Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

NCAA in Las Vegas

Fixed

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

12 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I hope they don't have the basketball finals in that building.  Basketball should be played in a smaller venue.  

I can see a sweet 16 and Elite 8 or better playing in there but still...too big to actually enjoy it unless your rich af!

20 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I hope they don't have the basketball finals in that building.  Basketball should be played in a smaller venue.  

No kidding. I went to the FF in Minneapolis, I was six rows from the top. Couldn’t see crap. I had to watch the scoreboard. 

2 hours ago, brillio said:

No kidding. I went to the FF in Minneapolis, I was six rows from the top. Couldn’t see crap. I had to watch the scoreboard. 

This is pretty much how every FF has been hosted. They don't care about spectator sight lines.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

40 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

This is pretty much how every FF has been hosted. They don't care about spectator sight lines.

Yeah, and tbh, when I went to the FF in Phoenix a couple of years ago, I was just happy to be there. Yes, you’re going to see it better on tv, but it was a blast being there. 

Sidenote..my son and I were sitting kind of between a guy from Gonzaga and a guy from UNC that just about came to blows. My son had a big grin, just watching the show. 

I don't like the large venues at all. I've been to a St. Louis and Indianapolis and even the good seats are bad. Football stadiums have way different site lines. I prefer Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in smaller venues but I agree that it's always fun to be there. 

I've been lucky enough to watch the 2019 Football National Championship game, the Sweet 16 games in DC and a few games of the College World Series this year. 

7 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I think the ship has sailed on Final Fours in actual arenas.

NCAA thinking about playing a FF in the new Vegas stadium:

rich money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Honestly wish they would move the Final 4 games back to campus sites, like The Pit, the Huntsman Center, the T&M, the Phil Knight palace up in Eugene or the O-Dome or a litany of other possibilities, or even NBA (or NBA-ish) Arenas like T-Mobile Arena, the United Center, the LA Forum, Madison Square Garden, or even the KC Sprint Center or the new Chase Center in SF.  While the idea is almost certainly a pipe dream given the financial realities of college basketball and corporate sponsorships in this current era, the football stadiums hosting them almost exclusively these days are just miserably ill-suited for the purpose. 

Seems like it’s more for football side of things with NCAA staff on hand and the basketball committee is tagging along being in town exploring T-Mobile or making a free vacation out of this since the Final Four won’t be in Vegas until 2026-2027, at the earliest. Other years already have sites. 

The only thing I can think of is that the committee pulls the Indianapolis site in 2021 in favor for Vegas. I’m assuming there’s contracts involved so I don’t think we’ll see a final four anytime soon. 

33 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Seems like it’s more for football side of things with NCAA staff on hand and the basketball committee is tagging along being in town exploring T-Mobile or making a free vacation out of this since the Final Four won’t be in Vegas until 2026-2027, at the earliest. Other years already have sites. 

The only thing I can think of is that the committee pulls the Indianapolis site in 2021 in favor for Vegas. I’m assuming there’s contracts involved so I don’t think we’ll see a final four anytime soon. 

it's BECAUSE they set these things up so far in advance that they are here now. Like you said, the years up until 2027 are already set. They would have considered Vegas for the two years prior, but when they awarded those sites construction had either not begun yet, or was barely underway, and from what I understand, they can't award a FF to a stadium that doesn't yet exist. Apparently it is far enough along that they now believe it will actually happen, lol.

LV will almost assuredly get one of the next available FFs.  Getting future FFs after that will be trickier.  There's a fairly regular rotation of sites these days, and the list of prospective sites has gotten longer.  The one town you can be fairly sure will get a regular slot is....Indianapolis.  It's centrally located, the locals are obviously big time into basketball, the building design works about as well as could be hoped for basketball, and then there's the fact that NCAA HQ is 1 mile from Lucas Oil Stadium.  In the next 7 years, they've got 2 FFs  and a Regional.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

54 minutes ago, RSF said:

LV will almost assuredly get one of the next available FFs.  Getting future FFs after that will be trickier.  There's a fairly regular rotation of sites these days, and the list of prospective sites has gotten longer.  The one town you can be fairly sure will get a regular slot is....Indianapolis.  It's centrally located, the locals are obviously big time into basketball, the building design works about as well as could be hoped for basketball, and then there's the fact that NCAA HQ is 1 mile from Lucas Oil Stadium.  In the next 7 years, they've got 2 FFs  and a Regional.

Vegas will be on the short list, because, it's Vegas.

48 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Vegas will be on the short list, because, it's Vegas.

And its the NCAA.  No matter how money grubbing and corrupt they may be, they still have a facade to maintain.  Which is why places like Indianapolis and San Antonio show up as much or more than New Orleans and Atlanta.  And why the earlier rounds have never been in Vegas.  They'll be on the list, but its not short.  They make a boatload of cash no matter where they go.  

Oh...and the new stadium in LA has a roof too.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

it's BECAUSE they set these things up so far in advance that they are here now. Like you said, the years up until 2027 are already set. They would have considered Vegas for the two years prior, but when they awarded those sites construction had either not begun yet, or was barely underway, and from what I understand, they can't award a FF to a stadium that doesn't yet exist. Apparently it is far enough along that they now believe it will actually happen, lol.

And at the time all of the future sites were announced, I believe the NCAA still had its rule in place prohibiting championship events in states with legalized sports betting.