Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV FB Training Camp

On 8/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, Lester_in_reno said:

Is SBS going to be repurposed? RIP it up for another building?

The university has said the stadium will be closed once the Rebels move to Allegiant Stadium, but I have heard nothing definite announced yet.

The county owns all the land surrounding the stadium and has had a master plan to put more facilities around there (softball complex, walking park, etc.).  UNLV only has the stadium and the asphalted parking immediately surrounding it (and grass tailgate area to the north).  The county has allowed parking on the dirt, but has always blocked asphalting it.  The area around north is LV Wash "preserve".

I believe that a land swap will eventually happen with the county.  The county (or county "aviation" division) owns the 38 acres that would connect the main UNLV campus to the 42 acre site west of there that the UNLV Foundation bought as a potential site for a stadium or campus "village".  That would be the most likely swap.

It was before my time, but the old-timers I've spoken to have said it was "shady land deals" that put UNLV's stadium out in the swamps of Henderson when the state already owned better sites closer (one was around Decatur and Trop) that would have been ideal.

6 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

The university has said the stadium will be closed once the Rebels move to Allegiant Stadium, but I have heard nothing definite announced yet.

The county owns all the land surrounding the stadium and has had a master plan to put more facilities around there (softball complex, walking park, etc.).  UNLV only has the stadium and the asphalted parking immediately surrounding it (and grass tailgate area to the north).  The county has allowed parking on the dirt, but has always blocked asphalting it.  The area around north is LV Wash "preserve".

I believe that a land swap will eventually happen with the county.  The county (or county "aviation" division) owns the 38 acres that would connect the main UNLV campus to the 42 acre site west of there that the UNLV Foundation bought as a potential site for a stadium or campus community.  That would be the most likely swap.

It was before my time, but the old-timers I've spoken to have said it was "shady land deals" that put UNLV's stadium out in the swamps of Henderson when the state already owned better sites closer (one was around Decatur and Trop) that would have been ideal.

I heard that as well. Also that the Green Valley deal (aka Hank Greenspun) was shady as hell, kind of around the same time.

Sad news out of Arkansas State football.  They are our opponent September 7th.  The wife, Wendy Anderson, of head coach Blake Anderson has passed from cancer.  He won't be coaching their August 31st game and no word if he makes it to Vegas.

Condolences to Blake Anderson and the Arkansas State football family.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27424735/arkansas-state-coach-wife-died-cancer

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Windmon is a freshman to keep an eye on.  He was only 17 years old in summer camp (turned 18 Tuesday) so he is still growing (added over 20lbs since arriving last winter after graduating early) and will now play DE instead of LB.

He gets the start since Gabe McCoy has to sit out one game as part of his 5th season waiver since he played in one game as a true freshman.  Current freshmen won't have to deal with that since they are allowed to play in up to 4 games and still red-shirt.

Windmon is a football player.  His HS teammate QB Travis Mumphrey was UNLV's top '19 HS recruit - Mumphrey had SEC, ACC, PAC-12, and Big-10 offers.  When UNLV was recruiting Windmon, he was being called a TE, and caught a lot of TDs from Mumphrey.  He also played FB, and was Mumphrey's backup QB.  After he signed I was surprised UNLV was listing him as a LB.  Both players were recruited by UNLV defensive coordinator Tim Skipper - who recruits heavily in the New Orleans area - so I guess it's not too surprising he wanted him on defense.