Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulsa Guy

Pistols Firing: The Big 12 may want an expanded playoff

5 hours ago, RSF said:

Funny, we only had a couple late games in all of our years in the WAC and MWC.  And one of those was in Hawaii.  Didnt seem to hurt us.

And yes, the eastern schools were a detriment to the conference.  It was too unwieldy and on the field mediocrity would have been an upgrade.  Which is why we did something about it.  Sorry if you cant handle that.

Boise State had five home games starting 8:15PM MST (10:15PM EST,)  UConn, Colorado State, BYU, Fresno State, and Utah State.  This means the games ended around midnight.  I don't know how you are defining late but that's pretty late to me.  These late night starts keep BSU's TV ratings low, despite the fact the Broncos are a very good football team.  Mediocre TV ratings would be an upgrade.

Went and looked it up.

In 12  years in the WAC and MWC, we played 5 games that kicked off after 8pm central.  And one of those was against...SMU.  In Dallas.  The horror. 

One of those was in Hawaii.  11pm central kickoff.  Stayed up for it - I was a lot younger then.  Payback was a bitch, though.  The return game in FW was also at 11.  11am central time.

Late night kickoffs were only an issue if one was looking for something to complain about.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

MWC's problems are deep.  Oklahoma, with 4 million people, is the smallest state in the AAC geography.  But Oklahoma  would be the 3rd largest state in the MWC behind California and Colorado.  SEC and B1G are at 14 teams.  ACC is at 14 teams plus Notre Dame.  PAC-12 invited 4 Big 12 teams and would have been 16 teams if the invitation was accepted.  So it is very difficult to say that 16 teams were too many.  When you have a conference with states like Wyoming with 500,000 people, that conference is not going to have a TV audience of any substance.

With hindsight, Tulsa and the Texas schools were being hurt badly by the WAC-16 as these four schools were being taken out of the heavily populated areas into an area featuring low populations and late night starts which are TV killers.  Just look at Boise State's dismal tv ratings and that pretty much sums up MWC's primary issue, the lack of a TV audience.

The claim that Tulsa and the Texas schools hurt the WAC-16 is really the opposite.  The MWC states, with their low populations and late TV starts, were hurting Tulsa and the Texas schools much more.

So why do you cry about it so much then if the MW hurt your school?

19 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Winning football certainly turns on the TV sets.  But recognizing the TV audience, B1G invited Rutgers....and also Maryland.  Neither school is exactly a stellar football program but they do turn on the TV sets. 

Darn you Houston!  Tulsa was involved with the formation of a new conference prior to the WAC-16 invitation which became CUSA.  But all's well that ends well.

The B1G added those two teams because they could add the Big Ten Network to the local cable package and then the B1G gets money for carriage fees.  It doesn't matter if the people in those states turned on their TVs or not.  They paid their cable bill and that is all that matters.

So you cannot split the tv money separately out of the bowls?  Your assertions have nothing to back it up then.

what the hell are you babbling about?

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Darn you Houston!  Tulsa was involved with the formation of a new conference prior to the WAC-16 invitation which became CUSA.  But all's well that ends well.

Wrong.  Again.

The Tulsa/San Jose State game was just announced for 8pm central time on ESPN3.

Hope that's not too late for Tulsa Guy....

On 7/18/2019 at 5:03 PM, RSF said:

You got bitch slapped by North Texas.

We trusted a Yankee with our football team and we got what we deserved for it.

We also deserve the 30 million dollars in annual TV revenue, just like you deserve the gift cards to Sam's club ESPN pays y'all with.

WOO PIG!!!

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

14 minutes ago, woo pig sooie said:

We also deserve the 30 million dollars in annual TV revenue, just like you deserve the gift cards to Sam's club ESPN pays y'all with.

WOO PIG!!!

Not sure what you're talking about.  My school gets nice big checks from Disney and Fox.  And we all know it kills Arkansas fans that they had to hire someone from Texas to save their program.  Only decent coach you've had in 25 years had to be fired because he was such a miserable human being.  But thanks for playing anyways.

Personal question - does your house have an outhouse and a satellite dish?  Lot of those in Arkansas.

1 hour ago, woo pig sooie said:

WOO PIG!!!

Your football team sucks. Your whole athletic program is garbage for that matter. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, RSF said:

The Tulsa/San Jose State game was just announced for 8pm central time on ESPN3.

Hope that's not too late for Tulsa Guy....

I posted the following on the Tulsa Rivals Board May 2, 2019:

Why are we playing SJSU?

"Why are we incurring these substantially increased travel costs to play SJSU?  Describing SJSU as mediocre is an undeserved compliment.  If they beat us, its a public relations disaster.  If we win, its so what?  There are so many other teams close by in areas we recruit, why not play them instead?"

On 7/18/2019 at 5:49 PM, HiCountryCowboy said:

It’s pretty much known, but kept super secret around here, that Utah being in the same quadrant as Tulsa would’ve been the kill shot to keep them from jumping to the Pac 12.  Damn Denver Airport meeting and those guys trying to keep traditional rivalries intact. I mean we could’ve been cheering for a +++++ing tv network this whole time instead of our alma mater. 

Looks like the kill shot was WY, CSU, and AFA.

1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Why are we playing SJSU?

"Why are we incurring these substantially increased travel costs to play SJSU?  Describing SJSU as mediocre is an undeserved compliment.  If they beat us, its a public relations disaster.  If we win, its so what?  There are so many other teams close by in areas we recruit, why not play them instead?"

You could probably switch SJSU w/Tulsa in your statement and have the same argument.

Why are we playing SJSU?

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are all truly interested what you posted on the Rivals board about 2 shitty teams playing each other.  Each could certainly use the victory.  I'm sorry for you that you cant even get Sun Belt teams to play you.

Why are we playing SJSU?

It is part of a home and home series, first game was at Tulsa in 2016.

My guess is Tulsa couldn't afford the buy out price for this year. :coffeecomputer:

Other Tulsa fans see SJSU as an important game. I see this posted this past week on the Tulsa board:

TU has always struggled to win in San Jose (in both football and basketball). It's the key game of the year assuming an expected loss at MSU. I worry about travel, with a trip north followed by a trip west. The time zone can be a real problem if the players don't have at least a day to adjust.

https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/threads/tulsa-san-jose-state-game-time-set.18081/#post-259059

Tulsa is at Michigan State the week before SJSU and hosts OK State the week after. SJSU could get overlooked.

"The time zone can be a real problem...'

Sad when you have to have your excuses lined up before playing San Jose State.  If Tulsa has a problem with an 8pm kickoff, then just shutting down is a real option.

20 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

It is part of a home and home series, first game was at Tulsa in 2016.

My guess is Tulsa couldn't afford the buy out price for this year. :coffeecomputer:

Other Tulsa fans see SJSU as an important game. I see this posted this past week on the Tulsa board:

Tulsa is at Michigan State the week before SJSU and hosts OK State the week after. SJSU could get overlooked.

When you have 5 wins in 2 years, you definitely do no overlook anyone.

Every game on the schedule is important.  I just don't see the reason to travel 1,690 miles to schedule a football game when there are so many teams close by such as UNT, UTSA, Texas State, Rice, UTEP, the front range MWC schools, the Louisiana schools, Arkansas State.  Tulsa and Wyoming play this year and this game makes a lot of sense for both schools.

23 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Tulsa and Wyoming play this year and this game makes a lot of sense for both schools.

So a 4:50 flight between Tulsa and Laramie is OK, but a 5:05 flight to San Jose is just too much.