Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoggFather

CSU: Bastion of Leftist Ideology?

It seems to me the more you insulate a group from things that are offensive, the more they find innocuous things offensive.

Just about everyone wants to be offended about something. It's part of human nature.

But, as Marcus Aurelius said, “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

It seems to me the more you insulate a group from things that are offensive, the more they find innocuous things offensive.

Just about everyone wants to be offended about something. It's part of human nature.

But, as Marcus Aurelius said, “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

😂😂😂

The ONLY thing these officials should be worried about is increasing the numbers of minorities on campus AND graduating them.

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

😂😂😂

The ONLY thing these officials should be worried about is increasing the numbers of minorities on campus AND graduating them.

How is that relevant to the original post or to my reply?

Using “American” to describe people from the United States is pretty inaccurate if you think about it. “America” covers the entire Western Hemisphere. I think asking people in an academic setting to use accurate terms and labels for things is not too much to ask. 

Conversely, when regular jag offs are having regular jag off conversations, everyone knows what “American” means. We know they couldn’t possibly mean Chileans or Canadians. Couching it as “offensive” is the work of this video though. I doubt you’ll see anyone demand you apologize for using an inaccurate but colloquial phrase in casual conversation.

10 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Using “American” to describe people from the United States is pretty inaccurate if you think about it. “America” covers the entire Western Hemisphere. I think asking people in an academic setting to use accurate terms and labels for things is not too much to ask. 

Conversely, when regular jag offs are having regular jag off conversations, everyone knows what “American” means. We know they couldn’t possibly mean Chileans or Canadians. Couching it as “offensive” is the work of this video though. I doubt you’ll see anyone demand you apologize for using an inaccurate but colloquial phrase in casual conversation.

While I see your point, I have never experienced a situation where anyone has been confused by calling the country America or us Americans.  Right or wrong, it's widely accepted.  I blow my nose with kleenex and all my boxes say Puffs on 'em.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I agree with it and the fools who spend time telling others how to feel and think have gone off the deep end? 

OH Okay. I was curious what your point was. lol

4 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

I would have expected this kind of "guide" from your pot-smoking neighbors to the south but not the Rams!

Funny how the people who complain about on-campus "outrage" over things are, by far, the biggest outrage whores I see.  Anywhere.

No one is telling anyone to stop saying "crazy", or "America".  This video is hogwash.  Notice they got the blondest, whitest christian white girl they could find.  Pretty pathetic virtue-signaling by the Right.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

Funny how the people who complain about on-campus "outrage" over things are, by far, the biggest outrage whores I see.  Anywhere.

No one is telling anyone to stop saying "crazy", or "America".  This video is hogwash.  Notice they got the blondest, whitest christian white girl they could find.  Pretty pathetic virtue-signaling by the Right.

You're a misogynist

11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

While I see your point, I have never experienced a situation where anyone has been confused by calling the country America or us Americans.  Right or wrong, it's widely accepted.  I blow my nose with kleenex and all my boxes say Puffs on 'em.

Right. There’s a huge difference between an academic setting and casual conversation. People in the south call all sodas “coke.” It doesn’t seem to create confusion. If, however, you use the term “coke” in an academic setting, it will be entirely unclear whether you mean coca-cola, cocaine, or something else. 

I’m saying, though, that the idea that it’s “offensive” is propaganda. No one is trying to control language, only explain that a common language with agreed-upon definitions is necessary for discourse. If that’s not something you’re interested in, misnomer away. 

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Right. There’s a huge difference between an academic setting and casual conversation. People in the south call all sodas “coke.” It doesn’t seem to create confusion. If, however, you use the term “coke” in an academic setting, it will be entirely unclear whether you mean coca-cola, cocaine, or something else. 

I’m saying, though, that the idea that it’s “offensive” is propaganda. No one is trying to control language, only explain that a common language with agreed-upon definitions is necessary for discourse. If that’s not something you’re interested in, misnomer away. 

While I do appreciate the academic contribution on this board, I consider the conversation here casual.  No matter the setting, it is important to clarify meaning, I don't disagree.  But let's agree to use my definitions :) 

12 minutes ago, pokebball said:

While I do appreciate the academic contribution on this board, I consider the conversation here casual.  No matter the setting, it is important to clarify meaning, I don't disagree.  But let's agree to use my definitions :) 

I agree, which is why you aren’t going to catch me hounding people over their preferred misnomers.

I just disagree with the idea that the language police are out there hunting down word criminals who use “offensive” words.

Anyone who doesn’t believe me, I encourage you to drive to Fort Collins, go to CSU’s campus, walk to the middle of the quad, and yell “I am an American!” at the top of your lungs and see what happens. 

44 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I agree, which is why you aren’t going to catch me hounding people over their preferred misnomers.

I just disagree with the idea that the language police are out there hunting down word criminals who use “offensive” words.

Anyone who doesn’t believe me, I encourage you to drive to Fort Collins, go to CSU’s campus, walk to the middle of the quad, and yell “I am an American!” at the top of your lungs and see what happens. 

You know I'm just 45 miles up the road, right.  I think I'll put on my favorite brown and gold and do exactly this.

I didn't see anything in the video suggesting language police enforcing the use of offensive words.  I think the point of the video is that CSU officially published this list.

I think Poke students and fans should hand out copies of this list before our games and freely use any and all of them during the contest.  I'd encourage all other students and fans of other MWC teams to do the same.

3 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

How many of those nation's official names end with America?  If it is zero then to refer to citizens of the one nation in the world with America in it's name as Americans is not confusing or inaccurate in the least.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

How many of those nation's official names end with America?  If it is zero then to refer to citizens of the one nation in the world with America in it's name as Americans is not confusing or inaccurate in the least.

Colloquially, you’ll get no argument from me (or anyone else I’m sure). But academically, it’s the same as the difference between New Zealander and Kiwi. One is formal and one is casual. Neither is offensive.

New Zealander and Kiwi would be like American and Yank. I have read way too many academic papers were American is used to refer to either citizens, things developed by, and military units of the United States to buy your take.  There is an exception being academic papers on the American Civil War as that was a fight between two American Armies.  So unless you are a member of or apologist for the now defunct CSA...

Edit, I will say there are some times in an academic paper (like one on the American Civil War or a paper focused on assessing people of the American continents or something along those lines) that using the term American might cause confusion, but those are rather few and do not justify not allowing the word American in the vast majority of academic works.

Here is a link to the actual Guide.  This isn't excluding colloquial use.

CSU Guide to "Inclusive" language

For those not willing to click the link this is the purpose of the guide

The guide is not about political-correctness or policing grammar, but rather helping communicators practice inclusive language and helping everyone on our campus feel welcomed, respected, and valued.

One person's "inclusive" is another person's politically correct.

Yeah I am not buying SJSUMFA2013's take on this. 

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

So pamphlets given to students that with so called offensive words and phrases in them that if a student uses might result in some academic penalty doesn't fit your definition of language police?

You are funny.

Here is a gem a suggested term to use instead of Hispanic
:lol:

Using person’s country of origin such as Cuban-American