Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rebelcuff

It really might be dumb to invest in football

It really pains me to say this, but I think football will be extinct in 20 years. Talking to a friend of mine who is a football coach at a large Florida high school thinks it will end with the next generation. That's why I don't get this arms race going on to try to get to Power 5. The sport will not be around even though most of us love it.

Just now, rebelcuff said:

It really pains me to say this, but I think football will be extinct in 20 years. Talking to a friend of mine who is a football coach at a large Florida high school thinks it will end with the next generation. That's why I don't get this arms race going on to try to get to Power 5. The sport will not be around even though most of us love it.

I’ve come to the realization that it was just as fun to tailgate at Big Sky games as it is MWC games. The only difference is that kickoff times were much better back then. 1:05pm EVERY Saturday!

There are basically 15 teams capable of winning a title year in and year out and the rest are scheduling fodder. 

If a school can get In to a power 5 conference say in 5 years that still leaves 15 years of  $15+ million dollars a year.  Plus if football dies, it is still better to be in a power 5 conference for Olympic sports. Where the money and prestige will still be.

15 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Lol

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

59 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I’ve come to the realization that it was just as fun to tailgate at Big Sky games as it is MWC games. The only difference is that kickoff times were much better back then. 1:05pm EVERY Saturday!

There are basically 15 teams capable of winning a title year in and year out and the rest are scheduling fodder. 

Yeah, I loved the 1-AA years. Great games, great rivalries, amateur athletes who had maximized the pinnacle it their performance level. That original statement was made by a person from a fanbase that has never been fully invested in football. It will never die in many, many communities. 

On a side note, I would be very worried about UNLV athletics. They couldn't maximize their potential with no competition. Now they have the GK and soon the Raiders. They are so close to ambivalence in Las Vegas. 

1 hour ago, UofNPackFan said:

If a school can get In to a power 5 conference say in 5 years that still leaves 15 years of  $15+ million dollars a year.  Plus if football dies, it is still better to be in a power 5 conference for Olympic sports. Where the money and prestige will still be.

I can agree in a sense, but as far as UNLV goes I think they will eventually get in the pac 12 due to the other things they are doing like the medical school.

1 hour ago, rebelcuff said:

I think 20 years is a little soon but 40 sounds about right.

1 hour ago, UofNPackFan said:

Lol, what money? Basketball brings in a fraction of the money football does, and all other sports (with a few exceptions at a few schools) lose money.

9 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Lol, what money? Basketball brings in a fraction of the money football does, and all other sports (with a few exceptions at a few schools) lose money.

That would be because football is still around. You don't think sports channels will be around once football dies?  

College Basketball would actually become viable again. Soccer would take off and the US would become a world power. I hope they figure it out in football, but the research has not been good. Eventually no insurance company will touch it in the high school ranks. 

22 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I can agree in a sense, but as far as UNLV goes I think they will eventually get in the pac 12 due to the other things they are doing like the medical school.

Unlv better get in the PAC, we have coat tails to ride.  But seriously I think unlv will get invited to the PAC. Only a matter of time.  Once academics is on par then the school should really press hard to get an invite.  

1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

College Basketball would actually become viable again. Soccer would take off and the US would become a world power. I hope they figure it out in football, but the research has not been good. Eventually no insurance company will touch it in the high school ranks. 

I don't understand that statement.

"Eventually no insurance company will touch it in the high school ranks."

Are you talking about the school's insurance or the athletes parent's insurance?  Unless it was different when I played, the school never covered my medical expenses when I got injured in a game.  Does that have more to do with kids that didn't have insurance thus the school had to pony up?

8 minutes ago, UofNPackFan said:

That would be because football is still around. You don't think sports channels will be around once football dies?  

If football were to go away why do you think random college sports would absorb the fans? Why wouldn’t they just watch the highest level of competition at whatever sport fills the void of football?

6 minutes ago, UofNPackFan said:

I don't understand that statement.

"Eventually no insurance company will touch it in the high school ranks."

Are you talkin Ig about the school's insurance or the athletes parent's insurance?  Unless it was different when I played, the school never covered my medical expenses when I got injured in a game.  Does that have more to do with kids that didn't have insurance thus the school had to pony up?

I know in Florida you need to purchase football insurance to play. Actually you have to purchase some kind of insurance to play any sport, but football is more. It doesn't matter if you have your own insurance.

6 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

If football went away why would it’s fans gravitate to college basketball specifically? Why wouldn’t they just watch the NBA and March madness like most other basketball fans?  

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If football went away why would it’s fans gravitate to college basketball specifically? Why wouldn’t they just watch the NBA and March madness like most other basketball fans?  

I'm talking about having more of a athlete pool to pull from. These guys who played football will start playing other sports.

Football isn’t going anywhere. You people are hilarious. Maybe high schools drop it. But then club teams will pop up everywhere like aau in hoops. As long as people want to watch and players can make millions it’s not going anywhere. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Just now, boisewitha-s said:

Football isn’t going anywhere. You people are hilarious. Maybe high schools drop it. But then club teams will pop up everywhere like aau in hoops. As long as people want to watch and players can make millions it’s not going anywhere. 

What will happen as fewer and fewer parents allow their children to play?

6 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I'm talking about having more of a athlete pool to pull from. These guys who played football will start playing other sports.

O I see. The one and done rule is ending soon though, so the primary beneficiary would likely be the NBA/G league.