Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any recent news on MWC TV contract available?

17 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That's not even true.  Even if our revenue was MW money it would still be higher than the UConn buyout.  

Really, UCONN isn’t the only team to leave.  THe AAC/Old Big East has collected 100’s of millions in exit fees.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

On 7/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, 1IvyDog said:

Really, UCONN isn’t the only team to leave.  THe AAC/Old Big East has collected 100’s of millions in exit fees.

The only to collect those fees were UConn, Cincy, and usf and the conference just signed a billion dollar tv deal so I don't think you are on the right track.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:34 PM, Wyobraska said:

What I didn't like though is that it sounds like the MW is still in exclusive negotiations with CBS Sports for Tier 1 and ESPN for Tier 2.  I thought by this point it would be a wide open market but they have extended the exclusive negotiating windows.  I really hope CBS Sports doesn't retain tier 1.

This is evidence that someone, perhaps Craig Thompson, understands that in order to get a higher price you need multiple bidders who all seriously believe they can win the auction.  

If the Mountain West wants to get at least three bidders the conference needs to keep both existing rights holders interested in bidding and attract either Comcast, Fox or Sinclair to make serious bids as well.  If each bidder raises the others only once that should be a significant increase in the value of the rights but if there are multiple rounds of raises then the price goes up much more.

Part of the strategy of making all potential buyers bid against each other is dragging out the process so that each bidder is anxious to bid by the time the auction occurs.  An auction for the MW rights during the 2019 season also is more likely to attract more bidders because everyone's attention turns to football at the same time. 

On 7/27/2019 at 9:13 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I hate to say it, but with the numbers floating around out there I hope your leadership focuses less on the numbers and more on the best exposure opportunities.  The money seems to have dried up but you can still negotiate for some inventory with ESPN.  In the other thread it was posed the PAC12 may try to do early games, maybe the MWC can beat them to the punch and own the noon-1pm game slot.  Just a thought..

I have been in both the Pac-12 and Big 12 rooting for my Buffaloes.  The differences between both conferences are night and day when it comes to the attitudes towards football.  You cannot just simply apply what works in your typical P5 conference and expect it to work in the Pac-12.  The Pac-12 isn't much different from the ACC, C-USA, or C-USA 2.0 (AAC) when it comes to schools being located in urban areas of major cities compared to the Big 12, Big Ten, and SEC where there is more of an even mix between urban schools and rural schools (where football is usually better).

Larry Scott was approached by ESPN about putting the P12N on ESPN+ in exchange for a longer term deal with ESPN and Scott declined because retaining full ownership of all your rights is the best way to go.  If the conference decides to go to an all streaming model with a monthly subscription and does very well, the other P5 conferences especially the Big Ten, ACC, and SEC could have a big problem on their hands especially the Big Ten who owns just 51% of the BTN while Fox has 49%.  If the BTN is valued at billions of dollars and for sure it is, the individual schools not the Big Ten will have to pony up the cash to buy out Fox's share of the BTN.  That means each Big Ten school might have to pony up $100M to buy out Fox's share of the BTN and state legislatures will get involved and muddy the process.  Same thing for the SEC which the SECN might be even more highly valued and the ACC is launching their network soon.  The Big 12 appears to have been smart to not get into this conference network thing and let member schools retain their third tier rights such as the Big 12 schools that will start their ESPN+ deals this fall (OSU, Baylor, KU, and KSU) followed by another four schools (TT, TCU, ISU, and WVU) next year.

Also blaming Pac-12 leadership isn't the correct thing to do...the conference presidents/chancellors who hires the commissioner and approves the pay raises along with the regent/governors boards are also shortsighted when it comes to football.  Firing Larry Scott isn't going to fix the problem overnight.  The Big 12 presidents/chancellors and their governing boards do get it when it comes to football and basketball.  Big, big, big difference between those two conferences.

The problems that plague the Pac-12 also applies to the MWC and that is where MWC and P12 fans can find common ground.  Things are certainly different east of the Rockies when it comes to college football and it's maddening that the school administrations won't do anything to address the problem.  The die-hard fans are there but with administrations being lukewarm when it comes to athletics, it's more difficult to support those teams and the casual fan notices and decides not to become a hardcore fan.  If CU was in the Pac-12 when I moved to Colorado back in 1988, I wouldn't have became a CU fan and probably remained an Oklahoma fan primarily.

How do you fix that problem?  Start with the governing board members such as regents or governors.  Those people are voted to those positions who in turn decides who runs the school and probably decides how far athletics is going to go.  Much easier said than done.  You should appreciate being an UCF fan because people in Florida are far more likely to place more importance on athletics than academics...cue the 2000 election recount in Florida.

Every time the money is assumed to have dried up when it comes to potential future media rights deals, the opposite usually happens.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, UofMTigers said:

I can't believe Arkansas is paying us 1 million for a 2-for-1 deal

A million bucks is a big deal to a bottom feeder school but for us big boys it's literally nothing.

$1, 000, 000 wouldn't pay for one night's worth of hookers and booze at SEC Media Days.

We make 30 million dollars a year before we sell the first season ticket, or accept the first donation. 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

21 minutes ago, woo pig sooie said:

A million bucks is a big deal to a bottom feeder school but for us big boys it's literally nothing.

$1, 000, 000 wouldn't pay for one night's worth of hookers and booze at SEC Media Days.

Is it true as rumor has it that local law requires you good 'ol boys to yell "woo pig sooie" when y'all are bangin' them porkers?

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, woo pig sooie said:

We make 30 million dollars a year before we sell the first season ticket, or accept the first donation. 

Feel bad that your wife/sister still charges you for sex and moonshine...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, woo pig sooie said:

This is one of the weakest sock accounts we have seen in awhile.  Low effort.