Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

415hawaiiboy

A weaker PAC-12, good or bad for the MWC

Go...East, Young Man? Is the Pac-12 Facing A Talent Crisis?

Is the 2020 recruiting cycle showing an unprecedented number of recruits leaving the West coast?

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2019/7/27/8930673/go-east-young-man-is-the-pac-12-facing-a-talent-crisis-uw-washington-football-huskies-recruiting

Whether or not the trend is part of a cycle or a long term trend, we will see.  Can USC, Oregon rebound? Ancidotal evidence is they are not getting Hawaii’s top players as consistently. 

I think they will try to poach more of our (MWC) players depending on the tier (Oregon St traditionally with Hawaii; Wazzu used to but they got better).  I see more Home and Home games with Hawaii.  

How is this affecting your team’s recruiting competition with PAC 12 schools?  Are you seeing more willingness to schedule with your team?  Do you think having the PAC 12 miss the playoffs consistently plays into helping us with recruiting?  As a conference, what is our strategy to gain market share in major West Coast markets?

If pac 12 schools are going hard for 3 star recruits in our geography that we normally would get, wouldn’t that hurt us talent wise against say the AAC?

2 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Go...East, Young Man? Is the Pac-12 Facing A Talent Crisis?

Is the 2020 recruiting cycle showing an unprecedented number of recruits leaving the West coast?

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2019/7/27/8930673/go-east-young-man-is-the-pac-12-facing-a-talent-crisis-uw-washington-football-huskies-recruiting

Whether or not the trend is part of a cycle or a long term trend, we will see.  Can USC, Oregon rebound? Antidotal evidence is they are not getting Hawaii’s top players as consistently. 

I think they will try to poach more of our (MWC) players depending on the tier (Oregon St traditionally with Hawaii; Wazzu used to but they got better).  I see more Home and Home games with Hawaii.  

How is this affecting your team’s recruiting completion with PAC 12 schools?  Are you seeing more willingness to schedule with your team?  Do you think having the PAC 12 miss the playoffs consistently plays into helping us with recruiting?  As a conference, what is our strategy to gain market share in major West Coast markets?

If pac 12 schools are going hard for 3 star recruits in our geography that we normally would get, wouldn’t that hurt us talent wise against say the AAC?

The better MWC schools in the last few years have been getting players with good P12 school offers. But P12 schools will usually have these players we get further down their lists while they would be at the top of ours. 

Did you check to see how many players are coming to the West from back east? I think the P12 will be fine. It wasn’t long ago that they were the second best P5.

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The better MWC schools in the last few years have been getting players with good P12 school offers. But P12 schools will usually have these players we get further down their lists while they would be at the top of ours. 

Did you check to see how many players are coming to the West from back east? I think the P12 will be fine. It wasn’t long ago that they were the second best P5.

I agree.  For example, USC might sign a Hawaii recruit and (there is some hate among the devoted Hawaii fans naturally) but it seems like a tier below what they were getting in years past.  

With that said, nothing occurs in a vacuum and the P12 might be trying to harvest Hawaii more because they are losing their “in their backyard” recruits.

I didn’t check to see how many East players coming West.  

There may be more to the story than just geography.

The difference between a “football” school (Boise, SEC schools) and a “balanced life” school (PAC 12 except maybe USC and Oregon, Hawaii definitely has balance).  These top athletes might be going all-in on football and looking for a NFL or Bust experience.

Of course guys like John Ursua (7th round Seahawks) and Jahlani Tavai (2nd round Detroit Lions) help with the argument if you are good “they will find you” even in a place like Hawaii.