Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Chic-fil-A Law

Like I said in the Berkeley thread, I support State and Local rights. They can pass whatever law they want as long as it doesn’t violate the Constitution. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Like I said in the Berkeley thread, I support State and Local rights. They can pass whatever law they want as long as it doesn’t violate the Constitution. 

State sanctioning of discrimination against gays and lesbians might...

19 minutes ago, Orange said:

State sanctioning of discrimination against gays and lesbians might...

But does Chick Fil-A discriminate against them?  Do they ban them from employment?  Pay them lower wages?  Create a hostile work environment?  Refuse to sell them delicious chicken? I’ve never heard those complaints about the company.  I understand the owner donates to causes that support traditional marriage, etc. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

24 minutes ago, mugtang said:

But does Chick Fil-A discriminate against them?  Do they ban them from employment?  Pay them lower wages?  Create a hostile work environment?  Refuse to sell them delicious chicken? I’ve never heard those complaints about the company.  I understand the owner donates to causes that support traditional marriage, etc. 

Arguably, yes, when the CEO publicly supports organizations whose primary purpose is to make a gay person's life hell.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

Arguably, yes, when the CEO publicly supports organizations whose primary purpose is to make a gay person's life hell.

But aren’t most Chick Fil-A’s Owned by independent operators?  So the employee working in the restaurant doesn’t even work for that CEO.  They just work for the owner of the restaurant.  

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Seems weird. Now you can't not open a chic filet or what?

I don’t know.  I’m going to have to check my notes and get back to you. 

46 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The constitution of the US and probably all of the states have been morally wrong...a lot.

What irks me about this law is that it's basically a symbolic and worthless affirmation of free speech and at the same a little symbolic dog whistle ear flick to the libs or the lgbtq. 

Lgbtq is not a statewide protected class but I can imagine something similar to this being passed about protecting those that would donate to anti-interracial marriage 60 or 70 years ago.  It may have been "legal" or constitutional to do so, but it's way gross.  

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

The constitution of the US and probably all of the states have been morally wrong...a lot.

What irks me about this law is that it's basically a symbolic and worthless affirmation of free speech and at the same a little symbolic dog whistle ear flick to the libs or the lgbtq. 

Lgbtq is not a statewide protected class but I can imagine something similar to this being passed about protecting those that would donate to anti-interracial marriage 60 or 70 years ago.  It may have been "legal" or constitutional to do so, but it's way gross.  

The same people who said "integration goes against our customs and traditions" are the people who cry "religious discrimination" when they're not allowed to discriminate against gay people.

Funny how so much "tradition" in America is related to subjecting vulnerable groups to oppression.

5 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Seems weird. Now you can't not open a chic filet or what?

Seems like they're a license to print money.  LV didn't have them forever cuz LV is the devil's city, but when the kids took over they saw the light$$$. The one by my house was one of the first and the the most central in town. They actually had to alter the traffic of pretty large roads because of it. Had to install a new traffic signal like 200 yards from a major intersection.  Total cluster f.

39 minutes ago, pokebball said:

My business refuses to do business with your business because the owners are a minority?

Isn’t that discriminating against the owners? Is that what was happening to chick-fil-a?

1 hour ago, Orange said:

I don't understand this post.

First, how could that even arguably create a hostile work environment?

If you're an attorney you should know there are specific parameters of what a hostile work environment is, legally.

Second, how does supporting a traditional marriage make a gay person's life hell?

Why does supporting one lifestyle "make" another person suffer? I'm of the opinion of live and let live.

If someone wants to donate to support gay marriage, that doesn't make anyone's life hell, either.