ocean

* Weather

quirkiness culture

* it's home now having gone to colleges here.

I have friends that moved out to Idaho (not by choice; they wanted to start a family but priced out of Silicon Valley).  

They now regretted for selling their Silicon Valley home so quickly instead of rented it out. Could have netted an additional million bucks had they waited for a few more years. 

24 minutes ago, calspartan said:

* High paying job availability

* Ocean

* Weather

quirkiness culture

* it's home now having gone to colleges here.

I have friends that moved out to Idaho (not by choice; they wanted to start a family but priced out of Silicon Valley).  

They now regretted for selling their Silicon Valley home so quickly instead of rented it out. Could have netted an additional million bucks had they waited for a few more years. 

It's pointless for Spartans and Aztecs to argue with Boise and Wyoming fans. They would never be happy living where we do just like we would never be happy living where they do. Why some of them can't just accept that rather than trying to tell us we're nuts is beyond me. Cultural difference perhaps? Naw, couldn't be.

BTW, I checked and befitting its highly impacted status and the requirement that all freshmen live on campus, SDSU has a multi-faceted student housing formula these days. For those who don't know, like SJSU, SDSU is only proximate to the beach so housing isn't nearly as expensive as it is half a dozen miles to the west but it sure isn't Boise either. In that regard, the $1500 per month to live in that new SJSU housing sounds very reasonable to me. I also checked housing at the CSU campus closest to me, CSUN, and it's considerably less expensive. HOWEVER, unlike this SJSU facility and most of the student housing at SDSU, the newest CSUN dorms are about 30 years old with some having been opened in 1959 when the school came into existence so nobody would ever say they're luxurious. Also, CSUN doesn't require freshmen to live on campus.

Boom goes the dynamite.

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

For those who don't know, like SJSU, SDSU is only proximate to the beach ...

YEP!  

San Diego is definitely a trophy location and much better looking coeds!!. But real estate is still not as insane as Silicon Valley - and not even close based on beach proximity. 

49 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

It's pointless for Spartans and Aztecs to argue with Boise and Wyoming fans. They would never be happy living where we do just like we would never be happy living where they do. Why some of them can't just accept that rather than trying to tell us we're nuts is beyond me. Cultural difference perhaps? Naw, couldn't be.

BTW, I checked and befitting its highly impacted status and the requirement that all freshmen live on campus, SDSU has a multi-faceted student housing formula these days. For those who don't know, like SJSU, SDSU is only proximate to the beach so housing isn't nearly as expensive as it is half a dozen miles to the west but it sure isn't Boise either. In that regard, the $1500 per month to live in that new SJSU housing sounds very reasonable to me. I also checked housing at the CSU campus closest to me, CSUN, and it's considerably less expensive. HOWEVER, unlike this SJSU facility and most of the student housing at SDSU, the newest CSUN dorms are about 30 years old with some having been opened in 1959 when the school came into existence so nobody would ever say they're luxurious. Also, CSUN doesn't require freshmen to live on campus.

I grew up in California. I lived there for 35 years. I had a great paying job and nice home when we left. I would have been far better off financially if we had stayed.

So why leave? Traffic congestion commuting to work was ridiculous. An hour each way. Whenever you wanted to go out to eat you had better have a reservation. Go to a movie, long lines. Want to go camping, make a reservation and be right on top of the campsite next to you. When we left there was a serial rapist that was frequenting the area we lived in and had broken in and raped 15-20 women after tieing the husband up. People trying to keep up with the Jones in the neighborhood. 

The firm I worked for opened an office in Boise. I transferred at the same salary and was able to afford twice the home in Boise for the same price we sold our home in Cali for. We had two children and I didn’t have to fear about them going to the local park alone. You can walk around downtown alone at any time of night and not fear someone might mug you. You can be up in the mountains camping by a mountain stream in less than an hour. Skiing is 45 minutes away. On a hot summer day you can float the Boise River. I can take my dog hiking in the foothills in 20 minutes and maybe see ten people in two hours. There are miles and miles of hiking and biking trails. 

The biggest difference I noticed almost immediately is people are not nearly as stressed out and will smile and say how’s it going when you pass them. People in general are a lot more genuine and not into facades. 

Some people love the big city and all that entails. I’m not one of them. 

As a current renter in San Francisco city proper, I can only dream of getting a deal like that.

Good for SJSU for building more student housing. Having less of a commuter school image will payoff in the long run.  

On 8/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, Ram1554 said:

As a current renter in San Francisco city proper, I can only dream of getting a deal like that.

Good for SJSU for building more student housing. Having less of a commuter school image will payoff in the long run.  

You need to make $343,000 to afford a home here.  That means $8,580 a month mortgage compared to just $1,410 nation wide. 

https://www.sfgate.com/ontheblock/article/san-francisco-median-home-price-salary-bay-area-14301047.php