Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

NMSU vs SDSU

2 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

We received around $10M from main campus when we joined the WAC.  The athletic department was told to spend whatever it took to make a go at things in the WAC.  The NM legislator then ordered is to pay it back.  So we had been paying about $500,000-1M a year to pay it back.  We cut the deficit tp about $5M and then our BOR allowed us an additional 10 additional years to pay it back essentially cutting our annual debt payments in half.  That freed up money to give coaches raises and some other things.

BTW, UNM was about $10 in debt to main campus as well since they were not meeting the annual AD budget and main campus was covering the shortfalls.  The NM legislature has also told them to pay it back.  Their debt mysteriously dropped from $10M to $4.7M and they have received at least 2 more main campus bail outs that have not been added to their debt.  AND, they have yet to make a debt payment.

The 4.7 mil is coming out of the cut programs. Which they will stretch out over 5-8 years don't remember specifics.

21 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

I'm only intending this as a discussion so please don't mistake anything I"m saying as an argument or as disrespect.  I have a friend from undergrad who was a graduate student who now is a tenured professor at NMSU.

I think you underestimate the potential of your soccer team; UCLA's men's soccer isn't huge attendance but it's on campus (!) and we compete against SDSU (soccer only in the Pac 12).  A couple Final Four appearances in men's soccer would be a big deal and a crowds in the FCS football range could reliably happen - national championships might get you into FBS range.

I didn't take it disrespectful.  It's an interesting thought.  

2 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Who cares about the past really?  A future without a NCAA division I men's soccer team in the entire state of New Mexico plus El Paso is a darker future than I care to live in.

A future that likely doesn't include bowl eligibility in the next couple decades doesn't seem particularly bright either

A future without Chip Kelly as UCLA's men's football coach ...

If the MW had a men's soccer conference, the Lobos would still have a mens team.

6 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

The 4.7 mil is coming out of the cut programs. Which they will stretch out over 5-8 years don't remember specifics.

When you were ordered to pay it back, it was closer to $10M.  Why/how did it mysteriously go down to $4.7M?  And why have the latest main campus bail outs not been added to the total debt?  And Nunez has already asked for another bail out in 2020.  I don't understand why NMSU is being treated differently.

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I didn't take it disrespectful.  It's an interesting thought.  

You would also be a Big West candidate with a men's soccer program as that is a staple of their conference, especially with a winning program.  In men's soccer and baseball, the Big West is often as competitive as the Pac 12 in playoffs.

ONLY if you are winning though and it's a big maybe. Hawaii will likely want to see something before travel subing you

AND Portland State would likely need to get the conference expanding out of California first. 

2 hours ago, Monty93 said:

Using that same reasoning, it's more incredible that we aren't in the same conference with USC. We both play Fresno, UCLA and BYU this year. 

OK, I will allow a USC for SJSU trade

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, PojoPops said:

When you were ordered to pay it back, it was closer to $10M.  Why did it go down to $4.7M?  And why have the latest main campus bail outs not been added to the total debt?  And Nunez has already asked for another bail out in 2020.  I don't understand why NMSU is being treated differently.

Maybe because it's the flagship and receives large amounts of research $$$? The legistlator even volunteered 2M to keep the soccer program but UNM turned it down because of it's debt. The other thing is the governor assigns/approves who she wants on the BOR. Personally I would like state goverment out of the Universities and allow educators to run them. 

35 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

What's sad is UNM's men's soccer program averaged about 13K a game. Our USL team sells out most of the time. Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the state and has beem for some time.         Football is going from worse to worst. Since that concussion movie, parents are scared to let their kids play. Our youth leagues are shrinking and 3 HS dropped football this year. 2 of the small schools (1A) dropped to 8 man.

HA...where do you get this stuff?  The capacity at the Soccer complex is only 6200.  

1 hour ago, PojoPops said:

We are getting almost $4M for our three body bag games this year.  That money is being used to prop up the athletic department in lieu of conference money other schools get.  Soccer could never bring in that kind of money.  I would say soccer is a no go.

BTW, we already have the best basketball team in the state (and UTEP).  New Mexico is a basketball state; football is an afterthought in NM.  That is all the prestige we need.

Nmsu has had the better basketball team the last two years vs a rebuilding Paul Weir team.  As a member of the MWC, UNM has a 24-16 record vs nmsu.  (11-9 at the Pan AM,13-7 at the PIT) Nmsu has won only 7 games vs UNM in the last decade. (five in the last three years)  NMSU has a .500 record vs MWC opponents at the Pan AM.  Nmsu is 20-32 vs the MWC all time.  I don't think nmsu would fare well in the MWC.  "Best basketball team in the state" the last two years definitely.  Historically...nope.

Didn't mean to hijack this football thread, but had to react to Pojo's ludicrous statement.  

58 minutes ago, alum93 said:

So what's the initial feeling on your qb and offense after Weber State and UCLA?  The numbers looked good on Saturday.  

Well for one thing, they finally decided to throw Kobe Smith the damn ball! Smith doesn't have the best hands in the world but they're improving and he may not be the fastest guy on the field but he isn't slow either and most of all, he's big and tough. Reminds me of a poor man's Michael Irvin and the guy was open on every play in the second half as UCLA showed stupid determination to continue to try to single cover him. There's a reason why Smith had offers from 8-10 P5 schools including USC and Notre Dame.

The other main WR has now become Jesse Matthews, a local guy who isn't even on scholarship. That kid was scout team POY in 2018 and although slow, he's shown great hands and the ability to adjust his body to the ball.

The O-line pass blocked pretty well Saturday but that might be a bit deceptive because it was about 94 degrees and humid and the time of possession at the half was SDSU 21:30 and UCLA 8:30. Three of UCLA's front seven cramped up in the second half and SDSU now having replaced the largely immobile Christian Chapman with a true dual threat guy, as the game progressed UCLA eventually had very little pressure on Agnew.

Bottom line is I loved what I was seeing. That said, however, NMSU is a sandwich game for us as we host very good USU the following week so you guys definitely won't see anything that SDSU hasn't already shown on offense.

Boom goes the dynamite.

SGF is too polite, what he is really trying to say is we ALWAYS play down to the level of our competition. 

Your guys should be jacked up to play us and emotionally just might have that advantage-(never know till the ball is kicked).

Here is hoping for a injury free exciting game!

18 hours ago, stchas said:

Nmsu has had the better basketball team the last two years vs a rebuilding Paul Weir team.  As a member of the MWC, UNM has a 24-16 record vs nmsu.  (11-9 at the Pan AM,13-7 at the PIT) Nmsu has won only 7 games vs UNM in the last decade. (five in the last three years)  NMSU has a .500 record vs MWC opponents at the Pan AM.  Nmsu is 20-32 vs the MWC all time.  I don't think nmsu would fare well in the MWC.  "Best basketball team in the state" the last two years definitely.  Historically...nope.

Didn't mean to hijack this football thread, but had to react to Pojo's ludicrous statement.  

Yes, Alford used to beat Menzies on a regular basis.  Both coaches are 2 schools removed from NMSU and UNM.  That is basically your reference to the last decade.  Pojo said we have the best basketball program in the state, and we do.  What point of reference would you like to use?  With current coaches and players, we are on a 5 game winning streak.  That goes back 3 years, an eternity in college basketball.  The last game played in the Pan Am the score was 100-65, an epic beat down.  The only reason the margin wasn't 50 instead of 35 was because Jans put in the bench, kind of like when Alabama called off the first unit against NMSU last Saturday.  Fans don't care if your coach or our coach is rebuilding.  They care about the games.  Jans is going into his third year and has yet to lose to UNM (or UTEP) while beating multiple P5 teams.  Weir has yet to beat NMSU going into his third year, and it doesn't look good for 2019 for you guys to end the streak.  NMSU is talented and deep.

So we have overall record and head to head record for multiple seasons now.  I think NMSU is on something like an 8 or 9 game win streak against MWC, i forget exact number.  How about NET rating, the new metric for NCAA?  Last year we ended at 46.  UNM ended at 191.  That is a whopping difference of 145 teams.  NET is supposed to factor in strength of opponents, so it appears by any measure NMSU is the best team in the state right now.  It's a great rivalry and sometimes we are up, sometimes UNM is - like your reference to 10 years ago.  As of 2019, probably not a good idea to argue who has the better basketball program and coach.  It's a no brainer.  Win a couple games head to head next year or two, heck just break the 5 game losing streak, and then bring up the subject.  As long as Jans and Weir are the respective coaches, i like our chances.

Back to football now as we play SDSU and you guys get to pay the bills with a money game and 50 point loss vs ND.  Sucks to have to play money games huh?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Your comment about not doing well in the MWC is like talking about how good TCU and Utah used to be in the MWC.  It's good to relive the old days, but if you look at NET and RPI rankings for several years now, plus head to head, we would do just fine. For last several years we would have been one of top teams in MWC, and i have a ton of respect for what Nevada and Muss did.  USU also was solid last year.  The only thing missing from the resume for last 3 years is an NCAA tourney win.  This year we missed 2 free throws with 2 seconds to knock off final four Auburn.  Hopefully next time the ball goes in.

It's all good though.  I always enjoy talking rivalry games with Lobo fans.  Here's to a fun, injury free game in Albq in 2 weeks for 2 basketball schools that struggle on the gridiron to say the least.  And i am going to try and make the NMSU game at the Pit.  Believe it or not i have not been there since the remodeling.  Is it still proper to call it the Pit?  

18 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Well for one thing, they finally decided to throw Kobe Smith the damn ball! Smith doesn't have the best hands in the world but they're improving and he may not be the fastest guy on the field but he isn't slow either and most of all, he's big and tough. Reminds me of a poor man's Michael Irvin and the guy was open on every play in the second half as UCLA showed stupid determination to continue to try to single cover him. There's a reason why Smith had offers from 8-10 P5 schools including USC and Notre Dame.

The other main WR has now become Jesse Matthews, a local guy who isn't even on scholarship. That kid was scout team POY in 2018 and although slow, he's shown great hands and the ability to adjust his body to the ball.

The O-line pass blocked pretty well Saturday but that might be a bit deceptive because it was about 94 degrees and humid and the time of possession at the half was SDSU 21:30 and UCLA 8:30. Three of UCLA's front seven cramped up in the second half and SDSU now having replaced the largely immobile Christian Chapman with a true dual threat guy, as the game progressed UCLA eventually had very little pressure on Agnew.

Bottom line is I loved what I was seeing. That said, however, NMSU is a sandwich game for us as we host very good USU the following week so you guys definitely won't see anything that SDSU hasn't already shown on offense.

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep an eye on those guys.  I am really curious to see how our sophomore qb and offense looks against a good MWC team.  The spread is 16 and i had predicted a 42-24 loss.  I think we'll move the ball and score points, but probably won't get enough stops to get a W.  Adkins has a strong arm and is reading the field better with each start.  He didn't start until the 4th game of his freshman year.  If our wide receivers can get some separation and the o-line performs decent, he could put up good numbers on Saturday.