Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Boise State fall ball updates

50 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

So, what are the odds that the true freshman starts at QB?

I cannot remember a starting QB not yet being named during the first game week.  

They went one year where they didn't name one. Fans didn't know until they trotted the QB out the first game. I believe it was Zabransky's SO year. 

I've been saying that I'd be surprised if it wasn't Cord. But BJ Rains and Prater did a podcast and they both believe Cord will be the guy. They did, however, both agree that the longer it goes the more likely it's Hank. It would make sense to make FSU think they are facing a mobile quasi-experienced QB and it would seem that if you are going to trot out a trFR, you might as well not let them know before hand. 

25 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

They went one year where they didn't name one. Fans didn't know until they trotted the QB out the first game. I believe it was Zabransky's SO year. 

That QB who got beat out would have been USU OC and mastermind (#ivyoffers) Mike Sanford, Jr? 

Small world.

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

We aren't going to put a true freshman out there against Florida State

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

That QB who got beat out would have been USU OC and mastermind (#ivyoffers) Mike Sanford, Jr? 

Small world.

Yeah, that's right. I was trying to remember who he was going up against. I think the fans really wanted Z because he was younger and could run, so there was a big cheer when he rolled out with the offense. 

Just now, easybronc said:

Hank has only slightly better odds than I do of starting against Florida St

I've been saying all summer that would surprise me. 

I have a theory. The toughest thing for Harsin will be keeping whoever doesn't start. Most fans have come to terms with that being a very real possibility. I think the closer the competition is the more likely Hank (if he doesn't start), at least, stays another year to try and win the job again next year when he has more time in the system. 

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I have a theory. The toughest thing for Harsin will be keeping whoever doesn't start. Most fans have come to terms with that being a very real possibility. I think the closer the competition is the more likely Hank (if he doesn't start), at least, stays another year to try and win the job again next year when he has more time in the system. 

I doubt Hank transfers if he does not get the job unless they give him garbage snaps in  5+ games.  If he is not the guy I hope they preserve his red shirt so he has two years/Cord injury to start. 

28 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I see another Ryan vs Ryp situation, if Cord gets injured a redshirt will be burned - if not then Hank will battle for next season.  

I fully believe Hank will work his redshirt to take over next year.  

24 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

It’s a tough call either way.  

I can think of several instances at CSU when they’ve had to deal with this. First was way back in 2003 with returning MWC POY Bradlee Van Pelt at QB. CSU had a Parade AA freshman QB named Justin Holland and Sonny Lubick committed to getting him snaps.  Second was with Holland as the returning vet and a Freshman QB named Caleb Hanie. And then there was the Nick Stevens/Collin Hill thing in 2016.  I’m not sure there’s a ever a perfectly right or wrong answer.

There’s a fine line between winning and developing young QB’s and keeping everyone happy.  It’s one of the toughest things a D-1 Head Coach goes through.

43 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I doubt Hank transfers if he does not get the job unless they give him garbage snaps in  5+ games.  If he is not the guy I hope they preserve his red shirt so he has two years/Cord injury to start. 

My hope is that Octavius Evans ends up being so good that he wouldn't have stayed more than two more years anyway. Otherwise, that was a big mistake by the coaching staff.

26 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I see another Ryan vs Ryp situation, if Cord gets injured a redshirt will be burned - if not then Hank will battle for next season.  

I fully believe Hank will work his redshirt to take over next year.  

I would think he stays through his RS year, but a little ego stroke certainly wouldn't hurt. 

You would really hope that Hank would stay, just because the style Cord plays with is prone to injury. So he is likely to see the field even if he doesn't win the job. But he's too big a talent to wait four years before playing. 

35 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I would think he stays through his RS year, but a little ego stroke certainly wouldn't hurt. 

You would really hope that Hank would stay, just because the style Cord plays with is prone to injury. So he is likely to see the field even if he doesn't win the job. But he's too big a talent to wait four years before playing. 

If Hank has that much talent, there will be no waiting.   

4 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Not gonna happen..  Cord FTW!

I wanted Hank, but apparently he couldn’t seize the opportunity...

New-Signature.jpg

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

But isn't Cord technically still a redshirt Freshman (eligible for injury redshirt for last season).  That would put Hank only one year behind him. 

Having 4 out of the 5 scholarship QBs being freshman or redshirt freshman is not really optimal.  Will be interesting to see who transfers and who stays.  

Place your % certainty of generating another 1,000 + yard rusher this year now that Duncan is hurt. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Place your % certainty of generating another 1,000 + yard rusher this year now that Duncan is hurt. 

I would say 50%.  Mahone is supposedly the number 1 guy.  But with Van Buren and Holani both getting #2 reps, I'm not sure Holani will have enough carries to get to the 1000+ mark.

It looks like it could be a lot like Lee Marks' (Boise RB coach) senior season.  Three different running backs with 100+ carries, and no one guy getting the 200 carries or so required to hit the 1000 yard mark.  

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I would say 50%.  Mahone is supposedly the number 1 guy.  But with Van Buren and Holani both getting #2 reps, I'm not sure Holani will have enough carries to get to the 1000+ mark.

It looks like it could be a lot like Lee Marks' (Boise RB coach) senior season.  Three different running backs with 100+ carries, and no one guy getting the 200 carries or so required to hit the 1000 yard mark.  

I've been told your WRs might be your best group ever. I wonder if Harsin throws the rock a bit more than past years. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.