Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

Update On Spartan Stadium Project

Kudos Sparta. Today was a big day. On the commute home, I saw a mom and daughter driving a nifty little Ford fiesta. It had BOTH a Go Spartans! license plate holder and a spartan helmet window decal. A proud fan!  No doubt they were motivated by the recent investment in spartan stadium. I havent seen a loud and proud spartan fan on the roads in a year or so. Things are trending up for you guys!!

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

I guess the question is what looks worse on tv?

1. Rickety, warped bleachers and wooden steps with little to no fans sitting in them. 

or

2. Dirt and/or grass slope with little to no fans sitting on it. 

43 minutes ago, Super six said:

Seating only on one side this season?

26 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Maybe the next four seasons is how I read it. Minimum of 2 seasons.

Hope I am wrong. 

Who cares? It's not like they need the seats.

13 minutes ago, Cincy said:

I guess the question is what looks worse on tv?

1. Rickety, warped bleachers and wooden steps with little to no fans sitting in them. 

or

2. Dirt and/or grass slope with little to no fans sitting on it. 

Why does it matter?

What makes you think any games will be televised from SJ?

And will anyone be watching anyway?

21 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why does it matter?

Their games do get television because I believe it’s contractual. But, your last question has some validity. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 minute ago, Fowl said:

What will the seating capacity be now?

Still way more than they need. What kind of idiot is still a fan of a team that has won 3 games in the last two years and just destroyed half their stadium without the money to rebuild? 

6 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Still way more then they need. What kind of idiot is still a fan of a team that has won 3 games in the last two years and just destroyed half their stadium without the money to rebuild? 

I know but if it is <15,000 then they will run afoul of the NCAA rule for maintaining FBS status.  From the looks of it I would guess they'll be around 18,000.

This is likely the beginning of the end for them.  It's apparent they don't have the funding and they are hoping people step up and donate.

Hell SDSU doesn't even own the land for our stadium yet and we've already contracted with architects, engineers, and a general contractor.  SJSU hasn't even done that yet. 

39 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why does it matter?

I am pretty sure 11/2/19 will be televised and will have plenty of people watching. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

8 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I know but if it is <15,000 then they will run afoul of the NCAA rule for maintaining FBS status.  From the looks of it I would guess they'll be around 18,000.

This is likely the beginning of the end for them.  It's apparent they don't have the funding and they are hoping people step up and donate.

Hell SDSU doesn't even own the land for our stadium yet and we've already contracted with architects, engineers, and a general contractor.  SJSU hasn't even done that yet. 

The NCAA has no spine. They’ve been under the attendance threshold for years without penalty. The capacity threshold is just for show....Idaho finally stepped down, but that was voluntarily. 

45 minutes ago, renoskier said:

TV broadcasts from Spartan Stadium this year include Fresno State on an ESPN network, and Boise State and New Mexico on CBSSN.

All fans on the same side, if the cameras point that direction, will allow easy comparisons of each team's support vs SJSU.

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

I am pretty sure 11/2/19 will be televised and will have plenty of people watching. 

What's "plenty"? And will it be anyone outside of Boise fans, who already know about SJSU's attendance? Doubtful.

I know I won't be watching because it's on CBS and I don't pay extra for their crummy streaming service.

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

@Mike Morgan said 9,500 seats are being torn down.

CEFCU official capacity is listed as 30,456.

So it will be somewhere around 20 950 for the next couple of seasons.

The last time they had that many fans attend a game was the 2013 win against Fresno State (23,574).  Hopefully they have all the cameras pointed west and with 10-15k fans they usually get, it may look relatively full on TV.

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

@Mike Morgan said 9,500 seats are being torn down.

CEFCU official capacity is listed as 30,456.

So it will be somewhere around 20 950 for the next couple of seasons.

The last time they had that many fans attend a game was the 2013 win against Fresno State (23,574).  Hopefully they have all the cameras pointed west and with 10-15k fans they usually REPORT, it may look relatively full on TV.

FIFY. Real numbers are in the 7-9k

Also, the 2013 crowd was mostly Fresno fans  

18 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

FIFY. Real numbers are in the 7-9k

Also, the 2013 crowd was mostly Fresno fans  

Sure, but they do have SDSU, Fresno, and Boise all at home this year.  You would think that helps boost attendance somewhat?

11 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Sure, but they do have SDSU, Fresno, and Boise all at home this year.  You would think that helps boost attendance somewhat?

I guess, but only because of attending fans. Opponent doesn’t matter to their fans. They had a ranked opponent 2 years ago to open the season and attendance was in the 9k range. It’s really just an old fan base that remember the late 80’s/early 90’s who are still around. 

9 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I don't think the opponent matters to their fans and how many SDSU fans make that trip?  It isn't really that close to drive, especially with traffic.  Do they spend the money to fly?  For that opponent?  Maybe to spend a few days in San Fran.  Do a lot of Boise fans make that trip?  That can't be too good of a trip for them either for a crappy opponent.  

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Maybe to spend a few days in San Fran.  Do a lot of Boise fans make that trip?  

For this reason I think a few Boise fans go.  I've thought about it given the cheap direct flights to the Bay Area. Plus who doesn't like to see their team win?

I just assumed there are quite a few SDSU and Fresno folks who end up living relatively close given that there are 8-10 million people withing driving distance.

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't think the opponent matters to their fans and how many SDSU fans make that trip?  It isn't really that close to drive, especially with traffic.  Do they spend the money to fly?  For that opponent?  Maybe to spend a few days in San Fran.  Do a lot of Boise fans make that trip?  That can't be too good of a trip for them either for a crappy opponent.  

We've had 3-4k fans there before. No idea what we will travel this year. Might depend a bit on how we do before then. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok