Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Hong Kong protests. UPDATE 8/13 . Chinese military is advancing on Hong Kong.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/prepared-to-die-hong-kong-protesters-embrace-hard-core-tactics-challenge-beijing-11565038264

Really good article.  For those with difficulty with the paywall

-Protests are undermining key economic areas

-these protests are far more violent than the ones in 2014

-Chinese military doing "riot drills" and ready if needed

Here is a link where you can get updates to just how crazy things are getting, one car rammed the protesters, injuring just one 1, narrowly missing several others.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/aug/05/hong-kong-protest-brings-city-to-standstill-ahead-of-carrie-lam-statement-live

I'm afraid that Hong Kong is going to get stomped on by Beijing. The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for the Hong Kong government, and the defiance is embarrassing the Chinese government.

This could be the end of the "one country, two systems" approach.

If China had a military incursion, the UN wouldn't and probably couldn't do anything. It would be a massacre.

they probably will make a show of force in Hong Kong to take the focus away from mushrooming internal economic problems. 

Too bad the protestors weren't armed. 

13 hours ago, CV147 said:

I'm afraid that Hong Kong is going to get stomped on by Beijing. The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for the Hong Kong government, and the defiance is embarrassing the Chinese government.

This could be the end of the "one country, two systems" approach.

If China had a military incursion, the UN wouldn't and probably couldn't do anything. It would be a massacre.

Hong Kong is under a special economic zone which protects the one country, two systems approach. If China violates that policy then the zone goes away and China will face greater damage from the financial fall out then Trump's Tariffs as most of China financials goes through Hong Kong which is protected from Tariffs.

3 minutes ago, TGIFaanes said:

Hong Kong is under a special economic zone which protects the one country, two systems approach. If China violates that policy then the zone goes away and China will face greater damage from the financial fall out then Trump's Tariffs as most of China financials goes through Hong Kong which is protected from Tariffs.

Which is exactly why these large protests are so grime for the Chinese.

4 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Curious who could be causing trouble in Hong Kong, let me think, hmmmm :hmmm:

I assume you’ll be wearing this shirt when the crackdown happens:

china-fuck-yeah-unisex-tri-blend-t-shirt

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

14 hours ago, Rocket said:

Curious who could be causing trouble in Hong Kong, let me think, hmmmm :hmmm:

Residents of Hong Kong who love freedom? People who reject your bullshit ideology? People who don’t want the state determining their future? 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Protesters completely shut down Hong Kong international airport for the second day.

How long does Xi let this go on?

Not much longer.  The army will soon march in and “arrest” all of the protestors. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

this is pretty cool.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Not much longer.  The army will soon march in and “arrest” all of the protestors. 

Sadly, I think this ends in bloodshed.  These protesters won't give up.  They see no future, no hope for themselves or their children.  

China has had a bad month.   

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

37 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sadly, I think this ends in bloodshed.  These protesters won't give up.  They see no future, no hope for themselves or their children.  

China has had a bad month.   

Nailed it

13 minutes ago, Orange said:

How is China going to handle a massacre inside an airport?  That shit's messy.  I think the protesters may earn some concessions here...

I don't think it will be a massacre per se.  The Chinese military has been practicing non lethal riot control in a nearby city and I am sure the last thing Beijing wants is to lose further legitimacy in the international community having this being labeled as Tienanmen Square II.  But given how heated things are, with protesters armed with bricks and rocks if the military is called I can see several deaths from overzealous youth. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yep, knew it had to be coming today or tomorrow.  We could be watching history in the next 24 hours.

Question is will China rise up if there’s a massacre in Hong Kong?

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Question is will China rise up if there’s a massacre in Hong Kong?

I doubt it.  The main Chinese population doesn't have access to any real information.

China has been selling its people that this is a terrorist incident by extremists.