Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Tulsi continues to impress

6 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Tulsi's in the moderate democrat camp with a few others, which is probably why.

She supports free college and single-payer health care.  But she used to hate gays, so maybe that's why you guys like her...

Just now, Orange said:

God DAMN you're retarded.

Maybe. But you're definitely obsessed. 

And you have questioned whether or not she was lying about her service...

http://www.pac12board.com/index.php?/topic/8184-politics-dem-debate/

Gabbard fared well, but I'm still not sure if she was/is in the military.  Can you guys check that for me?

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Maybe. But you're definitely obsessed. 

And you have questioned whether or not she was lying about her service...

http://www.pac12board.com/index.php?/topic/8184-politics-dem-debate/

Do I really have to tell your dumb ass that that was a joke?  Is this where we are as a species, that someone can be that fucking stupid?

Just now, Orange said:

Do I really have to tell your dumb ass that that was a joke?  Is this here we are as a species, where someone can be that fucking stupid?

Yeah. Given your disdain for Tulsi on display on this board, I'm sure it was just a joke. 

You're a liar on top of being retarded. 

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

I don't know who can create this viable 3rd party we all often talk about.  It's not Gabbard.

I don't either.  The closest we've ever gotten was with Ross Perot.  If it happens, it will have to be a combination of moderate repubs and what passes for conservative dems these days.  One person can't do it for any longer than an election cycle.  

A 3rd party may not be the answer anyway.  I'm just one of those guys who believes the growing tribalism is basically destroying the two party system and there is no longer much in the way of centrist/moderate candidates on either side.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't either.  The closest we've ever gotten was with Ross Perot.  If it happens, it will have to be a combination of moderate repubs and what passes for conservative dems these days.  One person can't do it for any longer than an election cycle.  

A 3rd party may not be the answer anyway.  I'm just one of those guys who believes the growing tribalism is basically destroying the two party system and there is no longer much in the way of centrist/moderate candidates on either side.   

Got that right.  And by extension, it's destroying the country.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Got that right.  And by extension, it's destroying the country.

The sad thing is, I'm as guilty of tribalism as anyone.  

The only thing I've done to combat that is to change my registration to non-partisan.  I am hopeful that if more people do that, the leadership of both parties may take notice and at least try to return to sanity.  I just don't see the current situation improving.  And I don't have a better idea than a viable, 3rd party.  

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The sad thing is, I'm as guilty of tribalism as anyone.  

The only thing I've done to combat that is to change my registration to non-partisan.  I am hopeful that if more people do that, the leadership of both parties may take notice and at least try to return to sanity.  I just don't see the current situation improving.  And I don't have a better idea than a viable, 3rd party.  

I think to combat tribalism we need to listen to those we disagree with.  Not disparage them for what their political positions are.  We need to talk through our differences and see if there’s an understanding that can be reached.  And if there can’t be don’t throw insults because you can’t agree on something.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think to combat tribalism we need to listen to those we disagree with.  Not disparage them for what their political positions are.  We need to talk through our differences and see if there’s an understanding that can be reached.  And if there can’t be don’t throw insults because you can’t agree on something.  

I got into a hella heated discussion IRL yesterday with a good friend of mine who is a democrat over the role and size of the federal government in a variety of sectors. At the end of the day, she and I just agreed to disagree. No one got called names. No friendships were ruined. 

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

IMO, that is no longer true.  The two sides are just too far apart.  We used to play between the 40 yard lines.  Now it's the 20 yard lines, at best.  There just isn't much in the way of common ground anymore.  How is a committed capitalist going find common ground with someone like AOC? 

The objective of either side is not to make things better for everyone, it's to attack and discredit the other side, even if they have a good plan.  A dim simply cannot support a position held by Trump and escape attacks from their own party.  The same was true with repubs when Obama was in office. If you weren't a supporter of the Tea Party, you were a Rino.  There is no compromise, you are either with us or against us.  You must tow the party line or face the consequences. 

Civility has to start at the top.  We haven't had a president who placed a high value on civil discussions and finding common ground since Bush 1.  And it will not happen with leadership like Pelosi and Trump and their ilk who thrive on hyperbolic statements, insults and manipulation of the facts.  And there is no one running who will change that.  And if there is, they won't make it out of the primaries.  

Barack Obama

36 minutes ago, Orange said:

She supports free college and single-payer health care.  But she used to hate gays, so maybe that's why you guys like her...

She may even disapprove of using "retarded" to describe other people

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

IMO, that is no longer true.  The two sides are just too far apart.  We used to play between the 40 yard lines.  Now it's the 20 yard lines, at best.  There just isn't much in the way of common ground anymore.  How is a committed capitalist going find common ground with someone like AOC? 

The objective of either side is not to make things better for everyone, it's to attack and discredit the other side, even if they have a good plan.  A dim simply cannot support a position held by Trump and escape attacks from their own party.  The same was true with repubs when Obama was in office. If you weren't a supporter of the Tea Party, you were a Rino.  There is no compromise, you are either with us or against us.  You must tow the party line or face the consequences. 

Civility has to start at the top.  We haven't had a president who placed a high value on civil discussions and finding common ground since Bush 1.  And it will not happen with leadership like Pelosi and Trump and their ilk who thrive on hyperbolic statements, insults and manipulation of the facts.  And there is no one running who will change that.  And if there is, they won't make it out of the primaries.  

Obama was, above all, civil.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

Obama was, above all, civil.

Obama was the most corrupt president sine Nixon.  Obama was only civil to those who shared his views. He is the only president, whom after he won the election, publicly stated he was going to reward his friends and punish his enemies.  There is nothing civil about that.  That was pure tribalism.  And it was foolish too.  He showed his true colors right off the bat. 

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

Obama was the most corrupt president sine Nixon.  Obama was only civil to those who shared his views. He is the only president, whom after he won the election, publicly stated he was going to reward his friends and punish his enemies.  There is nothing civil about that.  That was pure tribalism.  And it was foolish too.  He showed his true colors right off the bat. 

Good god, you're a crazy person.

As corrupt as Nixon?    How so?  And in your response, try not to invoke bursts of laughter with "Benghazi!" or "Fast and Furious!".

21 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

But this is the problem. We’re not willing to listen to each other.  So we retreat further into our echo chambers and have our own beliefs reinforced which causes us to not want to work with anybody.  Compromising shouldn’t be seen as surrendering.  Working together shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

But this is the problem. We’re not willing to listen to each other.  So we retreat further into our echo chambers and have our own beliefs reinforced which causes us to not want to work with anybody.  Compromising shouldn’t be seen as surrendering.  Working together shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing. 

Tell it to Mitch McConnell.

IMO, he's the real president of the country rn, and he's the singular reason nothing is done in DC.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

I think you just don’t like her because a lot of conservatives like her (due to her foreign policy stances). So regardless if you agree with her on most things you’ll just find something to dislike her for because you can’t stand agreeing with a conservative.