Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoggFather

CSU: Bastion of Leftist Ideology?

6 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Using “American” to describe people from the United States is pretty inaccurate if you think about it. “America” covers the entire Western Hemisphere. I think asking people in an academic setting to use accurate terms and labels for things is not too much to ask. 

Conversely, when regular jag offs are having regular jag off conversations, everyone knows what “American” means. We know they couldn’t possibly mean Chileans or Canadians. Couching it as “offensive” is the work of this video though. I doubt you’ll see anyone demand you apologize for using an inaccurate but colloquial phrase in casual conversation.

Cool. From this point on, I will not refer to you as an American but rather a eunuch.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

😂😂😂

The ONLY thing these officials should be worried about is increasing the numbers of minorities on campus AND graduating them.

Why?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Using “American” to describe people from the United States is pretty inaccurate if you think about it. “America” covers the entire Western Hemisphere. I think asking people in an academic setting to use accurate terms and labels for things is not too much to ask. 

Conversely, when regular jag offs are having regular jag off conversations, everyone knows what “American” means. We know they couldn’t possibly mean Chileans or Canadians. Couching it as “offensive” is the work of this video though. I doubt you’ll see anyone demand you apologize for using an inaccurate but colloquial phrase in casual conversation.

United States of AMERICA is the name of the country in which you live.

Care to reset your asinine take?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

32 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

United States of AMERICA is the name of the country in which you live.

Care to reset your asinine take?

It’s called reading. Top to bottom. Left to right. A group of words together is a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches. Midol for any cramps.

Hm, in Spanish we all live in the continent of America.  So,  gringos claiming to be the only "Americans" rings as falsely to their ears as someone from Mexico claiming that their country was the one true "US" would to ours.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 hours ago, happycamper said:

Hm, in Spanish we all live in the continent of America.  So,  gringos claiming to be the only "Americans" rings as falsely to their ears as someone from Mexico claiming that their country was the one true "US" would to ours.

No need for the in Spanish part as in English it is the continents of America, but using American to denote a resident of the American Continents is far more likely to result in confusion.  If referring to an inhabitant of North America the term North American is good if South America South American.  If referencing both continents I would argue a term such as Pan-American would be appropriate as this term makes it clear you aren't referencing a nation or just one continent.  Again, there are two nation's in history, one now defunct that has/had America in it's name the USA and the CSA.  As we generally use  nationality to describe citizens since there is only one nation that has America in it's name the term American is in no way degrading to other nations on the American Continents or their inhabitants.  If anything it is a sign of respect to those other nations and the name of that nation.  The people of those nation's should be able to take pride in their nation and want to be called by their name.

As for your point about true US well the official formal names of Mexico would translate to the Mexican United States (making point clear for those who may not know).  As such you have two nations with United States in their name which is why the sometimes proposed term of "United Statesian" to replace American is a poor idea.  The moment you have another nation with the name America in it you would have a point, but there isn't except for in the mind of some like those folk in Moneta.

19 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Not really, since "America" is actually part of the name of our country.

12 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Why?

This is just IMO and specific to Nevada. I could give two chits what you do in San Diego. I think that if a university is going to go out of its way to recruit minorities than the goal shouldn’t be to just get more on campus but to ensure they graduate. Or it’s a big fat waste of money. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

No need for the in Spanish part as in English it is the continents of America, but using American to denote a resident of the American Continents is far more likely to result in confusion.  If referring to an inhabitant of North America the term North American is good if South America South American.  If referencing both continents I would argue a term such as Pan-American would be appropriate as this term makes it clear you aren't referencing a nation or just one continent.  Again, there are two nation's in history, one now defunct that has/had America in it's name the USA and the CSA.  As we generally use  nationality to describe citizens since there is only one nation that has America in it's name the term American is in no way degrading to other nations on the American Continents or their inhabitants.  If anything it is a sign of respect to those other nations and the name of that nation.  The people of those nation's should be able to take pride in their nation and want to be called by their name.

As for your point about true US well the official formal names of Mexico would translate to the Mexican United States (making point clear for those who may not know).  As such you have two nations with United States in their name which is why the sometimes proposed term of "United Statesian" to replace American is a poor idea.  The moment you have another nation with the name America in it you would have a point, but there isn't except for in the mind of some like those folk in Moneta.

Yep. Whenever I'm asked about it, I just say that in Spanish, of course calling myself "Americano" is stupid, but in English, there is no continent of "America" and that "United Statsian" sounds awful, far worse than estadounidense. Makes it easy enough.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 7/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, CV147 said:

It seems to me the more you insulate a group from things that are offensive, the more they find innocuous things offensive.

Just about everyone wants to be offended about something. It's part of human nature.

But, as Marcus Aurelius said, “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

Among my objections to outright banning the use of certain words are that so doing not only offends free speech in a constitutional sense, it results in controlling the actions of others in a psychological sense. Because even universities which lack an ability to incarcerate miscreants should therefore be required to have a reasonable basis for the imposition of rules, it appears as though in that environment, more than just sticks and stones are now capable of breaking bones.

Boom goes the dynamite.