Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

NMSU vs SDSU

NMSU opens its home schedule against SDSU on September 14th.  SDSU fans, can you share your thoughts on your team this year.  I assume you will be battling for MWC title again per attached article.  What are your thoughts on offense and defense?  I think Long is a heck of a college coach.  Really looking forward to playing more MWC teams in the coming years.  Any information would be appreciated.  

On our end, we throw it a ton under Martin.  After the bowl win in 2017, we came back down to earth last season.  It took us 5 games before we switched from a JC transfer to a red shirt freshman qb and he looks like the real deal.  He had a couple monster games and a couple duds, as expected of a freshman.  If he grows and gets better as a sophomore, we might be looking at another good run in 2020 or 2021 with him as an upperclassman.  We also have 2 solid RBs.  Unfortunately, the 2019 schedule is brutal, especially first 5 games with trips to WSU and Alabama.  Still looking forward to fun FBS games and seeing new teams come to Aggie Memorial.  I expect a heavy dose of running from SDSU and a ton of different looks on defense to confuse our young qb.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/mountain-west-football-2019-predictions

Fresno State vs. San Diego State for No. 1 in the West Division

Uncertainty atop a division isn’t limited to the Mountain side of things in 2019. A good chunk of Athlon’s Mountain West prediction meeting was spent on deciding San Diego State or Fresno State for No. 1 in the West Division. The Bulldogs have claimed back-to-back division titles and ended up getting the edge in Athlon’s predictions.

The strength of Fresno State’s 2019 squad is once again on defense. The Bulldogs held teams to 14.1 points a game last fall and return six starters, including linebacker Mykal Walker, safety Juju Hughes and cornerback Jaron Bryant. However, linebacker Jeffrey Allison and safety Mike Bell declared early for the NFL Draft and left big shoes to fill this offseason. This unit should allow coach Jeff Tedford time to rebuild an offense that returns only two starters and has a new starting quarterback (Jorge Reyna). Until Reyna settles into the No. 1 role and the receiving corps is rebuilt, Tedford can lean on running back Ronnie Rivers (743 yards last season). Right tackle Syrus Tuitele is the only returning starter up front, but left tackle Netane Muti is back after missing most of 2018 due to injury.

San Diego State started 6-1 last season but slumped to a 1-5 finish over the team’s final six contests. Coach Rocky Long has hinted at a few tweaks to the offense are coming after this unit ranked last in the Mountain West in scoring (20.2 ppg). However, the Aztecs aren’t going to make drastic changes, as the strength of this group is still with the ground game and running back Juwan Washington. The development of the passing game behind quarterback Ryan Agnew and offensive line will be critical to the season. San Diego State’s defense will rank as one of the best in the Mountain West, but the line is a concern.

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

NMSU had one of the worst rush defenses in the country last year. SDSU is gunna run up dey @$$.

A big part of that was an offense that wouldn't generate first downs for first half of season.  Martin runs an offense reliant on the qb based on percentage of pass plays.  In the year we went bowling, we had a 4 year starter who could put up boat loads of yards of offense.  I expect a much better offense to start the season, but i agree that SDSU is going to run at will.  The question is how much time will our offense take off the clock and give the defense a break?  Had we had better qb play last year, we would have had at least a couple more Ws, even with a really bad defense.  I really like the kid we have though.  He has game and a strong arm.  I think the UNM game  in Albq the following week will tell us more about our season than the SDSU will.  

Just now, kingpotato said:

You're a mod? When did this happen?

When babysitting started to impact Mug outside the board and his daily responsibilities in the real world.  He started to have to post updates about his daily schedule in the OT section, letting posters know when he was not going to be around to moderate.  Outside of cleaning up one thread that got way to personal and moving/deleting some threads at posters requests I have not done much.  

But to the topic at hand, Tezino is the best LB'er in the conference and SDSU should have a really strong secondary, but they lose a lot on the DL.  They don't have a returning receiver with over 400 yards but have recruited well at the position the last few years. Last year was the first time since 2013 that SDSU was outscored by their opponents.  They are a wildcard, could see them challenging for the West or finishing 3rd-4th in the division..

2 minutes ago, alum93 said:

A big part of that was an offense that wouldn't generate first downs for first half of season.  Martin runs an offense reliant on the qb based on percentage of pass plays.  In the year we went bowling, we had a 4 year starter who could put up boat loads of yards of offense.  I expect a much better offense to start the season, but i agree that SDSU is going to run at will.  The question is how much time will our offense take off the clock and give the defense a break?  Had we had better qb play last year, we would have had at least a couple more Ws, even with a really bad defense.  I really like the kid we have though.  He has game and a strong arm.  I think the UNM game  in Albq the following week will tell us more about our season than the SDSU one.  

Seems you struggled more in the second half of the season, giving up 300+ on the ground 4 times.

image.png

7 minutes ago, alum93 said:

A big part of that was an offense that wouldn't generate first downs for first half of season.  Martin runs an offense reliant on the qb based on percentage of pass plays.  In the year we went bowling, we had a 4 year starter who could put up boat loads of yards of offense.  I expect a much better offense to start the season, but i agree that SDSU is going to run at will.  The question is how much time will our offense take off the clock and give the defense a break?  Had we had better qb play last year, we would have had at least a couple more Ws, even with a really bad defense.  I really like the kid we have though.  He has game and a strong arm.  I think the UNM game  in Albq the following week will tell us more about our season than the SDSU will.  

Raggies are gunna get boat-raced. Terrible match up for them. 

3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Raggies are gunna get boat-raced. Terrible match up for them. 

We are a basketball school no doubt.  FBS beats FCS any day though, so regardless of what happens i am good.  2020 sets up much better for success schedule wise.  2021 is looking good also.  Yes, SDSU and Fresno are both bad matchups.  Glad they are both at home at least.  Hopefully the UNM and UTEP games balance them out :-)

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

We are a basketball school no doubt.  FBS beats FCS any day though, so regardless of what happens i am good.  2020 sets up much better for success schedule wise.  2021 is looking good also.  Yes, SDSU and Fresno are both bad matchups.  Glad they are both at home at least.  Hopefully the UNM and UTEP games balance them out :-)

UNM will be terrible, so you might have a shot there. 

9 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

UNM will be terrible, so you might have a shot there. 

Considering we have won 2 of last 3 against both UNM and UTEP,  i like our chances.  We match up well with both athletically and have for awhile now.  UTEP just lost their starting rb for the season and will have a second year coach.  UNM brought in roughly 200 new players and new coordinators.  Both will be battles.

28 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

When babysitting started to impact Mug outside the board and his daily responsibilities in the real world.  He started to have to post updates about his daily schedule in the OT section, letting posters know when he was not going to be around to moderate.  Outside of cleaning up one thread that got way to personal and moving/deleting some threads at posters requests I have not done much.  

But to the topic at hand, Tezino is the best LB'er in the conference and SDSU should have a really strong secondary, but they lose a lot on the DL.  They don't have a returning receiver with over 400 yards but have recruited well at the position the last few years. Last year was the first time since 2013 that SDSU was outscored by their opponents.  They are a wildcard, could see them challenging for the West or finishing 3rd-4th in the division..

Oh hell. Don't think for one second I'm going to stop calling you by your name-- commie. @BSUTOP25 and you make up an exclusive group in this regard. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Seems you struggled more in the second half of the season, giving up 300+ on the ground 4 times.

image.png

Jesus H. Liberty U was UNM dog crap last year!

Seeing that, NMSU's best chance to beat the Aztecs will be if we beat UCLA the week before and half our team suffers sunstroke in what with a 1:00 KO should be a temperature of about 95 degrees. Because it will feel worse than that for the Aztecs in their black unis and given that we've never beaten the Bruins who to their credit are always adamant about never letting up against us, maybe half the team will get sunstroke and will be tired going back out of the road but they also figure to be looking to take it out on the Aggies.

When SDSU has the ball: It's a misconception by some that we will run a "spread offense" with "RPOs." Rather, we will be operating out of a spread formation and Ryan Agnew will be given far more latitude to option out of the called play based on how the opponent's defense is aligned. Also, although the Aztecs will incorporate some RPO stuff depending on the circumstances, the offense will still be basically power run so the key will again be how well the O-line plays. Given a more diversified offense the thinking is the line won't have to bend over and listen to opposing defenses literally call out the play they're about to run as happened the last half of 2018 but they still need to play better. Only two starters return but losing two of three from last year is addition by subtraction. One was a lazy ass malcontent and the other was a hot-headed lunatic who must have set the school record for personal fouls in a season. They've moved pre-season all-conference guard Keith Ismael to center ahead of PT starter Dom Gudino and Daishawn Dixon will play to his immediate left to get Agnew's back in passing situations. A big upgrade should be Oregon transfer Jacob Capra playing RT. Capra's current photo isn't even recognizable from when he was a HS senior as he's added 50 lbs. to get to 315+ and RG William Dunkle is supposedly up to 350. The little guy on the line will be Kyle Spaulding at just 300. Rocky loves road graders and that's what he's going to have this year again. I think Parker Houston will be the best TE in the conference and Juwan Washington is now fully healthy again at RB. However, I'm still not bullish on our WRs as this looks to be yet another year when they'll be overrated. The coach for that position, Hunky Cooper, has done a good job of recruiting players with good potential like but they never manage to pan out and I think the blame goes to the offense. Poblem is they are required to do so much blocking that gets them beat up and they can't run precise routes and blocking is tedious and can be a demotivator regarding pre-game emotional preparation. (JMO.)

SDSU on D: MLB Kyahva Tezino is a tackling machine and will be an NFL starter in time. Redshirt soph Caden McDonald wears Calvin Munson's old #54 and is a very similar player. Physical fitness nut who received offers from Army and AFA after playing multiple sports in HS in Texas. Eight of the 10 secondary guys return which is good and bad. One of the two who doesn't return is 3-year starter Ron Smith who never improved and decided not to return for his senior year. Very talented player and good tackler but even as a junior he still got beat deep on a regular basis. Great kid from a great family who will do well in life but his decision to leave early wasn't surprising. The rest have talent, particularly big hitters Tariq Thompson and Darren Hall, and I think they may benefit by no longer having to worry about cleaning up Smith's mistakes. As to the line, other than returning senior Myles Cheatum who has always been a sub, it's anybody's guess as to which of many moving parts will start. They're bringing in so many Polynesian transfers that the line could end up looking like BYU's.

Boom goes the dynamite.

21 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Jesus H. Liberty U was UNM dog crap last year!

Seeing that, NMSU's best chance to beat the Aztecs will be if we beat UCLA the week before and half our team suffers sunstroke in what with a 1:00 KO should be a temperature of about 95 degrees. Because it will feel worse than that for the Aztecs in their black unis and given that we've never beaten the Bruins who to their credit are always adamant about never letting up against us, maybe half the team will get sunstroke and will be tired going back out of the road but they also figure to be looking to take it out on the Aggies.

When SDSU has the ball: It's a misconception by some that we will run a "spread offense" with "RPOs." Rather, we will be operating out of a spread formation and Ryan Agnew will be given far more latitude to option out of the called play based on how the opponent's defense is aligned. Also, although the Aztecs will incorporate some RPO stuff depending on the circumstances, the offense will still be basically power run so the key will again be how well the O-line plays. Given a more diversified offense the thinking is the line won't have to bend over and listen to opposing defenses literally call out the play they're about to run as happened the last half of 2018 but they still need to play better. Only two starters return but losing two of three from last year is addition by subtraction. One was a lazy ass malcontent and the other was a hot-headed lunatic who must have set the school record for personal fouls in a season. They've moved pre-season all-conference guard Keith Ismael to center ahead of PT starter Dom Gudino and Daishawn Dixon will play to his immediate left to get Agnew's back in passing situations. A big upgrade should be Oregon transfer Jacob Capra playing RT. Capra's current photo isn't even recognizable from when he was a HS senior as he's added 50 lbs. to get to 315+ and RG William Dunkle is supposed up to 350. The little guy on the line will be Kyle Spaulding at just 300. Rocky loves road graders and that's what he's going to have this year again. I think Parker Houston will be the best TE in the conference and Juwan Washington is now fully healthy again at RB. However, I'm still not bullish on our WRs as this looks to be yet another year when they'll be overrated. The coach for that position, Hunky Cooper, has done a good job of recruiting players with good potential like David Justice's kid but they never manage to pan out and I think the blame goes to the offense. The main problem is they are required to do so much blocking that gets them beat up and they can't run precise routes. Two, blocking is tedious and can be a demotivator regarding pre-game emotional preparation. (JMO.)

SDSU on D: MLB Kyahva Tezino is a tackling machine and will be an NFL starter in time. Redshirt soph Caden McDonald wears Calvin Munson's old #54 and is a very similar player. Physical fitness nut who received offers from Army and AFA after playing multiple sports in HS in Texas. Eight of the 10 secondary guys return which is good and bad. One of the two who doesn't return is 3-year starter Ron Smith who never improved and decided not to return for his senior year. Very talented player and good tackler but even as a junior he still got beat deep on a regular basis. Great kid from a great family who will do well in life but his decision to leave early wasn't surprising. The rest have talent, particularly big hitters Tariq Thompson and Darren Hall, and I think they may benefit by no longer having to worry about cleaning up Smith's mistakes. As to the line, other than returning senior Myles Cheatum who has always been a sub, it's anybody's guess as to which of many moving parts will start. They're bringing in so many Polynesian transfers that the line could end up looking like BYU's.

You get UCLA the week before.  We get fricken Alabama.  Dollar bills...

Thanks for the feedback.  Good stuff.  As i mentioned above, our entire team is dependent on the qb because of the pass/run ratio.  When we can't convert third downs, we are toast.  That was the single biggest difference between 2017 and 2018, losing a 4 year starter under center.  The defense took a huge step backward last season also, but i think it has talent and plays off the offense being competitive.  Really interested to see what kind of numbers we can put up on offense against both SDSU and Fresno.  Not expecting to win either of those, but not expecting total blowouts either like an Alabama.   If we lose our qb or he is playing injured,  all bets are off.  If the offensive line holds up and gives him time, we could make it entertaining at least until the defense is gassed.

Bumping this thread because we get SDSU at home on Saturday.  We made it out of the WSU and Alabama games healthy and with money deposited in the bank.  Our secondary got shredded two weeks in a row, but i think it has more to do with the quality of opponent than scheme.  We were actually able to move the ball on offense both games.  I don't see this as a win, but it will be nice to see us go up against a team not named Alabama.  I saw the UCLA score and looked up the box score.  SDSU put up 373 yards,  293 through the air.  Looking forward to the first home game.  Here's to a fun game with no injuries.  This is the first of 3 straight MWC games for NMSU - SDSU, @ UNM, Fresno State.

@alum93 and @SleepingGiantFan.  This is slightly OT but.. 

It's incredible to me that SDSU and NMSU, despite sharing many of the same conference opponents, have never been in the same conference together.

16 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

@alum93 and @SleepingGiantFan.  This is slightly OT but.. 

It's incredible to me that SDSU and NMSU, despite sharing many of the same conference opponents, have never been in the same conference together.

Using that same reasoning, it's more incredible that we aren't in the same conference with USC. We both play Fresno, UCLA and BYU this year. 

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

Just now, Monty93 said:

Using that same reasoning, it's more incredible that we aren't in the same conference with USC. We both play Fresno, UCLA and BYU this year. 

That is neat.  Good to know 

What I was saying is it's odd to me that while 2/3 of the current MW (including Hawaii) was in the same conference with NMSU at one point or another over the last 35 years - and way back when shared the border conference with UNM - they have never been with SDSU.   

Now that there is not a Men's Soccer program at New Mexico, is there a chance that New Mexico State drop football and add soccer/futbol ?  I honestly think it would improve their prestige because it would instantly be the best collegiate team in the state and likely better than UTEP's club team.

The Lobo men's soccer team was generally at the top tier of national competition so there is no reason to think that a team in Las Cruces wouldn't be able to tap into the same talent in New Mexico and perhaps recruit El Paso/Juarez better.  If New Mexico State started a men's soccer team, they'd likely be seen as the top tier of that particular sport in their region rather than third tier to UTEP and New Mexico in football.