Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calspartan

SJSU tennis got $1.5 mil for 4000 seat stadium size court, and "renovate locker rooms, player's lounge, and coaches' offices"

24 minutes ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

Too be fair with this China trade war those lights are probably pretty expensive!

If I was forced to live in Fresno I would be jealous of others too.

A lack of money will give you little option in where you live. 

4 hours ago, creeper86 said:

A lack of money will give you little option in where you live. 

That must be why you go through multiple sets of knee pads trying to make that Cupertino rent.

Stay safe out there. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:14 PM, Headbutt said:

You know what, I've read too many of these articles on this board. I think football in CA is dying, and dying fast. If Fresno State can't put together a plan for a place to safely attend a football game, then the writing's on the wall.

SJSU has already demolished half of their stadium with no real, financed plan to fix it.  Fresno is without a doubt one of the only two viable G5 programs left in the state and they are buying caulk by the pallet instead of moving forward with a real facility upgrade.  Where is SDSU in all of this?  Are they really going to have a new stadium?  How are they going to pay for it?

I'm not trying to throw shade on our brethren on the coast, but this really is a concern.  My whole life I've recognized one important concept.  If you see something you hate in CA, then brace yourself.  You will get to deal with it in CO at some point.  How long till the G5 as a whole is a dead animal?  The P5, in their usual arrogant stupidity is pushing hard for that outcome.

I know it sounds like a pretty big stretch, but if Clemson and U of Miami want to be playing football in 15 - 20 years, they absolutely need SDSU to be able to field a paying crowd.  Would be good for Fresno to be able to do the same.  Something really has to change in the media funding, otherwise that disease will work it's way east and kill all of us.  Killing off the undesirables in college football will kill off the sport and Alabama will play 12 games per year against Ohio State and no one will give a shit.  Frankly, no one but ESPN currently does anyway.

I'm going to quit ranting and go to bed now.

Cali has already shut down a lot of football programs. Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, Santa Barbara, Chico State, Sonoma State, Humboldt State. I’m sure Im missing a few others. 

UCLA, Cal, Stanford, USC, SDSU, FSU, and SJSU are the remaining FBS programs. UC Davis, Sac State, and Cal Poly SLO the remaining FCS programs. 

I haven’t paid much attention to the JC scene in Cali for a long time, but I imagine many of them have shut down football programs also. 

17 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I haven’t paid much attention to the JC scene in Cali for a long time, but I imagine many of them have shut down football programs also. 

With 68 JC's fielding teams, California still is the state with largest number of JUCO football teams. What will happen in the future who knows.

Sports Illustrated had a long article about JUCO football a few months ago.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/21/juco-junior-college-programs-transfers-closings-prospects

28 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

With 68 JC's fielding teams, California still is the state with largest number of JUCO football teams. What will happen in the future who knows.

Sports Illustrated had a long article about JUCO football a few months ago.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/21/juco-junior-college-programs-transfers-closings-prospects

Cali JC football back in the day used to be ultra competitive. Bakersfield when it was a JC was always a powerhouse and the Gades had a strong following of fans that went to most away games. I’m not sure who the Cali JC powerhouse is anymore. 

Does Cali play a State JC championship game? It seems like they opted out of the NC tournament long ago. 

It would be cool if they resurrected the Jr Rose Bowl again and put the top Cali JC team against the best of the rest national JC team. I think it would draw a lot of interest. 

There is an 8 team JUCO playoff in California. Plus there are bowl games for teams not making the playoffs.

Bakersfield won the state championship in 2012. But they had to vacate the title and wins for the season after being penalized for player housing, meal, and job violations.

5 hours ago, Cincy said:

That must be why you go through multiple sets of knee pads trying to make that Cupertino rent.

Stay safe out there. 

That’s terrible. How come you’re so bad on this site-like lacking complete wit and any semblance of funny? 

My sh*t is always hilarious, so try harder you lil dummy, k?

On 8/8/2019 at 5:01 PM, soupslam1 said:

Cali has already shut down a lot of football programs. Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, Santa Barbara, Chico State, Sonoma State, Humboldt State. I’m sure Im missing a few others. 

UCLA, Cal, Stanford, USC, SDSU, FSU, and SJSU are the remaining FBS programs. UC Davis, Sac State, and Cal Poly SLO the remaining FCS programs. 

Nope.

I don't know about other states but in California, JC football programs operate on a shoestring. They don't give out scholarships, their stadiums are almost never upgraded and almost every road game is within an easy bus ride. Also, because almost all the FCS football programs have been shut down, if a kid believes he has FBS talent but wasn't offered an in-state scholarship to one of those three, his best chance of earning an FBS scholarship is to go the JC route. Indeed, I can't remember SDSU taking a transfer from one of those three FCS schools since Kassim Osgood more than 15 years ago.

I've never really given it any thought before but now having done so, I think the football level that is going to die in California will be FCS. My guess is if, as seems quite likely, the power conferences separate themselves from the G5s that those three schools will either move up to a new mid-major level with those G5 schools who actually have a football future (sorry SJSU) or they'll just close down football as so many of their peers have already done.

Boom goes the dynamite.

23 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Cali JC football back in the day used to be ultra competitive. Bakersfield when it was a JC was always a powerhouse and the Gades had a strong following of fans that went to most away games. I’m not sure who the Cali JC powerhouse is anymore. 

Does Cali play a State JC championship game? It seems like they opted out of the NC tournament long ago. 

It would be cool if they resurrected the Jr Rose Bowl again and put the top Cali JC team against the best of the rest national JC team. I think it would draw a lot of interest. 

23 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

There is an 8 team JUCO playoff in California. Plus there are bowl games for teams not making the playoffs.

Bakersfield won the state championship in 2012. But they had to vacate the title and wins for the season after being penalized for player housing, meal, and job violations.

Fullerton college won back to back state titles in 2016 and 17 but got busted for similar violations. The lack of juco football opportunities in other states leads to recruiting wars between the top programs here and when you don’t have scholarships to give you have to offer something else.

On 8/8/2019 at 6:28 PM, FresnoFacts said:

Do the 8 team playoff replace the bowl games?