Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rebelcuff

It really might be dumb to invest in football

2 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Football isn’t going anywhere. You people are hilarious. Maybe high schools drop it. But then club teams will pop up everywhere like aau in hoops. As long as people want to watch and players can make millions it’s not going anywhere. 

Who is going to play? I'm telling you they will run out of athletes. If participation is way down in Florida, what is it like elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What will happen as fewer and fewer parents allow their children to play?

More playing time for the rest...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

O I see. The one and done rule is ending soon though, so the primary beneficiary would likely be the NBA/G league.

There will be a ton of athletes to choose from. The top ones will leave, but a lot will play college ball.

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

That'll end well :hmmm:

In about 100 years.  By then our robots overlords will have us all fighting in the Octogon for their pleasure.

The recent drop in participation at the hs level has been about 2%, and 7% of hs players play in the ncaa.  The ones dropping off will be more likely at the bottom rather than the top.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

In about 100 years.

The recent drop in participation at the hs level has been about 2%, and 7% of hs players play in the ncaa.  The ones dropping off will be more likely at the bottom rather than the top.

I think your numbers are way off.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

In about 100 years.

It's hard to say, if their parents aren't letting them play in the first place,

Worth noting that the US birth rate hit a 32 yr low.

So the problem isnt safety.

We just not gettin' busy...

33 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

There will be a ton of athletes to choose from. The top ones will leave, but a lot will play college ball.

Yes. And some will play baseball, box, do MMA, and play soccer. 

44 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It's hard to say, if their parents aren't letting them play in the first place,

Interesting.  I know two very athletic young women who are adamant their children won’t play football.   Both were D1 athletes and are married to D1 athletes.  

But let’s be honest, until the black community says no way football will be fine.  When the 5’ 7” to 6’ 1” black kids stop playing football for soccer things might change.  Why anyone would let their fast, quick 5’ 8” child play running back versus soccer is beyond me.

7 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Interesting.  I know two very athletic young women who are adamant their children won’t play football.   Both were D1 athletes and are married to D1 athletes.  

But let’s be honest, until the black community says no way football will be fine.  When the 5’ 7” to 6’ 1” black kids stop playing football for soccer things might change.  Why anyone would let their fast, quick 5’ 8” child play running back versus soccer is beyond me.

Although I like the game, I just threw the soccer pic in there to troll a little.

Other than parents, another factor that is being felt are tightening k-12 school budgets. When push comes to shove some football programs, especially in relatively poor districts, are being dropped.

11 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Although I like the game, I just threw the soccer pic in there to troll a little.

Other than parents, another factor that is being felt are tightening k-12 school budgets. When push comes to shove some football programs, especially in relatively poor districts, are being dropped.

Yea I think this is the big threat to football; it’s really effing expensive for high schools. 

1 minute ago, since1670 said:

As long as kids from poor backgrounds dream of $millions from a NFL team, football will be played.

Everyone acts like playing football is like being thrown in a Roman gladiator ring.  Overreaction is a funny thing.  Fact is many people do way more dangerous jobs for far less money than football players.  

Oh and it’s a choice. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

I know in Florida you need to purchase football insurance to play. Actually you have to purchase some kind of insurance to play any sport, but football is more. It doesn't matter if you have your own insurance.

No shit, that's crazy. I can see families getting priced out.

2 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

College Basketball would actually become viable again. Soccer would take off and the US would become a world power. I hope they figure it out in football, but the research has not been good. Eventually no insurance company will touch it in the high school ranks. 

Soccer player. Admit it