Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

AT&T selling their RSN?

56 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

This could drive up the bids for the next MW media rights deal.  The more competitors the better.

Not sure a change of hands means more competitors - AT&T is dumping the channels & someone else might buy them, if not they get shuttered 

Not like someone is starting up a new sports channel / network to add competition 

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure a change of hands means more competitors - AT&T is dumping the channels & someone else might buy them, if not they get shuttered 

Not like someone is starting up a new sports channel / network to add competition 

I think so also.  If they do get bought, it will be for the pro sports and they may not even bother with MW games.   My guess is that this is more instability during our TV renewal as we were also set to talk with ATT RSN for a package.  Now we may not bother.   What this could lead to is more 3rd tier content for Stadium. 

I was looking at Stadium's football schedule for CUSA games, they will have 7 OTA games broadcasted with starting CST times at 3, 1:30 and 5pm.  Looking to next year, the MW game would follow with CST start times at 6 or 4pm with a few earlier or a little later.  They would be able to offer very good start times for the MW games on Saturday for OTA broadcasts.  Also, for those weekends in which Stadium doesn't have any CUSA games, the MW game could start at 3pm CST.

28 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Add the AT&T-CBS dispute to the mix. As of now, there are no CBS channels available on DirecTV, including CBS Sports...

Which will be settled long before anybody misses anything of note.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

17 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/sinclair-comcast-att-regional-sports-networks.html

A tweak for the MW TV negotiations is AT&T is needing to sell their regional sports networks for some cash to cut some debt.

Comcast and Sinclair are expected bidders.

If Sinclair is the buyer it fills in the MWC footprint hole from the Fox RSN deal. That combines with the OTA stations Sinclair already has in the footprint.

Sinclair is getting interesting. They announced a new ATSC chip for mobile devices to receive the new OTA standard's broadcasts.

At their annual meeting in May, they told shareholders they see a big opportunity in sports. That includes a belief by Sinclair that potentially they could be involved with  legalized sports betting in the future. Sinclair envisions, if ever approved, being able to stream/broadcast a game while viewers simultaneously place bets on-screen.

7 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

I think so also.  If they do get bought, it will be for the pro sports and they may not even bother with MW games.   My guess is that this is more instability during our TV renewal as we were also set to talk with ATT RSN for a package.  Now we may not bother.   What this could lead to is more 3rd tier content for Stadium. 

I was looking at Stadium's football schedule for CUSA games, they will have 7 OTA games broadcasted with starting CST times at 3, 1:30 and 5pm.  Looking to next year, the MW game would follow with CST start times at 6 or 4pm with a few earlier or a little later.  They would be able to offer very good start times for the MW games on Saturday for OTA broadcasts.  Also, for those weekends in which Stadium doesn't have any CUSA games, the MW game could start at 3pm CST.

The AT&T Rocky Mtn is broken into 3 different feeds......one Colorado centric, one Utah centric & one Nevada centric.........Main teams are the Rockies, Jazz & Golden Knights.........here in LV & most of NV we get the AT&T Rocky Mtn. Western Feed 2, which splits off the Utah feed.......so we get VGK games while Utah gets Jazz games with no cross over - For VGK road games the studio pre-game show is fed in from their Denver Studios & the guys have to fly out to Vegas to do the pre-game show for home games 

So the AT&T we get in NV is basically worthless when there's no VGK or college games..........last summer the NV AT&T feed picked up WBNA Aces home games, but those moved to a local Cox feed so AT&T lost the one live summer sport they had.

Honestly don't see how the NV AT&T feed makes any money when there's no VGK or college games, I literally ignore the channel until the VGK / College FB starts up.

I really wish someone would step up & create a LV or LV & NV centric sports channel that would be the home of the VGK, Raiders side shows, UNLV, UNR, AAA LV Aviators & Reno Aces, WNBA Aces, USL LV lights & Reno 1886 FC,even Community College & some High School sports - that's a full years worth of sports scheduling potential 

So if any other company is looking to buy these AT&T regionals, I don't see why they would as there's such a small window of programming to make it any kind of profitable.

Las Vegas has a local Sinclair station https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVCW  http://cwlasvegas.com/  http://mylvtv.com/  That has entered the local sports broadcasting arena 

AT&T RMW had WNBA Aces games last season, this year they moved to the local channel for home games only - Former The mtn female broadcaster Ann-Marie Anderson does the PBP on the home games. and they carry the occasional AAA LV Aviators baseball games.....USL LV Lights home & some road games......and a Thursday night HS game of the week.

Wonder if Sinclair would just blow this station up as a regional sports channel & end run AT&T RMW - Don't see why you'd buy a station when you could build one unless you need some production elements 

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Will it? DirecTV kept the SLC NBC affiliate off the air all through football season...

Yes. The NBC affiliate in SLC wasnt network owned.  Its owned by Bonneville and its their only tv station.  This current battle is with CBS itself and involves the o and o stations in about 17 large markets.  It'll get settled.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

The AT&T Rocky Mtn is broken into 3 different feeds......one Colorado centric, one Utah centric & one Nevada centric.........Main teams are the Rockies, Jazz & Golden Knights.........here in LV & most of NV we get the AT&T Rocky Mtn. Western Feed 2, which splits off the Utah feed.......so we get VGK games while Utah gets Jazz games with no cross over - For VGK road games the studio pre-game show is fed in from their Denver Studios & the guys have to fly out to Vegas to do the pre-game show for home games 

So the AT&T we get in NV is basically worthless when there's no VGK or college games..........last summer the NV AT&T feed picked up WBNA Aces home games, but those moved to a local Cox feed so AT&T lost the one live summer sport they had.

Honestly don't see how the NV AT&T feed makes any money when there's no VGK or college games, I literally ignore the channel until the VGK / College FB starts up.

I really wish someone would step up & create a LV or LV & NV centric sports channel that would be the home of the VGK, Raiders side shows, UNLV, UNR, AAA LV Aviators & Reno Aces, WNBA Aces, USL LV lights & Reno 1886 FC,even Community College & some High School sports - that's a full years worth of sports scheduling potential 

So if any other company is looking to buy these AT&T regionals, I don't see why they would as there's such a small window of programming to make it any kind of profitable.

Well we have Nevada Sports Net up here in Reno that does a lot of that already.

7 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

To be viable there needs to be a major sports team to anchor the coverage & reason to be then add in the minor league - Not sure how that station makes any $$ considering there's just UNR & two minor league teams and high schools - To be reasonably profitable I would think some major league sports would be a must have 

15 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

NSN is a local OTA channel, and thus has a very limited reach.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:13 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Same way every other cable channel survives - monthly subscriber fees on top of ad revenues.  Now, its certainly harder for a single team channel, which is why at&t rm has split regional feeds (fox sports sw does the same thing with oklahoma and new orleans), but its not unprecedented.  The Cubs are about to start their own channel next spring, while the other pro teams are all remaining with NBC Sports Chicago.   Your post is a little confusing in this regard - on the one hand you wonder how the RM LV feed makes money, while advocating a standalone channel at the same time.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, Wyovanian said:

Add the AT&T-CBS dispute to the mix. As of now, there are no CBS channels available on DirecTV, including CBS Sports...

Wait, really?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, RSF said:

NSN is a local OTA channel, and thus has a very limited reach.

Same way every other cable channel survives - monthly subscriber fees on top of ad revenues.  Now, its certainly harder for a single team channel, which is why at&t rm has split regional feeds (fox sports sw does the same thing with oklahoma and new orleans), but its not unprecedented.  The Cubs are about to start their own channel next spring, while the other pro teams are all remaining with NBC Sports Chicago.   Your post is a little confusing in this regard - on the one hand you wonder how the RM LV feed makes money, while advocating a standalone channel at the same time.

Any sports centic channel needs a product - 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:25 PM, RSF said:

Which will be settled long before anybody misses anything of note.

I recall people saying this about DirecTV and Pac12 network.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

18 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Yep. And despite what RSF says, it looks like CBS is in no real hurry to get back on DirecTV.

Not what I said.  Both sides have until September.  So no, neither are in a hurry.  But this will be settled, and before the new season, which is what I said.  CBS and Dish took 2 weeks when they last tangled.  This is hardly the 1st time this situation has occurred.

4 hours ago, Mano said:

I recall people saying this about DirecTV and Pac12 network.

No, you didnt, because P12N has never been ON DTV and isnt one of the major networks.  Completely different situation.

9 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Any sports centic channel needs a product - 

And how did I say otherwise?

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

Wait, really?

Sorta.  Nationwide for CBSSN, but only in certain  markets for the main network.  And in many of those markets DTV is providing an app allowing streaming of the local CBS affiliate right thru the DTV box.  Which is how the missus watched 48 Hrs last night.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:28 AM, Wyovanian said:

Yep. And despite what RSF says, it looks like CBS is in no real hurry to get back on DirecTV.

We have entered into a new multi-year content carriage agreement with CBS Corporation. To our customers, we regret any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

48 replies19 retweets44 likes

Retweet