Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Evangelicals and the Trump Presidency

20 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

LMAO.

"barack HUSSEIN obama"

Look, I was never a fan of Skippy, but this whole talking point that he was some sort of Muslim Manchurian Candidate was so...out there. He was the same as any other neo-liberal puppet, nothing more, nothing less. Are you also suggesting that Obummer was named after Saddam, who didn't take power until the late 60s/early 70s (depending on how you look at it), when Obummer was born in 1961? laff laff laff

Bruin 70 - "LINCOLN WAS NAMED AFTER THE CAPITAL OF NEBRASKA WHICH WENT FOR THE UNION, THAT EXPLAINS HIS ABOLITIONIST STANCE!!!!"

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Bruin 70 - "LINCOLN WAS NAMED AFTER THE CAPITAL OF NEBRASKA WHICH WENT FOR THE UNION, THAT EXPLAINS HIS ABOLITIONIST STANCE!!!!"

canadian agree GIF by CBC

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

23 hours ago, mugtang said:

These are probably the some stupidest talking points.  There’s a lot to dislike about Obama, this isn’t it.  The birth certificate wasn’t a fake, his middle name being Hussein has no bearing on anything.  You want to criticize his drone strike policy, never ending wars, etc etc I’d support that. But this is just blatant hatred because he was black aka racism.   :facepalm:

I disagree. Forget all the others and your racism call. He was the worst president in American History.

1 minute ago, Bruin 70 said:

I disagree. Forget all the others and your racism call. He was the worst president in American History.

He’s definitely not the best president but he’s certainly not the worst president either.  That honor belongs to James Buchanan or if you want you can have Hoover be the worst president ever.  Obama was a mediocre President. You just think he’s the worst because he’s the most recent. But he’s certainly not the worst when you look at history.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

He’s definitely not the best president but he’s certainly not the worst president either.  That honor belongs to James Buchanan or if you want you can have Hoover be the worst president ever.  Obama was a mediocre President. You just think he’s the worst because he’s the most recent. But he’s certainly not the worst when you look at history.  

You got me there! Hoover was far worse.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, bluerules009 said:

It is my observation over the years that those who are very religious, that claim to be the most pious.

Can use their religion to justify theft, immorality, degradation of the environment, racism or about anything they turn their mind to.

They have destroyed the republican party, they have no morals and in that they and Trump are simpatico, they both will do anything for power.

Barry Goldwater raised concerns about the GOP embracing the evangelicals.............not long after Ronald Reagan fully embraced the religious right & Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson & Ralph Reed's Moral Majority had full influence over the GOP 

21 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

One of the most bizarre things in this whole thing is ultra religious support for Trump.. 

It's all about power. That's been the main basis for religion for hundreds of years. Crusades? Power trip and expanding the empire. Roman Empire? Did a lot of stuff in the name of Christianity that wasn't very Christian. Borgias? Raped, tortured, and bribed their way to the Papacy. Mega-churches are just another example of it. The whole thing is despicable. Anyone that has read the Bible can see that what these organizations are doing in the name of Christianity is the antithesis of what the religion stands for. It's disgusting.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

21 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

One of the most bizarre things in this whole thing is ultra religious support for Trump.. 

It's not bizarre at all. Powerful religious leaders and institutions do things that betray their faith-based principles all the time. 

I would argue that power and faith-based principles are inherently at odds. The Bible seems pretty consistent on that one. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:17 PM, IanforHeisman said:

16 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's not bizarre at all. Powerful religious leaders and institutions do things that betray their faith-based principles all the time. 

I would argue that power and faith-based principles are inherently at odds. The Bible seems pretty consistent on that one. 

As a Christian, I understand support for Trump, but I am surprised by the fervent support for Trump.  It seems like TDS on the other side.  There are things about Trump I can't stand, and in my opinion, his faux Christianity is as phony as Two Corinthians.  It is lunacy.  If interested, my reasons for supporting Trump are in this thread:

110926run_defense710.jpg

18 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Jesus was pretty consistent with his "Stick it to the Man when you can but don't worry about it too much cause the Man isn't getting in to heaven anyway lol, anyway, be nice to each other especially people who can't pay you back" message. Reconciling that with "I WANNA BE THE MAN AND I HAVE FAITH THAT GOD WANTS ME TO BE THE MAN TOO" messaging that dominionists and many evangelicals have decided is Christianity seems to take a lot of twisting and willful ignorance.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:17 PM, IanforHeisman said:

The Evangelicals don't support Trump because they think he is some sort of model Christian.  They support him because they think (know?) he is not their enemy and has demonstrated it with his political actions.  I don't know that they should trust him like they do, but I understand why they whole heartedly support him over any Democrat nominee.

Post image

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

7 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Post image

Trump loves Israel though. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.