Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Hong Kong protests. UPDATE 8/13 . Chinese military is advancing on Hong Kong.

27 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Sorry I was commenting for those who don’t know the history. 

Nothing to be sorry about. Given the general illiteracy Americans have toward geopolitics, providing such a background is probably necessary IMO. 

It's sad to say, but Hong Kong is phucked. With the amount of influence that Tencent has on global tech companies I'm not surprised to see mass censorship on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook and other platforms. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

_108302633_mediaitem108302632.jpg

it seems like travel is becoming increasingly more volatile.  How miserable would it be to need to fly out of Hong Kong and have your flight cancelled because of these protests.  Or a few weeks ago London's Heathrow had a computer outage with British Airways and the potential of an airport strike that would essentially shut down the busiest airport in Europe.

_108302543_mediaitem108302542.jpg

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Too bad the protestors weren't armed. this is going to be like shooting fish in a barrel as a result. 

People should take note here as to what happens to protestors in a country ruled by authoritarians where they don't have access to firearms. Lovely. 

frustrated george costanza GIF

1 hour ago, Uncle Juan said:

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the board Commies are avoiding this thread like the plague?

Do you somehow think opposition to the Chinese stamping out protests in favor of democracy is controversial?  Jesus, how much more clueless can you get?

Given how much our own democracy is eroded here, we should be the ones rioting in streets.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

frustrated george costanza GIF

You don't need to tell me where you stand on Chicoms vs. Protestors. You've made your point clear as day since your stay here. 

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I'm well aware of the history. I remember watching the handover ceremony as a kid. This just shows that the people who start revolutions aren't poor peasants, they're more or less rich/middle class people who lost something and got pissed and decided to do something about it. 

More precisely, it's students who tend to start revolutions.  

10 minutes ago, Orange said:

Do you somehow think opposition to the Chinese stamping out protests in favor of democracy is controversial?  Jesus, how much more clueless can you get?

Given how much our own democracy is eroded here, we should be the ones rioting in streets.

I wasn’t talking about you genius. But if the shoe fits......

3 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

I wasn’t talking about you genius. But if the shoe fits......

Who are the "Commies"?  Rocket?  I think he has at least 2 or 3 posts on this thread.

15 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

You don't need to tell me where you stand on Chicoms vs. Protestors. You've made your point clear as day since your stay here. 

That reaction has absolutely NOTHING to do with Chinese v. protesters.  At all.

Tho protesters shooting cops is certainly a way to make sure there's WAY more bloodshed.  For the protesters.

I spelled "protesters" correctly here for you 4 times so you have a shot to do better in your next attempt.

4 minutes ago, Orange said:

Who are the "Commies"?  Rocket?  I think he has at least 2 or 3 posts on this thread.

Rocket’s 2 one word posts? You actually engaged in this post as an actual human being for once.

1 minute ago, Uncle Juan said:

Rocket’s 2 one word posts? You actually engaged in this post as an actual human being for once.

Sorry I wasn't a "human being" to you in the thread where you suggested we send a sitting congresswoman back to her shithole.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

Sorry I wasn't a "human being" to you in the thread where you suggested we send a sitting congresswoman back to her shithole.

Yup, you’re impossible to talk to. Let the butthurt go, you’ll enjoy life more.