Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Economic Trends Last 10 years

Shocking Trump hasn't managed to crash the stellar economy Obama created after the last Republican failure.  I doubt he will ever get GDP growth as high as Obama had it in 2009, 2012, 2015.  Sad he won't measure up.:mellow:

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

Shocking Trump hasn't managed to crash the stellar economy Obama created after the last Republican failure.  I doubt he will ever get GDP growth as high as Obama had it in 2009, 2012, 2015.  Sad he won't measure up.:mellow:

Except for the fact he already has in 2018 you ignorant whelp.  And I use “he” loosely as everyone knows the president gets an undue share of blame/credit for economic performance anyway.

GDP Growth by Year:

2018:  2.9%

2015:  2.9%

2012:  2.2%

2009:  -2.5% (hilarious you’d even throw this year in there)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188165/annual-gdp-growth-of-the-united-states-since-1990/

v0icAvfW.jpg

10 minutes ago, alum93 said:

This isn't going to end well.  

I think Greece was at around 125% or so when their troubles first started and it quickly shot up to 180% (all off the top of my head).  It’s the most obvious and predictable threat facing our country but no one has the political will to address it.  Special thanks to Bush/Obama/Trump for solidifying us on this path.

It’s why I always say to enjoy arguing over all these silly government programs and nice entitlement benefits.  They’re on borrowed time (at least at current levels).  It’s also why I’m staunchly against additional handouts. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

7 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I think Greece was at around 125% or so when their troubles first started and it quickly shot up to 180% (all off the top of my head).  It’s the most obvious and predictable threat facing our country but no one has the political will to address it.  Special thanks to Bush/Obama/Trump for solidifying us on this path.

It’s why I always say to enjoy arguing over all these silly government programs and nice entitlement benefits.  They’re on borrowed time (at least at current levels).  It’s also why I’m staunchly against additional handouts. 

Agree completely on the deficit.  If you look at a pie chart, it's pretty easy to see where money goes for discretionary spend.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-federal-budget-breakdown-3305789

On March 11, 2019, President Donald Trump released his budget request for fiscal year 2020. Under his proposal, the federal budget would be a record $4.746 trillion. The U.S. government estimates it will receive $3.645 trillion in revenue. That creates a $1.101 trillion deficit for October 1, 2019, through September 30, 2020. 

To fund the government, Congress must pass appropriations bills before the fiscal year begins on October 1, 2019. If Congress does not do so, it creates continuing resolutions to keep government departments operational. If it doesn't, the government will shut down.

Government spending is in three categories: Mandatory, which is at $2.841 trillion; Discretionary at $1.426 trillion; and interest on the national debt, $479 billion. This article provides a detailed breakdown of each. You can also find links to past budgets at the end. 

Here's another nice visual.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

discretionary_spending_pie%2C_2015_enacted.png

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Agree completely on the deficit.  If you look at a pie chart, it's pretty easy to see where money goes for discretionary spend.

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-federal-budget-breakdown-3305789

On March 11, 2019, President Donald Trump released his budget request for fiscal year 2020. Under his proposal, the federal budget would be a record $4.746 trillion. The U.S. government estimates it will receive $3.645 trillion in revenue. That creates a $1.101 trillion deficit for October 1, 2019, through September 30, 2020. 

To fund the government, Congress must pass appropriations bills before the fiscal year begins on October 1, 2019. If Congress does not do so, it creates continuing resolutions to keep government departments operational. If it doesn't, the government will shut down.

Government spending is in three categories: Mandatory, which is at $2.841 trillion; Discretionary at $1.426 trillion; and interest on the national debt, $479 billion. This article provides a detailed breakdown of each. You can also find links to past budgets at the end. 

Here's another nice visual.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

discretionary_spending_pie%2C_2015_enacted.png

I guess if you only want to look at ~30% of the budget to draw your conclusion then you might have a point.  Fact is, much more money is spent on Entitlements and Healthcare than defense.  This pie chart is a better and more comprehensive view of government spending that includes both discretionary and non-discretionary spending.  You can’t address $1T deficits and $22T of national debt without significant across the board cuts.

composition_1.png

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Except for the fact he already has in 2018 you ignorant whelp.  And I use “he” loosely as everyone knows the president gets an undue share of blame/credit for economic performance anyway.

GDP Growth by Year:

2018:  2.9%

2015:  2.9%

2012:  2.2%

2009:  -2.5% (hilarious you’d even throw this year in there)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188165/annual-gdp-growth-of-the-united-states-since-1990/

Are you calling @toonkee a liar?  I am just going by his graph.  Your graphs show "real gdp" and Trump was only able to equal Obama with giant budget busting deficits.

Posted Image

2 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Are you calling @toonkee a liar?  I am just going by his graph.  Your graphs show "real gdp" and Trump was only able to equal Obama with giant budget busting deficits.

Whoa whoa whoa, I just presented some graphs without commentary. In fact, I welcome more long term trend info and graphs.

12 minutes ago, Akkula said:

My post speaks for itself.  I’m calling you an ignorant whelp for another predictably inaccurate statement.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

29 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

My post speaks for itself.  I’m calling you an ignorant whelp for another predictably inaccurate statement.  

Well, I will meet you halfway.  I agree that using real gdp is a better measure than what was posted above (probably nominal GDP growth %) so let's use your numbers.  But if both Trump and Obama got to 2.9% GDP as their peak amount but Obama only increased the deficit by $327 Billion in 2015 and Trump increased it by $1.217 TRILLION in 2018 then I would say Obama won at being a better steward of the economy.  (Not that presidents have the highest impact anyway...but just for the sake of argument).  Presidents do have control of deficits on legislation they sign into law.  I will also say this is apples-to-apples since both 2018 and 2015 were not in the middle of an economic freefall or early in a recovery.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296

Posted Image

Just now, Akkula said:

Well, I will meet you halfway.  I agree that using real gdp is a better measure than what was posted above (probably nominal GDP growth %).  But if both Trump and Obama got to 2.9% GDP as their peak amount but Obama only increased the deficit by $327 Billion in 2015 and Trump increased it by $1.217 TRILLION in 2018 then I would say Obama won at being a better steward of the economy.  (Not that presidents have the highest impact anyway...but just for the sake of argument).  Presidents do have control of deficits on legislation they sign into law.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296

Why do you think Obama was personally responsible for that?  I honestly don’t care to debate this nonsense.  You’re just splitting hairs at this point.

v0icAvfW.jpg

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the President gets far too much credit/flack for the performance of the economy.  And for the deficit.  Really the only major things the president can do to hurt either is to start a war(s) (thanks Bush) or to impose crippling tariffs.  Otherwise congress should get the credit/blame. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

But Trump "good", Obama "bad"? :shrug:

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

We're not even doing anything with it. It's not like we're building a space program that will launch us in to a new technological era, or building dams and roads and airports to service the 150 million more people we have than when our current system was envisioned, or even investing heavily in geothermal, solar, wind, power transmission where those are merited. We're just... splurging.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

30 minutes ago, happycamper said:

We're not even doing anything with it. It's not like we're building a space program that will launch us in to a new technological era, or building dams and roads and airports to service the 150 million more people we have than when our current system was envisioned, or even investing heavily in geothermal, solar, wind, power transmission where those are merited. We're just... splurging.

23f2f0ef6a1e8788e6d9a116b2c9768d.jpg

That's basically what we've become, spending-wise, over the last 40 years or so.