Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

PAC12 title game moving to LV in '21.... will MWC follow suit?

57 minutes ago, Nickp1991 said:

Santa Clara seemed like an odd Choice to host the Pac 12 Championship, kind of like the Big XII hosting the Championship Game in St. Louis

Both are/were neutral site stadiums located in a state within the conference footprint...unlike Las Vegas, which would be the 1st CCG held outside a conference footprint.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Agree with TP. MWC championship games aren’t even a big draw for the home teams.

Stick them in an NFL stadium and they are going to look like ghost towns.

People would rather travel to the Bowl game, and there is a certain amount of fatigue that sets in that late in the season. Also you are into the holidays by that point and there is just a lot going on.

This is one of those points where G5 simply does not measure up to P5. Few schools (none tbh) have the massive, rabid, wealthy fan bases that many B1G, SEC schools have.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

It is impossible to market a Conference Championship game when you don't know where it will be until a week before the event.  It also puts a large burden on the host to quickly sell tickets in less than a week.  Having a neutral site would allow the conference to market, as well as sell tickets year-round.  

I think Phoenix would be perfect for the MWC title game.  It is as centrally located as it can get for most programs.  Chase Field looks better than most baseball stadiums in with a football field laid on it.  It can hold 35,000-40,000 fans for football, and the roof can be closed to provide protection from the elements if needed.  

I would say add Grand Canyon(not required in my proposal) to the MWC for Olympic Sports and have them be the conference host for the game(i.e. providing hospitality, and gathering volunteers for random MWC festivities in Phoenix throughout the year)  For that, they would get a 5,000 ticket allotment to sell/distribute throughout the year.  Each MWC football team will get 1,000 tickets to sell/give away throughout the year.   Add about 4,000 per division champion and the conference office would only be on the hook for selling 10,000-15,000 throughout the year.  Those numbers could even be lower depending on how the MWC would distribute tickets to its sponsors, volunteers, etc.

I think about half of the teams of the conference can handle getting 4,000 fans to the CCG.  The 4,000 ticket per division champ would be a maximum initial allotment and would be given to them the week after they clinch to ensure maximum sales.  Maximum initial allotment means most of those tickets must be sold prior to requesting more.  It would also mean that teams can request fewer tickets to match their expected travel parties.  

8 hours ago, dpc8302 said:

It is impossible to market a Conference Championship game when you don't know where it will be until a week before the event.  It also puts a large burden on the host to quickly sell tickets in less than a week.  Having a neutral site would allow the conference to market, as well as sell tickets year-round.  

I think Phoenix would be perfect for the MWC title game.  It is as centrally located as it can get for most programs.  Chase Field looks better than most baseball stadiums in with a football field laid on it.  It can hold 35,000-40,000 fans for football, and the roof can be closed to provide protection from the elements if needed.  

I would say add Grand Canyon(not required in my proposal) to the MWC for Olympic Sports and have them be the conference host for the game(i.e. providing hospitality, and gathering volunteers for random MWC festivities in Phoenix throughout the year)  For that, they would get a 5,000 ticket allotment to sell/distribute throughout the year.  Each MWC football team will get 1,000 tickets to sell/give away throughout the year.   Add about 4,000 per division champion and the conference office would only be on the hook for selling 10,000-15,000 throughout the year.  Those numbers could even be lower depending on how the MWC would distribute tickets to its sponsors, volunteers, etc.

I think about half of the teams of the conference can handle getting 4,000 fans to the CCG.  The 4,000 ticket per division champ would be a maximum initial allotment and would be given to them the week after they clinch to ensure maximum sales.  Maximum initial allotment means most of those tickets must be sold prior to requesting more.  It would also mean that teams can request fewer tickets to match their expected travel parties.  

There is really no difference.  In the end, the only 2 fan bases interested in traveling probably wont know they are in it until the week before.  In the end---the home team fans---who should be pretty excited about the game---will do a decent job of filling up the stadium.  

Don't really think the MWC needs to be in a major stadium for the title game - Just not going to draw the attendance 

And it's not like the PAC12 knocked it out when playing in the Niners stadium last season

Related image

Related image

6 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

There is really no difference.  In the end, the only 2 fan bases interested in traveling probably wont know they are in it until the week before.  In the end---the home team fans---who should be pretty excited about the game---will do a decent job of filling up the stadium.  

Yeah I mean I am a MWC fan but the only team I would actually travel for a conference champ game (or bowl game) would be Fresno. The only way I would even consider going to a non Fresno MWC champ game is if it was in Los Angeles as that is just a short commute for me and the only cost would be ticket (guessing dirt cheap) and parking (probably more than ticket lol). Even then it would take having one of the two teams being in line for the access bowl to get me to go. 

On 7/24/2019 at 8:53 PM, thedude15 said:

Yeah I mean I am a MWC fan but the only team I would actually travel for a conference champ game (or bowl game) would be Fresno. The only way I would even consider going to a non Fresno MWC champ game is if it was in Los Angeles as that is just a short commute for me and the only cost would be ticket (guessing dirt cheap) and parking (probably more than ticket lol). Even then it would take having one of the two teams being in line for the access bowl to get me to go. 

Having the MWCCG in a neutral site early on may work at the right venue and location. My recommendation is for this conference is to play at the old Stubhub Center (DHS Park) where the existing LA Chargers play. Many Charger fans that I know enjoy going to the smaller venue because of how close they are to players on the field and it holds 27,000 in Carson. Not too big and not too small. The highest attendance was the first CG at Bulldog stadium around 32,000 but after that it is been around the 25K for the game. Having it fill 27,000 would look great on TV and the experience of playing in SoCal will be worth it. The stadium is already up to NFL standards and the Galaxy and Chargers are the only other ones using the field. If Hair can negotiate this location with the right marketing and game time it could be something special for the MWC to shine. Not to mention it will be a nice experience for the teams to compete to get invited to play in this game almost like a pre-bowl game. 

This just shows how stupid the PAC12 leadership is.  It doesn't matter where the neutral site is, there isn't enough of a traveling fanbase in their conference to justify neutral sites.  The problem is not unique to them, only one conference is guaranteed to be packed for neutral site championships and that's the SEC.  Even the big10 game in Indy had tons of empty seats.  The PAC should have the championship game be @ the higher ranked teams field each season.  Same with MWC and any other conference not named SEC.  

MWC leadership would be dumb to even consider playing the CCG at a neutral site.  In the CFP era the top prize for a G5 conference is putting its champion in the Access Bowl.  Landing that berth is worth millions of dollars to the member schools.  Given that, the smart move is to put the conference’s highest-ranked division winner at the end of the regular season in the best possible position to win the championship game.  Having them play the CCG at home accomplishes that.

If the playoff ever expands to 8 and there’s an auto-bid for the top-ranked G5 team this logic will be even more compelling.