Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

NMSU vs SDSU

3 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Now that there is not a Men's Soccer program at New Mexico, is there a chance that New Mexico State drop football and add soccer/futbol ?  I honestly think it would improve their prestige because it would instantly be the best collegiate team in the state and likely better than UTEP's club team.

The Lobo men's soccer team was generally at the top tier of national competition so there is no reason to think that a team in Las Cruces wouldn't be able to tap into the same local talent and perhaps recruit El Paso/Juarez better.  If New Mexico State started a men's soccer team, they'd likely be seen as the top tier of that particular sport in their region rather than third tier to UTEP and New Mexico in football.

We are getting almost $4M for our three body bag games this year.  That money is being used to prop up the athletic department in lieu of conference money other schools get.  Soccer could never bring in that kind of money.  I would say soccer is a no go.

BTW, we already have the best basketball team in the state (and UTEP).  New Mexico is a basketball state; football is an afterthought in NM.  That is all the prestige we need.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

@alum93 and @SleepingGiantFan.  This is slightly OT but.. 

It's incredible to me that SDSU and NMSU, despite sharing many of the same conference opponents, have never been in the same conference together.

NMSU and SDSU have played each other in football just seven times since 1969. The Aggies never beat us but they never get blown out either so as long as they remain at the FBS level so a win can fully count toward bowl eligibility, I'm OK with scheduling them. Although I don't want them in the MWC for football and think they're headed for the Sun Belt in that sport anyway, I'd be fine with allowing them to put their Olys here. Of course, Flagship U would scream bloody murder if anybody else in the conference so advocated.

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Now that there is not a Men's Soccer program at New Mexico, is there a chance that New Mexico State drop football and add soccer/futbol ?  I honestly think it would improve their prestige because it would instantly be the best collegiate team in the state and likely better than UTEP's club team.

The Lobo men's soccer team was generally at the top tier of national competition so there is no reason to think that a team in Las Cruces wouldn't be able to tap into the same talent in New Mexico and perhaps recruit El Paso/Juarez better.  If New Mexico State started a men's soccer team, they'd likely be seen as the top tier of that particular sport in their region rather than third tier to UTEP and New Mexico in football.

So i looked it up.  UNM averaged 1,000 people per game to watch soccer.  I don't know how anyone would ever compare football to soccer at the college level.  I went to a UTEP women soccer game back in the day.  It was a fun and entertaining game.  I bet there were 200 people there tops.  By comparison, there will be somewhere between 15k and 20k for the SDSU game this Saturday.  The following week NMSU will play UNM in Albq in front of 20-25k.  When NMSU hosts UTEP later in the season in football, there will be 20-25k. There is just no comparison between sports.  Would i mind seeing NMSU men's soccer?  No.  I would go to some games.  Would i ever want to see it at the expense of one of the two major sports - football and men's basketball, no way.  

https://golobos.com/cumestats.aspx?path=msoc

14 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

We are getting almost $4M for our three body bag games this year.  That money is being used to prop up the athletic department in lieu of conference money other schools get.  Soccer could never bring in that kind of money.  I would say soccer is a no go.

BTW, we already have the best basketball team in the state (and UTEP).  New Mexico is a basketball state; football is an afterthought in NM.  That is all the prestige we need.

Your football program doesn't fund itself let alone other parts of the athletic department, per the Las Cruces Sun News.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/2018/04/13/can-new-mexico-state-continue-rely-good-fortune-fy-19/496635002/

The FY19 budget is based on the following revenues:

• $4.4 million from the university instruction and general fund
  • $3.2 million from student fees
  • $3.1 million from the state of New Mexico
  • $2.5 million from money games in football and men's basketball
  • $1.3 million for projected ticket sales
  • $1.3 million from NCAA/WAC distribution
  • $1 million for NMSU's multimedia rights agreement with Learfield Sports
  • $650,000 projected amount from Aggie Athletic Club fundraising efforts

Although Moccia expects to balance the FY18 athletics budget, the football program is currently running a $422,570 deficit as football coaches are currently on the recruiting trail. 

NMSU made a football budget adjustment for FY19, increasing that program's operating budget from $1.1 million in 2018 to $1.7 million in FY19, mostly due to an additional $100,000 for recruiting out of the debt payment re-structure, and additional supplies.

"We don't give them enough money on the front end to do what they need to do to barely exist," Moccia said. "We have been very fortunate that we have had these big-ticket items come in just so that we can balance the budget."

11 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/05/new-mexico-high-school-football-participation/

Apparently the underlying recruiting base for high school football team are eroding in New Mexico more rapidly than other places.

You need bodies to play body bag games.

We have precious few players from NM on the roster, with good reason.  The state doesn't produce very many FBS players.  We get most of our recruits, like a lot of other schools, from Texas, Arizona, California.

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

We have precious few players from NM on the roster, with good reason.  The state doesn't produce very many FBS players.  We get most of our recruits, like a lot of other schools, from Texas, Arizona, California.

The New Mexico Men's Soccer program tapped into local talent to compete at a level about equal to that of the Aggies current men's basketball program while you have to go to other states.
It seems to me that as an institution you would want to be considered a top contender in the fields that you are in and compete where you are more likely to succeed

11 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The New Mexico Men's Soccer program tapped into local talent to compete at a level about equal to that of the Aggies current men's basketball program while you have to go to other states.
It seems to me that as an institution you would want to be considered a top contender in the fields that you are in and compete where you are more likely to succeed

Not if that sport doesn't help with revenue or generate any interest.  Not arguing, i have just never met a college sports fan that brags about their men's college soccer program, even UNM fans.  Heck, i don't even know how many MWC teams have soccer and what conferences they play in.  But i do follow MWC football and men's basketball.  El Paso is just down the road and their soccer team seems to be drawing well.  I haven't made it to a game yet.  Juarez is playing at the highest level in Mexico and drawing good crowds.  Professionally it isn't a bad idea if the city can support it.  Your statement was regarding dropping football and adding soccer.  Apples to oranges.  NMSU baseball has had a good run of late, including rivalry games, and they still draw around 1000 a game.  Nothing draws crowds like football, even at a basketball school like NMSU.

25 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Your football program doesn't fund itself let alone other parts of the athletic department, per the Las Cruces Sun News.

Why did you post a year old article?  Here is an article on the 2019 budget: 

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/nmsu/2019/08/17/new-mexico-state-athletics-budget-mario-moccia-dan-arvizu-college-athletics/2022783001/

Where did I state that FB funds itself?  And the fact that the body bags games are listed as line items in the article when breaking down the AD budget tells me that I am correct that the body bag games prop up the entire department.  Heck, the article states that "With the increase in football guarantee money in FY20, NM State's athletic department budget increased by $2 million to $20,756,229."  Our football coach also commented on the body bags games saying he wished that one of three directly went to the FB program as opposed to the total AD budget. 

3 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Not if that sport doesn't help with revenue or generate any interest.  Not arguing, i have just never met a college sports fan that brags about their men's college soccer program, even UNM fans.  Heck, i don't even know how many MWC teams have soccer and what conferences they play in.  But i do follow MWC football and men's basketball.  El Paso is just down the road and their soccer team seems to be drawing well.  I haven't made it to a game yet.  Juarez is playing at the highest level in Mexico and drawing good crowds.  Professionally it isn't a bad idea if the city can support it.  Your statement was regarding dropping football and adding soccer.  Apples to oranges.  NMSU baseball has had a good run of late, including rivalry games, and they still draw around 1000 a game.  Nothing draws crowds like football, even at a basketball school like NMSU.

I'm only intending this as a discussion so please don't mistake anything I"m saying as an argument or as disrespect.  I have a friend from undergrad who was a graduate student who now is a tenured professor at NMSU.

I think you underestimate the potential of your soccer team; UCLA's men's soccer isn't huge attendance but it's on campus (!) and we compete against SDSU (soccer only in the Pac 12).  A couple Final Four appearances in men's soccer would be a big deal and a crowds in the FCS football range could reliably happen - national championships might get you into FBS range.

9 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

Why did you post a year old article?  Here is an article on the 2019 budget: 

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/nmsu/2019/08/17/new-mexico-state-athletics-budget-mario-moccia-dan-arvizu-college-athletics/2022783001/

Where did I state that FB funds itself?  And the fact that the body bags games are listed as line items in the article when breaking down the AD budget tells me that I am correct that the body bag games prop up the entire department.  Heck, the article states that "With the increase in football guarantee money in FY20, NM State's athletic department budget increased by $2 million to $20,756,229."  Our football coach also commented on the body bags games saying he wished that one of three directly went to the FB program as opposed to the total AD budget. 

Interesting.  This article states the Athletic department owes the university $3 million and won't pay that off until 2026.  I guess that might be the time frame when a decision could be made given the size of the debt.

university leadership: "Because athletics received additional funding from the state this year, it was an opportunity to reduce the amount the university needed to transfer to the athletics budget. The university athletics team has done a great job and our hope is that with additional increases in revenue, including ticket sales, donations and other contributions, that unit will become less and less reliant on future budget transfers."

What's sad is UNM's men's soccer program averaged about 13K a game. Our USL team sells out most of the time. Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the state and has beem for some time.         Football is going from worse to worst. Since that concussion movie, parents are scared to let their kids play. Our youth leagues are shrinking and 3 HS dropped football this year. 2 of the small schools (1A) dropped to 8 man.

2 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

What's sad is UNM's men's soccer program averaged about 13K a game. Our USL team sells out most of the time. Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the state and has beem for some time.         Football is going from worse to worst. Since that concussion movie, parents are scared to let their kids play. Our youth leagues are shrinking and 3 HS dropped football this year. 2 of the small schools (1A) dropped to 8 man.

Major League Soccer expansion to ABQ?

9 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Interesting.  This article states the Athletic department owes the university $3 million and won't pay that off until 2026.  I guess that might be the time frame when a decision could be made given the size of the debt.

university leadership: "Because athletics received additional funding from the state this year, it was an opportunity to reduce the amount the university needed to transfer to the athletics budget. The university athletics team has done a great job and our hope is that with additional increases in revenue, including ticket sales, donations and other contributions, that unit will become less and less reliant on future budget transfers."

We received around $10M from main campus when we joined the WAC.  The athletic department was told to spend whatever it took to make a go at things in the WAC.  The NM legislator then ordered is to pay it back.  So we had been paying about $500,000-1M a year to pay it back.  We cut the deficit to about $5M and then our BOR allowed us an additional 10 additional years to pay it back essentially cutting our annual debt payments in half.  That freed up money to give coaches raises and some other things.

BTW, UNM was about $10 in debt to main campus as well since they were not meeting the annual AD budget and main campus was covering the shortfalls.  The NM legislature has also told them to pay it back.  Their debt mysteriously dropped from $10M to $4.7M and they have received at least 2 more main campus bail outs that have not been added to their debt.  AND, they have yet to make a debt payment.

10 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Can one of you guys post a link to the NMSU sports message board?

So what's the initial feeling on your qb and offense after Weber State and UCLA?  The numbers looked good on Saturday.  

Who cares about the past really?  A future without a NCAA division I men's soccer team in the entire state of New Mexico plus El Paso is a darker future than I care to live in.

A future that likely doesn't include bowl eligibility in the next couple decades doesn't seem particularly bright either

A future without Chip Kelly as UCLA's men's football coach ...