Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FresnoFacts

SJSU Event Center Naming Rights Deal

The CSU Trustees this week will vote on approving a naming rights deal for SJSU's Event Center.

The new name will be "The Provident Credit Union Event Center at San José State University".

The deal is for $300,000 annually (with an annual inflation adjustment) for 20 years. Provident CU gets a few extra items besides the name for that amount such as placing 2 ATMs on campus, some promotional opportunities (to alumni, faculty, staff), etc.

One caveat to the deal. It can be cancelled after 10 years OR if SJSU leaves the Mountain West.

The document linked below states the money will be used for improvements/renovations to the Event Center.

Agenda item #3 at   https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/past-meetings/2019/Documents/july-23-24-ia.pdf

I was hoping a tech company would sponsor the EC. This is good too. Establish a community connection with an established FCU from the area. 

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

now they just need a wealthy donor to step up and match the donation for the court name...

They’ve actually done a decent job raising money for their football complex. They’ve raised several million dollars for it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They’ve actually done a decent job raising money for their football complex. They’ve raised several million dollars for it. 

I saw they started construction...I was talking about naming the basketball court. Memphis got lucky since a former player married a Walmart Walton and could write a 10 million dollar check. SJSU needs a wealthy hoops benefactor. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

I saw they started construction...I was talking about naming the basketball court. Memphis got lucky since a former player married a Walmart Walton and could write a 10 million dollar check. SJSU needs a wealthy hoops benefactor. 

I’m waiting for Tesla to buy the naming rights to our football stadium.  Tesla GigaStadium has a nice ring to it.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I’m waiting for Tesla to buy the naming rights to our football stadium.  Tesla GigaStadium has a nice ring to it.

I recently found out Togo's is originally from SJ. So I was hoping that Togo's would sponsor the EC. "Togo's Events Center". My favorite sammich shop. They serve a delicious Italian cut, #16 The  Italian. 

13 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

stupid question but why is it that fresno state has never had a naming rights deal for bulldog stadium? 

Brand Theory:  No Mkt'g Mngr in her right mind wants to tie their brand to Fresno.

13 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I recently found out Togo's is originally from SJ. So I was hoping that Togo's would sponsor the EC. "Togo's Events Center". My favorite sammich shop. They serve a delicious Italian cut, #16 The  Italian. 

Turkey w/Provolone.  The first Togo's I ever saw/ate at was w/in a mile of CSU-San Diego.

12 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

My picture is on the wall of the Togo's in Turlock from when I was on the swim team in HS. 

It's probably my favorite sandwich chain too. A cut above the rest. 

20 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

stupid question but why is it that fresno state has never had a naming rights deal for bulldog stadium? 

You would think one of the big Ag companies would have jumped on the opportunity to sponsor bulldog stadium. I just looked up companies based in Fresno, I instantly recognized David Sunflower Seeds (I have a bad in my pantry),  Sun-Maid Raisins and Harris Ranch Beef Co. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresno_County,_California#Economy

6 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

You would think one of the big Ag companies would have jumped on the opportunity to sponsor bulldog stadium. I just looked up companies based in Fresno, I instantly recognized David Sunflower Seeds (I have a bad in my pantry),  Sun-Maid Raisins and Harris Ranch Beef Co. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresno_County,_California#Economy

Foster Farms is based in the central valley also.

I know it has been slower than people would like but things are happening. The football improvements wouldn’t be possible w/o the naming rights deal for spartan stadium. Basketball should start to pick up soon too.

46 minutes ago, SangerBulldog said:

I've wondered also why the stadium has not received a naming offer. Or maybe there has been a offer but the campus wanted a higher amount.

The arena naming deal at Fresno State was the largest college naming deal at the time.

Pepsi purchased the naming rights for $40 million over 20 years which included the exclusive campus soft drink pouring rights. Pepsi then turned around and in a second deal let Save Mart put its name on the arena. But $2 million per year is a significant amount.

The arena also had a separate $3 million deal that resulted in naming the Larry Shehadey Clock Tower.

31 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Brand Theory:  No Mkt'g Mngr in her right mind wants to tie their brand to Fresno.

You should save your concern for half/less than half filled CSU stadium with another sub .500 season on its way. 

That stadium debt thunder cloud is looming more and more every year. 

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

You should save your concern for half/less than half filled CSU stadium with another sub .500 season on its way. 

That stadium debt thunder cloud is looming more and more every year. 

I'll be concerned if/when it happens.  We're a loooong way from a-half-filled Sonny Lubick Field.

I mean Canvas Stadium, which has the second most lucrative naming rights deal in the nation.  ¿How much is CSU-Fresno getting for their stadium naming deal?

6 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

That’s. Funny since the Save Mart deal  is one largest n the country.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

5 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

I'll be concerned if/when it happens.  We're a loooong way from a-half-filled Sonny Lubick Field.

I mean Canvas Stadium, which has the second most lucrative naming rights deal in the nation.  ¿How much is CSU-Fresno getting for their stadium naming deal?

A looooong way??  I saw it more than once just last year. 

But who could blame them when they waltz a 2-6 MWC 3-9 Overall product on the field. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!