Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluerules009

Most impressive athletic feat you have ever seen

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I'm doubt that is true.  And I think you are naive if you feel like the most athletic professional athletes in any sport today are clean.

Why would you think I believe that?  The cheaters are always ahead of the curve.  As soon as the testers catch up, the cheaters make a new, undetectable, PED.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

There's so many to choose from.  The Fosbury Flop in the same Olympics is worth a mention.  It did change the sport, at least for awhile. 

Beamon:

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

1 minute ago, USU78 said:

Beamon:

That was an awesome moment.  I'm glad you brought BB up.  

Blues had a good idea for a thread.  But it would have been better if he had made different categories.  One for team sports, one for feats of strength, etc. 

I'm surprised no one, including me, mentioned John-Claude Killy.  He did what had never been done, has never been done since, and probably never will be.  But if you don't ski or follow the winter oly's, you don't even put him in the honorable mention category. 

Barack Obama

19 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm surprised no one, including me, mentioned John-Claude Killy.  He did what had never been done, has never been done since, and probably never will be.  But if you don't ski or follow the winter oly's, you don't even put him in the honorable mention category. 

And his brother Jean-Claude Killy was a pretty good skier, too.

BTW....to what feat are you referring?  He wasnt the 1st to win 3 golds in 1 Olympics.  That was Toni Sailer.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

18 minutes ago, RSF said:

And his brother Jean-Claude Killy was a pretty good skier, too.

BTW....to what feat are you referring?  He wasnt the 1st to win 3 golds in 1 Olympics.  That was Toni Sailer.

I could blame that on auto correct, but it was me. B)

And thanks for pointing out my error. I thought he had won 4, including the combined.  

I'm not thinking of someone else, am I?  No one has won more than 3, right?

Either way, 3 golds in Alpine Skiing is an incredible feat.   I haven't seen Michael Phelps or that snow boarder, Sean White, mentioned either.  Those guys dominated a sport for a long time.   

Barack Obama

I would argue that Junior Seau was stronger that Larry Allen - at least pound for pound.  Larry Allen did 43 reps with 225 and I watched Seau do 46 at his pro day at the age of 20 and 90 lbs lighter than Larry Allen.  I also trained at the same gym in SD as Seau, knew him (my brother played with him at USC) and on occasion trained with him.  He would routinely routinely do five plates (495) for six reps with ease.  I've competed in power lifting and bodybuilding since 1989 and have never seen anyone as naturally strong as Junior and I've trained non-stop for the past 30 years and trained with and watched a lot of record-holding power lifters and pro bodybuilders.

4 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I know CU's 1990 National Championship was controversial but as time goes on, that CU team was very legit.

CU tied with the eventual SEC champs Tenneesee  on a neutral site game in California.

CU beat the eventual SWC champs in Texas on the road.

CU lost to the eventual Big Ten champs at Illinois by one point.

CU beat the eventual Pac-10 champs at home against Washington.  CU also beat Stanford who was building something at that time and won the Pac-10 two years later.

CU beat Nebraska on the road.

CU beat Oklahoma at home.  Despite being on probation, OU still had a legit team that year.

Playing four eventual conference championships is pretty rare and CU did deserve a mulligan with that 5th down game at Missouri.

Look, as a Husker I'm conditioned to loathe all things CU.  That said how do ya figure this?

Bo Jackson, and to narrow it to one impressive feat, this game below.

Bo Jackson was Rocky, and Brian Bozworth was the ominous evil Russian steroid freak.

(sorry - NFL block the embedded Youtube image, but you can find it at "When the Boz Met Bo Jackson")

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Bo Jackson, and to narrow it to one impressive feat, this game below.

Bo Jackson was Rocky, and Brian Bozworth was the ominous evil Russian steroid freak.

(sorry - NFL block the embedded Youtube image, but you can find it at "When the Boz Met Bo Jackson")

That wasn't the big deal people made it out to be.  

Bosworth had a guy in his legs blocking him so Bo had all the forward momentum.   

16 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Look, as a Husker I'm conditioned to loathe all things CU.  That said how do ya figure this?

Brutal non conference schedule for the Buffs that season given all those OOC teams except for Stanford won their conferences.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:57 PM, bluerules009 said:

I don't agree. 

In 10 years there be a couple guys every race beating that number.  There might be one guy a generation who can do what Larry Allen, Wilt Chamberlain could do.

21 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

I see no difference between a marathon and a 100 meter dash.  It is just as specialized running event.    In fact marathons are short compared to triathlons and some of the ultra marathons that are 100+ mile races.

Larry Allen, Wilt Chamberlain and others were good at several things, top 1% good.  

A 1 event stick guy does not compare.

What are you talking about? A marathon is longer than an Olympic tri, let alone a sprint

Blues, the guy who ran all the time and swam faster than any girls even though he was mediocre and played awesome football and knows every country ever

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

What are you talking about? A marathon is longer than an Olympic tri, let alone a sprint

Blues, the guy who ran all the time and swam faster than any girls even though he was mediocre and played awesome football and knows every country ever

The triathelons i know of a marathon is just one of 3 events.

I had no idea it was an olympic sport.

Any of these are far more impressive than a marathon.

https://www.sportsmanagementdegreehub.com/10-longest-races-world/

The 6633 Arctic Ultra is known as one of the hardest, coldest, windiest long distance footraces humans have undertaken. The recently completed 2017 version was only the 9th time it’s been held. Competitors must support themselves over 120 or 350 miles, both of which cross into the Arctic Circle (at the 23rd mile, 66 degrees, 33 minutes). The 120 mile version ends at First Nations Hamlet of Fort McPherson, and the 350 mile race continues to the banks of the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk. For much of the race, participants everything they need on sleds while they race through mountains between the Yukon and Northwest Territories. Temperatures are tend towards 25 below zero, but with winds that can reach 70+kph making the experience much colder. 2017 was the last year the route included all of the Ice Road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk (the final 120 miles). Next year a new route will have to be chosen because the Ice Road to Tuktoyaktuk will no longer exist.

This race traces its roots to the ancient world, and the story of Pheidippides, an Athenian messenger sent to Sparta in 490 BC to ask for aid from the Persians in the fortuitously named Battle of Marathon. It took Pheidippides a day to get there, Greek historian Herodotus claims. The first race commemorating Pheidippides’ trip was held in 1983. Each year the race begins a 7 AM, usually on the last Friday of September. The race starts at the Athenian citadel Acropolis, then winds out of Athens along the coast towards passing Elefsis, Megara, and Kineta, then hitting Corinth as the first major checkpoint of six (the race has 75 total checkpoints, all of which have cut-off times). The race is 153 miles (246 km) long, and must be completed within 36 hours.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

The triathelons i know of a marathon is just one of 3 events.

That's an iron man. Yes, much longer.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

I had no idea it was an olympic sport.

Any of these are far more impressive than a marathon.

https://www.sportsmanagementdegreehub.com/10-longest-races-world/

The 6633 Arctic Ultra is known as one of the hardest, coldest, windiest long distance footraces humans have undertaken. The recently completed 2017 version was only the 9th time it’s been held. Competitors must support themselves over 120 or 350 miles, both of which cross into the Arctic Circle (at the 23rd mile, 66 degrees, 33 minutes). The 120 mile version ends at First Nations Hamlet of Fort McPherson, and the 350 mile race continues to the banks of the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk. For much of the race, participants everything they need on sleds while they race through mountains between the Yukon and Northwest Territories. Temperatures are tend towards 25 below zero, but with winds that can reach 70+kph making the experience much colder. 2017 was the last year the route included all of the Ice Road from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk (the final 120 miles). Next year a new route will have to be chosen because the Ice Road to Tuktoyaktuk will no longer exist.

This race traces its roots to the ancient world, and the story of Pheidippides, an Athenian messenger sent to Sparta in 490 BC to ask for aid from the Persians in the fortuitously named Battle of Marathon. It took Pheidippides a day to get there, Greek historian Herodotus claims. The first race commemorating Pheidippides’ trip was held in 1983. Each year the race begins a 7 AM, usually on the last Friday of September. The race starts at the Athenian citadel Acropolis, then winds out of Athens along the coast towards passing Elefsis, Megara, and Kineta, then hitting Corinth as the first major checkpoint of six (the race has 75 total checkpoints, all of which have cut-off times). The race is 153 miles (246 km) long, and must be completed within 36 hours.

There are a lot of things more impressive than a marathon, a channel swim, an ultra as you mention, any climb of el capitan, but to be world class in a marathon is as impressive as being world class in most anything.

Pheidippides didn't just run a marathon... he ran to Sparta, then ran back to Athens, then marched to Marathon, then fought in the battle as a hoplite wearing ~60lb of armor, then ran to Athens and died. I have a hard time thinking of any modern athlete performing that feat.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Pheidippides didn't just run a marathon... he ran to Sparta, then ran back to Athens, then marched to Marathon, then fought in the battle as a hoplite wearing ~60lb of armor, then ran to Athens and died. I have a hard time thinking of any modern athlete performing that fea

Nope, Larry Allen did all that too. Didn’t wear 60 lbs of battle armor either. Even “passed” the drug test!

5 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Brutal non conference schedule for the Buffs that season given all those OOC teams except for Stanford won their conferences.

So teams that have a tough OOC get 5 downs to win a game??  Conference games are tough for a reason.  No one deserves a mulligan.  

19 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

So teams that have a tough OOC get 5 downs to win a game??  Conference games are tough for a reason.  No one deserves a mulligan.  

Do teams intentionally spike the ball on 4th down to stop the clock?

That's an iron man. Yes, much longer.

There are a lot of things more impressive than a marathon, a channel swim, an ultra as you mention, any climb of el capitan, but to be world class in a marathon is as impressive as being world class in most anything.

I agree, i agree it is as impressive as any one other world class track event.  That is what i have said over and over.

Pheidippides didn't just run a marathon... he ran to Sparta, then ran back to Athens, then marched to Marathon, then fought in the battle as a hoplite wearing ~60lb of armor, then ran to Athens and died. I have a hard time thinking of any modern athlete performing that feat.

Yes, he died probably for lack of salt.  Without it his heart stopped because he couldn't innervate the muscle.   Modern hydration would have let him run farther.