Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JuwanHWolv

Replicating the AAC/BigEast Financial Model: Perhaps for MWC/PAC

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

This guy is @FormerFrog aka @Balzac again...

I may have been mistaken. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I've been wondering aloud if the PAC 10 School Presidents regret ever expending to include Utah and Colorado.  Utah is now spending more on recruiting than any other P12 school.  I'm a U of U graduate who lives in California and I can tell you thing is for sure, no one here looks at Utah as a "prestigious" University. And if they win the P12 this year, which is likely, I think we'll start to see those who questioned this move now affirming that it was a bad idea, that the P10 should have stayed that way.  Utah might still be in the MWC, or they may have joined the B12 by now, who knows?     

3 hours ago, ViAggie said:

I've been wondering aloud if the PAC 10 School Presidents regret ever expending to include Utah and Colorado.  Utah is now spending more on recruiting than any other P12 school.  I'm a U of U graduate who lives in California and I can tell you thing is for sure, no one here looks at Utah as a "prestigious" University. And if they win the P12 this year, which is likely, I think we'll start to see those who questioned this move now affirming that it was a bad idea, that the P10 should have stayed that way.  Utah might still be in the MWC, or they may have joined the B12 by now, who knows?     

maybe they also regret adding ASU and UA back in the 70's?  Are either of those AZ schools "prestigious"?

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

maybe they also regret adding ASU and UA back in the 70's?  Are either of those AZ schools "prestigious"?

U of A has replaced UCLA as the best basketball school in the conference and it has also brought academics considerably better than those of ASU. ASU has brought little in hoops and far less than was expected in football along with a very unimpressively large percentage of students who attend classes strictly online. Granted, almost all universities now have some classes which can be taken entirely online but other than perhaps Florida State, whose academics are not "prestigious" either, I'm unaware of any power conference school which has gone so balls to the wall on "distance" education. I will say that I think in both the case of ASU and FSU, their state legislatures long ago required them to take all qualified freshmen who graduated from a state high school and as a result of the subsequent huge population growth of their states and the massive increase in tuition for private universities, those schools just don't have any other way of accommodating all the incoming freshmen.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
6 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

Perception has little to do with academics....

In the minds of the PAC10, Utah is still a part of the backwater Mormon State that isn't to be taken seriously...  Also that Utah is very Republican.  That's the perception.

Oddly, they respect Colorado, though.  I think because of its very liberal reputation.

Arizona and ASU are respected more because people feel like they know Phoenix.   Arizona is a much bigger State than Utah with all the professional teams.

12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Perception has little to do with academics....

In the minds of the PAC10, Utah is still a part of the backwater Mormon State that isn't to be taken seriously...  Also that Utah is very Republican.  That's the perception.

Oddly, they respect Colorado, though.  I think because of its very liberal reputation.

Arizona and ASU are respected more because people feel like they know Phoenix.   Arizona is a much bigger State than Utah with all the professional teams.

I will miss these two schools from the Grand Canyon state.  Its crystal clear to me why they would trade their association with Cal/Stanford, USC/UCLA, UW/Oregon with the prestigious likes of liberal KSU/Iowa St, Texas Tech/Baylor.  

Guest #1Stunner
54 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I will miss these two schools from the Grand Canyon state.  Its crystal clear to me why they would trade their association with Cal/Stanford, USC/UCLA, UW/Oregon with the prestigious likes of liberal KSU/Iowa St, Texas Tech/Baylor.  

I for one don't really buy the narrative that the Arizona schools are considering a move to the Big12.

I guess Arizona could try and pull a "Texas A&M" and move to the Big12, and create some separation from ASU.... But I don't really see it happening.

If anything, I could see maybe USC and/or Stanford go Indy with a Notre Dame type deal with the PAC12, as a way to get more money...but even that is very unlikely.