Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

How concerned are you that we are on the verge of another Financial Crisis?

9 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So, who do you think is more dangerous to the USA, Russia or China?

Certainly, they are both dangerous.  China certainly has much greater economic strength so is more dangerous in that respect and I think is more interested in competing with the US on the plane.  Russia, on the other hand, is more willing to cause harm in devious and underhanded ways.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, Orange said:

You're excusing segregationists by saying "we'd all be like that."  And you seem to be in tacit agreement with the people lamenting the loss of the WW2 generation, as if they were political saints.  

Wtf are you talking about? I simply said don’t pat yourself or the back too hard because you were lucky enough to be born after the civil rights era. It’s not like you did anything to become so enlightened. You were gifted the world you were born into in a way they were not.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Curious if anyone here is putting their money where their mouth is. Have any of you (especially those not retiring anytime soon) shifted your riskier stocks/mutual funds/ETFs into more conservative assets? Even a moderate recession could mean hundreds off the S&P right now. I'd be lying if I said I weren't tempted to get out of the riskier assets for a while and buy back in after the correction/recession happened. I am invested about 60% S&P 500 and 30% high yield dividend funds (plus 10% fun stocks/ETFs), but much of this is in my IRA, and as a rule, I don't mess with my retirement account. 

If so, what are you guys moving into?

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Curious if anyone here is putting their money where their mouth is. Have any of you (especially those not retiring anytime soon) shifted your riskier stocks/mutual funds/ETFs into more conservative assets? Even a moderate recession could mean hundreds off the S&P right now. I'd be lying if I said I weren't tempted to get out of the riskier assets for a while and buy back in after the correction/recession happened. I am invested about 60% S&P 500 and 30% high yield dividend funds (plus 10% fun stocks/ETFs), but much of this is in my IRA, and as a rule, I don't mess with my retirement account. 

I sold equities last year to pay off my house, even though the return on equities was much higher than the interest rate on my mortgage.  The country's fiscal disaster is not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.

I am concerned about my retirement accounts, just not in the way you are saying.  There is one pot of money sitting out there that politicians will be tempted to raid once the debt payments get untenable.  That pot is all of our retirement accounts.  I don't think I am full on wearing a tin foil hat when I think those bastards are capable of trying to "nationalize" retirement in the name of social justice.

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

I am about 70% in cash right now.  That doesn't count real estate.

I think we will get a 10% stock market drop in the next 3 months which will be a buying opportunity.

14 hours ago, alum93 said:

This is how Fox described the economy as each month got better and better under Obama.  Unemployment numbers were fake of course.  Second, and they did this as a group on the night shows,  China is going to own us because of our debt.  Over and over they made it sound like the deficit was going to lead to the collapse of our economy.  As soon as Trump was elected, they flipped a switch and love the real unemployment numbers, not to be confused with fake ones, and downplay the debt and deficit.  You could literally do a show of Hannity vs Hannity or Rush vs Rush with interviews side by side.  I have a family number who quotes Fox and absolutely is convinced, with Trump telling her, that CNN and MSNBC is fake.  Can you imagine how jaded your view of the US and the world would be if you lived in a small town and got all your news from Fox and similar outlets on the internet?  Sad really.  I've learned to be real careful with how i talk about Trump because she takes it literally and gets emotional.  She's also a wonderful person and helped me understand how one could watch his rallies and speeches and hear a completely different take on race or the investigation.  And the reason is because she filters the opinions completely based on what she is willing to watch, and more importantly not willing to entertain in terms of opposing opinions.  Do that night after night, week after week, year after year, and you start to see how the red hat diehards are able to be manipulated, especially with a man with the talent of Trump to take full advantage.  

I love when folks on the left think their #$%& doesn't stink.  Hannity is a partisan...no question.  As is most of the night time line up at Fox.  Surely you must realize that MSNBC is the left's version of Fox?  MSNBC's night time line up is just as partisan.  The only difference between you and your family member is the network and message you like.

7 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

I love when folks on the left think their #$%& doesn't stink.  Hannity is a partisan...no question.  As is most of the night time line up at Fox.  Surely you must realize that MSNBC is the left's version of Fox?  MSNBC's night time line up is just as partisan.  The only difference between you and your family member is the network and message you like.

Clearly you missed the message, but nice try.  A for effort.  

14 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Wtf are you talking about? I simply said don’t pat yourself or the back too hard because you were lucky enough to be born after the civil rights era. It’s not like you did anything to become so enlightened. You were gifted the world you were born into in a way they were not.

You're right, my education was post-civil rights.

Just as future citizens will shame people like you for supporting Voter ID, or repeal of most of the Voting Rights Act, or shootings of unarmed blacks by police, or the derision of Colin Kapeernick, etc.  You pretend like the CRA fixed everything.

9 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

A comparison between MSNBC and Fox is objectively fallacious simply because polling has shown that those who watch Fox are, by far, the least informed viewers out there. It's not necessary causal, but it is definitely a correlation.  Equalizing MSNBC and Fox is, quit literally, not a scientifically sound postulation.  People who watched MSNBC weren't among THE most informed, but then again, a small fraction of people (read: liberals) watch MSNBC than watch Fox.

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

4fbbf449eab8ea4c79000007-480-268.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/07/21/a-rigorous-scientific-look-into-the-fox-news-effect/#66da301a12ab

Stereotypes aside, it's not that Fox News viewers live in a bubble and get all their news from that one source. The average Fox viewer listed 4.5 other source of news they regularly followed. Many also got news from the major broadcast networks, Facebook, and the liberal news channel MSNBC. Nevertheless, those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions. Fox viewers were less likely to know the capital of Canada, the religion of the Dalai Lama, or the size of the Federal budget. They couldn't find South Carolina on map or name the second digit of pi.

The Times is urban and urbane; Fox is small-town/suburban and populist. Fox competes directly against hundreds of other cable channels and has established a specialized niche in its media ecology. Fox trades in stories about the venality of big government, liberal overreach and little-guy heroes of the heartland. A large share of Fox stories deftly push emotional buttons (lest the viewer push the buttons on his or her remote…)

This format has been successful, but it has drawbacks. There's a lot that goes on in the world that doesn't easily fit the Fox template. There are important stories that don't make anyone angry, prove liberals are evil or otherwise carry an emotional punch. Fox viewers get less of them. Fox News is like an all-you-can-eat buffet, serving up red meat. A more balanced diet might be healthier in the long run.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

You're right, my education was post-civil rights.

Just as future citizens will shame people like you for supporting Voter ID, or repeal of most of the Voting Rights Act, or shootings of unarmed blacks by police, or the derision of Colin Kapeernick, etc.  You pretend like the CRA fixed everything.

You continue to look like an idiot straw-manning me. But carry on.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

Feel free to correct anything I said that was untrue.

Why bother? I’ve been here for years and tussled with pretty much everyone at one time or another. Everyone can see you look like a dolt painting me as some weak representation of a typical righty. 

18 hours ago, pokebball said:

Certainly, they are both dangerous.  China certainly has much greater economic strength so is more dangerous in that respect and I think is more interested in competing with the US on the plane.  Russia, on the other hand, is more willing to cause harm in devious and underhanded ways.

China has more capacity to be dangerous but their geopolitical goals align with ours more than Russia. "Get rich" and "global stability" can overcome a lot of SE Asia conflict. OTOH chaos and the developed world getting poorer fits Russia just fine. Also, Russia opposes stuff we want to do just to frustrate us. China opposes stuff we do when it is in their interest to do so.

Hopefully I'm not totally talking out of my ass

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

20 hours ago, I am Ram said:

It depends on your time horizon. I've been holding 30 percent cash for the last 3 years waiting for a significant pullback and have regretted it ever since. I've essentially been putting everything into index funds including target date funds because going back and evaluating my portfolio, I've made just as much with total stock market index funds as with my high flying FAANG stocks. I wish I had bought more FB stock when it was below 140 last November though. There is no better "hands off "wealth production than the stock market over time.

17 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

I am concerned about my retirement accounts, just not in the way you are saying.  There is one pot of money sitting out there that politicians will be tempted to raid once the debt payments get untenable.  That pot is all of our retirement accounts.  I don't think I am full on wearing a tin foil hat when I think those bastards are capable of trying to "nationalize" retirement in the name of social justice.

I've never heard of this tinfoil hat conspiracy.  But there is $28 trillion in private retirement accounts in the US.  That could wipe out the entire debt while also paying for free college and medicare for everyone.

Good luck living on Social Security, old folks.