Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Return to California

My wife and I are down for her HS reunion in the Bay Area. We havent been here for 10-15 years. Things I’ve noticed.

1) The area and weather is still beautiful

2) The Hispanic immigrant population is noticeable, however, they appear to have mostly low paying service related jobs as maids and landscape care for the middle class and wealthy. We had lunch at a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant and the food was really good. Nothing like the Americanized Mexican restaurants.

3) Lots of upper middle class driving around in new cars. A lot more Mercedes and high end cars on the roads

4) The traffic at least between Sacramento and SanFrancisco has gotten way worse. It is approaching grid lock IMO. There have been virtually no new road improvements but traffic seems like it has doubled. Go fast for awhile and slow down to a crawl for awhile. It took us three hours to drive from Sac to SF on a Saturday morning. They could use a high speed rail system between Sac and SF. 

5) Many people commute relatively long distances to work in horrible traffic. IMO the only way to live here is to have a job in the suburbs or cities with a short commute or work at home. Living in the suburbs and working in the cities would be ridiculous. You would be stressed from the commute before you arrived at work.

6) Lots of big houses and upper middle class in the suburbs. Never went into SF or Sac. So didn’t see the street people.

7) No way I would ever want to live here again. Even a six figure salary wouldn’t be worth it. The congestion is overbearing. 

8) I can understand the overregulation to a degree when you have so many people living in in a confined area. 

We are still down here until the end of the week visiting family and friends. I’ll be glad to get home. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

My wife and I are down for her HS reunion in the Bay Area. We havent been here for 10-15 years. Things I’ve noticed.

1) The area and weather is still beautiful

2) The Hispanic immigrant population is noticeable, however, they appear to have mostly low paying service related jobs as maids and landscape care for the middle class and wealthy. We had lunch at a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant and the food was really good. Nothing like the Americanized Mexican restaurants.

3) Lots of upper middle class driving around in new cars. A lot more Mercedes and high end cars on the roads

4) The traffic at least between Sacramento and SanFrancisco has gotten way worse. It is approaching grid lock IMO. There have been virtually no new road improvements but traffic seems like it has doubled. Go fast for awhile and slow down to a crawl for awhile. It took us three hours to drive from Sac to SF on a Saturday morning. They could use a high speed rail system between Sac and SF. 

5) Many people commute relatively long distances to work in horrible traffic. IMO the only way to live here is to have a job in the suburbs or cities with a short commute or work at home. Living in the suburbs and working in the cities would be ridiculous. You would be stressed from the commute before you arrived at work.

6) Lots of big houses and upper middle class in the suburbs. Never went into SF or Sac. So didn’t see the street people.

7) No way I would ever want to live here again. Even a six figure salary wouldn’t be worth it. The congestion is overbearing. 

8) I can understand the overregulation to a degree when you have so many people living in in a confined area. 

We are still down here until the end of the week visiting family and friends. I’ll be glad to get home. 

There are great places to visit and great places to live.  SF and the bay area are great places to visit.  Certainly not my choice to live.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

the tourist spots and scenic places  are  (usually) OK in the city of  San Fran. San Mateo and Marin county coasts still cool.

When I drive down there I am initially overwhelmed by the traffic, can see 8-10 freeway  lanes all going 60 mph.

....... then a few min later can take you 20 minutes to go 2 miles. (as you mentioned)

I used to live there also- (Peninsula side) and I was used to it then.

Of course Nor Nev. has nothing to compare to that.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

35 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

the tourist spots and scenic places  are  (usually) OK in the city of  San Fran. San Mateo and Marin county coasts still cool.

When I drive down there I am initially overwhelmed by the traffic, can see 8-10 freeway  lanes all going 60 mph.

....... then a few min later can take you 20 minutes to go 2 miles. (as you mentioned)

Growing up I had an aunt and uncle that lived in San Mateo.  Both worked for United Airlines.  Growing up, I got to spend 2-4 weeks every summer with them.  What more could a kid as for, right?  I spent a lot of time in the valley growing up.  Man how it's changed.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

You keep thinking that and don't leave reno or the sierras.

10 hours ago, toonkee said:

Why is the amount of Hispanics noteworthy?

I was just curious since there have been a lot of Hispanic immigrants into California since I left and it is noticeable. What is note worthy is most appear to be more or less servants for the middle and upper classes. Maybe that’s why Cali residents want to protect them and don’t want them deported. They like the cheap labor to clean their houses and mow their lawns. 

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I was just curious since there have been a lot of Hispanic immigrants into California since I left and it is noticeable. What is note worthy is most appear to be more or less servants for the middle and upper classes. Maybe that’s why Cali residents want to protect them and don’t want them deported. They like the cheap labor to clean their houses and mow their lawns. 

As someone who is Hispanic and US born, doesn't work as a "servant" to the middle class and wealthy,  great way to generalize. 

What a prejudice filled comment .

12 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

As someone who is Hispanic and US born, doesn't work as a "servant" to the middle class and wealthy,  great way to generalize. 

What a bigotry filled comment .

I don't think bigotry is the right way to label his post. It's his observation. 

Now tell me if the following is bigoted.

The resort I work at has a predominately Jamaican laundry and housekeeping staff.

The server's in the restaurants and the pool areas are predominately ( J1 -or international students) from eastern Europe. 

Both of these groups as well as the Americans ( such as I) are really subservient to the owners of the resort as well as the guests. 

We all do a job for a paycheck.  If you work for someone else you're always a servant. Servant may have many different meanings but at the end of the day you're at someone else's bidding.

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

What a bigotry filled comment .

It is about a 98% accurate generalization.   A whole lot more accurate than anything you ever post.

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

This could very well be the NO SHIT SHERLOCK post of the universe for all time.

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

White non-hispanic are a minority in California.

39% Hispanic

37% White (non-hispanic)

14% Asian

5% Black

Growing up in San Jose with the 500,000 or so expats from Vietnam, 14% Asian is kind of surprising. I'm used to there being Asians everywhere, stay away from Tully Rd exit amap.