Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JuwanHWolv

WCC is a mirror image of the BE. Could it go to 11? SDSU?

On 8/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, JuwanHWolv said:

Firstly, I'm not saying this will happen. Just that there are parallels and the country is shifting to 20 games schedules, and this is all happening in the middle of media rights negotiations.

San Diego State is as much of an institutional fit for the WCC as UConn was for the BE... Neither one of them are Private, or religious...

Nevertheless, if the money doesn't prove to be decent for San Diego State, does there come a point where they start to measure travel costs, and perhaps look at the preferential treatment that Boise State has gotten, and decide to play in the more regionalized WCC?

Dave Benedict, AD at UConn, predicted that conferences who didn't get paid very much would have members making the same decision as UConn. You can hear his interview here. He basically says that the revenue below the Big East level makes it unsustainable.

Combined with Craig Thompson's recent quotes about the conference contracting, the results of the upcoming TV deal may have some unforeseen implications.

Was it the SDSU AD who made a statement awhile back about the Boise deal needing to end?

SDSU is a basketball school as well.

Keep in mind: I'm not advocating for this to happen. I just note the parallels and the easter eggs from the talking heads. 

SDSU is not a basketball school and has no similarities to WCC.  

The only reason I think its viable for SDSU to partner with Gonzaga and BYU is because the MWC revenue distribution robs the middle class.

Craig Thompson has the support of Boise, SJSU, etc... because the teams at the top and bottom of the league actually benefit from the inequitable deal...

But, for the "middle class" (teams like SDSU) money is being taken out of their pocket to pay for Boise and SJSU...

I'm surprised this arrangement has lasted this long.

With the contract up for renegotiation, and Thompson showing no willingness to address the middle class (because he has the support at the poles), if we're going to see movement it will be soon.

And considering Thompson's remark about contraction, it makes sense.

18 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I agree with this.

UConn is not an institutional fit in the Big East either.

That being said, that deal helped both UConn and the AAC. UConn was bleeding money and needed to be more regional. The AAC dropped the worst program in FBS and got over 20 million in cash and prizes.

10 hours ago, JuwanHWolv said:

The only reason I think its viable for SDSU to partner with Gonzaga and BYU is because the MWC revenue distribution robs the middle class.

Craig Thompson has the support of Boise, SJSU, etc... because the teams at the top and bottom of the league actually benefit from the inequitable deal...

But, for the "middle class" (teams like SDSU) money is being taken out of their pocket to pay for Boise and SJSU...

I'm surprised this arrangement has lasted this long.

With the contract up for renegotiation, and Thompson showing no willingness to address the middle class (because he has the support at the poles), if we're going to see movement it will be soon.

And considering Thompson's remark about contraction, it makes sense.

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

Boise's home rights are sold separately, they don't take anything from anybody.  In fact, they give the conference over half what their own rights sold for and only keep a fraction off the top.  Remove Boise from the equation and each team takes a large pay cut.

Your idea is idiotic.  You have shown nothing but ignorance regarding SDSU (basketball school, really?) the WCC and the Boise media deal.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

Boise's home rights are sold separately, they don't take anything from anybody.  In fact, they give the conference over half what their own rights sold for and only keep a fraction off the top.  Remove Boise from the equation and each team takes a large pay cut.

Your idea is idiotic.  You have shown nothing but ignorance regarding SDSU (basketball school, really?) the WCC and the Boise media deal.

I mean no harm.

If other MWC ADs hadn't spoken out in the past about the wrongfulness of this preferential treatment, I certainly wouldn't have had anything to base my opinion on.

Again, its just an opinion.

I'm sure Alabama could say that Tennessee would "take a pay cut" if they were "removed from the equation" but that ignores what a conference is as an entire television product.

In theory, games are 'sold' to the ticket buying fans and television viewers through their relevance to the conference race. Boise's home games are sold to the public as being part of that chase.

As such, there really isn't a home game at Boise that should be treated any differently than a home game at SDSU. The protagonist and antagonist in the narratives should carry equal weight.

If that sounds idiotic, just chaulk my opinion up to not having any skin in the game. It's just common sense that the 'middle class' are getting hosed in the deal. 

Is Tennessee worth less than Alabama? Perhaps. Should they get paid more for their dominance? If it were outside a conference structure, I'd say yes. HOWEVER, the fact that they absolutely are conference mates changes the dynamic. All of a sudden, Tennessee has contributed yearly reputation (rep points) and equity towards building up Alabama. That competitive stake in Alabama's success entitles them to an equal share as a quid pro quo agreement; so a yearly competition advantage isn't sustained via an accumulation of resources to one program over the other.

Thus, Boise's success 5 years ago should have no bearing on next years race.

By treating their home games differently, that's assuredly the case. The middle class is getting squashed economically. Perhaps as concerning is the public perception of this differential treatment, which creates perception issues as well.

I don't think anyone faults Boise. I just think fans are rightly concerned about the upcoming TV deal because there isn't a lot of money involved, and every dollar that's funneled away from the middle leaves a deeper canyon.

As the way the agreement stands, Boise's deal is in competition with the MWC's deal.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:01 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

As a Michigan hoops fan, SDSU has always had a large basketball fanbase up here because of Fisher.

Agreed about the ideological fit.