Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Air Force considering the AAC?

https://gazette.com/sports/governor-s-cup-air-force-cu-and-csu-football-coaches/article_68c9c29c-a434-11e9-97f2-a732739ba052.html

The last paragraph could be a puff of smoke. It certainly would open the OOC games for AF and Navy as well.  To join one of their service academy brethren in a league is pretty tempting.

The WAC would be happy to take the rest of their sports.

maybe they could televise the Governor's Cup on Stadium....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

https://gazette.com/sports/governor-s-cup-air-force-cu-and-csu-football-coaches/article_68c9c29c-a434-11e9-97f2-a732739ba052.html

The last paragraph could be a puff of smoke. It certainly would open the OOC games for AF and Navy as well.  To join one of their service academy brethren in a league is pretty tempting.

Yes, but would Air Force be happy with Chicago State and Grand Canyon?

Just now, jdgaucho said:

Yes, but would Air Force be happy with Chicago State and Grand Canyon?

they could actually compete and beat them in sports like basketball...

AF would get 4.86 million as a AAC football only member plus a small check from the WAC...so it would mean more money, better football exposure, and the chance to compete and win at Olympic sports.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

AF would get 4.86 million as a AAC football only member plus a small check from the WAC...so it would mean more money, better football exposure, and the chance to compete and win at Olympic sports.

I actually think of all the MWC schools, Air Force is the only school that potentially makes any sense.  

they are close enough, add a larger fanbase, and Air Force might actually be interested, because of Navy.

Looking at their non-football options, I'd rank them like this.

(1) WCC --- this would be by far their preferred destination.  But I don't think the WCC would be interested in expanding to 11 right now.   And Air Force doesn't improve basketball or any other sports.  

(2) Summit League -- They could partner with Denver.  The Summit League has schools with decent enough academics.   But it is a very heavy "Dakotas" conference, which I'm not sure appeals to Air Force.

(3) Missouri Valley Conference --- A good conference, but AFA would be a big outlier.   It is more of a midwest / great lakes conference

(4) WAC.   Some very good schools.   But some schools that aren't too great.   Chicago State needs to be kicked out.  Not sure if AFA wants to play against UVU and Dixie State when it previously shared a Conference with BYU, Utah and USU.

AAC Commissioner just completed a radio interview posted on AAC board.  Aresco said the AAC was not seeking schools but would evaluate and entertain any request submitted by a school to join AAC.  Aresco stated in that very recent radio interview that no school in the west has applied to AAC.  The B12 Grant of RIghts expires 2024/2025.  The AAC will not do an AAC Grant of RIghts because some AAC schools like UCF want to be invited to B12.  So I dont see a school like BYU or AFA applying to  AAC until AAC does a Grant of Rights.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

(1) WCC --- this would be by far their preferred destination.  But I don't think the WCC would be interested in expanding to 11 right now.   And Air Force doesn't improve basketball or any other sports.  

(2) Summit League -- They could partner with Denver.  The Summit League has schools with decent enough academics.   But it is a very heavy "Dakotas" conference, which I'm not sure appeals to Air Force.

#3 BIG SKY 

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

(4) Missouri Valley Conference --- A good conference, but AFA would be a big outlier.   It is more of a midwest / great lakes conference

(5) WAC.   Some very good schools.   But some schools that aren't too great.   Chicago State needs to be kicked out.  Not sure if AFA wants to play against UVU and Dixie State when it previously shared a Conference with BYU, Utah and USU.

FIFY

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I don't think money is an issue at AFA.  Exposure might be an issue as AAC would provide broader broadcast platforms, allowing AFA to get off CBSSN and onto the ESPN broadcast platforms.  AFA had only one game on an ESPN major platform (ESPN, ESPN2)  as AFA @Utah State was broadcast on ESPN2 but with a 10PM EST time.  Two AFA games were on Facebook and ESPNews.

The AFA football schedule and telecast times illustrates MWC's dilemma.  There are good start times with CBSSN but not so much money.  There is more money with ESPN but the start times are not good.

2018 AFA FOOTBALL SCHEDULE:

9/11, Stony Brook @AFA, 12 Noon MST, (2PM, EST) Facebook

9/29, Nevada @AFA, 2PM MST, (4PM, EST) CBSSN

10/6, Navy @AFA, 1:30PM, MST, (3:30 EST) CBSSN

10/27, Boise State @AFA 5PM, MST, (7PM, EST) CBSSN

11/10, New Mexico @AFA, 1:30PM, MST, (3:30PM, EST) CBSSN

11/22, Thursday, Colorado State @AFA, 1:30, MST, (3:30PM, EST) CBSSN

AWAY GAMES:

9/8, AFA @FAU, 12 Noon, EST, (10AM, MST), CBSSN

9/22, AFA @Utah State, 8:15, MST (11:15, EST), ESPN2

10/12, Friday, AFA @SDSU, 6PM, MST (9PM, EST), CBSSN

10/19, Friday, AFA @UNLV, 8PM, MST, (10PM, EST), CBSSN

11/3, AFA @Army, 12 Noon, EST, (10AM, MST), CBSSN,

11/17, AFA @Wyoming, 2PM, MST (4PM, EST), ESPNews

3 hours ago, alum93 said:

The WAC has Chicago State.  The MWC has SJSU.  Same RPI/NET numbers.

This isn't a competition or RPI/NET issue.  This is about academic standing.  A private, for-profit and a public school struggling to keep its doors open likely won't appeal to many.  Let alone a service academy.

Boise State has an ESPN TV contract for its home games which means more money than CBSSN.  However, four of six BSU home games start at 8:15PM MST in order to fall within ESPN time slots.  That puts BSU games ending close to midnight....and in the cold and possibly snow in late season. Four games drew 470K or less.

2018 BOISE STATE HOME FOOTBALL GAMES:

9/8, UConn @BSU, 8:15PM MST, (10:15PM, EST) ESPN2, ESPNU, 444K

10/6, SDSU @BSU, 1:30PM, MST, (3:30 EST), ESPNU, 269K

10/19, Friday, CSU @BSU, 7:00PM, MST, (9PM, EST), ESPN2, 420K

11/3, BYU @BSU, 8:15PM, (10:15PM, EST), ESPN2, 470K

11/9, Friday, FSU @BSU, 8:15PM, MST, (10:15PM, EST), ESPN2, 819K

11/24, Utah State @BSU, 8:15PM, (10:15PM, EST), ESPN, 1.078M

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

This isn't a competition or RPI/NET issue.  This is about academic standing.  A private, for-profit and a public school struggling to keep its doors open likely won't appeal to many.  Let alone a service academy.

Let's just say GCU and Liberty aren't going to have problems with money or scheduling anytime in the near future.  As far as Chicago State, no matter how many times it is brought up, they are to the WAC what SJSU is to the MWC.  The implication in threads is they are indicative of quality of play somehow, when they are anything but.  Those schools are outliers athletically.  No one would ever discuss the MWC by starting out asking about SJSU's status.  That was my point.

If you want to discuss academics, unless you are talking schools with huge endowments in the P12,  no one out west has anything to brag about.  There are no other prestigious conferences.  And the discussion was AF and where sports go, so i am referring to sports, but we can include academics as well.  Fresno, Boise, Wyoming, USU,  is there any difference with an UVU, NMSU, Seattle in the classroom?  Or the Big West?  Kids can go to all these schools, get an engineering degree for example, and go have a great life.  No one will confuse their resume with a Harvard or ND.  And i went to NMSU and have worked with kids my whole career from the "best" schools in the country.  Engineering is engineering, and that goes for other degrees as well.  The MWC is the only FBS option for AF out west.  Good for AF and good for the MWC.  And they have great long term rivalries.  

9 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

AFA doesn't have to join the AAC to play Navy, that's already a given.  It's the other benefits or costs of the switch.  I don't see how their football scheduling improves.  One can argue pretty strongly that it doesn't, particularly having to give up some long-standing rivalries.  Their OOCs play lessor competition, perhaps going to a conference that's fairly unstable.  I'd put a wager on them staying if anyone's interested.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

My answer to the title of the OG is, IMO, no.  It has already been said that AFA doesn't have to worry about the money.  I don't think they worry about the exposure for football either.  I would love to see the whole interview that prompted Calhoun to mention about the scheduling if another league team was a Federal school.  Also, what does AFA do with their tv money and conference payouts?  Does it go into a general fund that they can use for what they want or does it go back to the federal govt.?

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

AFA doesn't have to join the AAC to play Navy, that's already a given.  It's the other benefits or costs of the switch.  I don't see how their football scheduling improves.  One can argue pretty strongly that it doesn't, particularly having to give up some long-standing rivalries.  Their OOCs play lessor competition, perhaps going to a conference that's fairly unstable.  I'd put a wager on them staying if anyone's interested.

You're right, they don't have to join the AAC to play Navy.  Having Navy as a conference game though frees up another OOC.  That additioal OOC can be use to play CSU, WYO or another P5 school.  In addition, having AF as a conference mate for Navy will free up a OOC for Navy.  There are many benefits to getting an addition OOC game. 

42 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

You're right, they don't have to join the AAC to play Navy.  Having Navy as a conference game though frees up another OOC.  That additioal OOC can be use to play CSU, WYO or another P5 school.  In addition, having AF as a conference mate for Navy will free up a OOC for Navy.  There are many benefits to getting an addition OOC game. 

What would be the strategy for AF if they had a freed up OOC?  One FCS game for sure.  Maybe a CSU or WYO game each year.  Then more P5s?  They would still have Army I guess too.  

So, theoretically, instead of playing San Jose State,they would play Tulsa.

Not sure I see the allure.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

37 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

What would be the strategy for AF if they had a freed up OOC?  One FCS game for sure.  Maybe a CSU or WYO game each year.  Then more P5s?  They would still have Army I guess too.  

Yep. Currently they only get 1 OOC game to schedule with a P5 as they schedule a FCS to start each year.  So with the AAC move they can have 1 FCS, Army, P5, P5(or FBS).   The strategy would to be to schedule that additional game somewhere they would like to recruit for the academy.