Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HawaiiMongoose

Hawaii governor approves $350 million funding for Aloha Stadium replacement

13 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

All of those schools have ambitions to get into a P5 at some point as well I think.  I think they view a new stadium as showing they have the necessary commitment to compete.  

I don't think Nevada has those same ambitions.  That isn't a slight either.  Wyoming doesn't either.  

I think all programs sans Air Force want to go P5. Those ones you mentioned have a better shot than others though. I like being in a conference with Wyo and hope it’s always so

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

All of those schools have ambitions to get into a P5 at some point as well I think.  I think they view a new stadium as showing they have the necessary commitment to compete.  

I don't think Nevada has those same ambitions.  That isn't a slight either.  Wyoming doesn't either.  

Probably but, except for Hawaii, they also have much larger population bases to draw from.

Within a 100 mile radius:

SDSU 11 million

Fort Collins 4.2 million

Las Vagas 2.6 million

Reno 1.5 million

Honolulu 1 million

31 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I think all programs sans Air Force want to go P5. Those ones you mentioned have a better shot than others though. I like being in a conference with Wyo and hope it’s always so

While they all want to go P5, very few are actually doing anything about it because some schools realize that they don't have the money, fans, or infrastructure to go P5. 

I really enjoy USU in conference as well and I hope the MW stays in its current iteration for as long as possible.  My hope is that schools can do more for football and basketball, Wyoming especially, to raise the conference profile.  

Bridger's Battle is great in my opinion and I hope it really develops. 

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

IMO, Mackay is fine. Would a new stadium bring 30,000 average to a game? No 

Hell, they made some really nice improvements a few years ago and attendance has continued to slide.

It was less a commentary on Mackay Stadium adequacy than it is on Marc Johnson’s distinct lack of commitment to athletics.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

21 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

It was less a commentary on Mackay Stadium adequacy than it is on Marc Johnson’s distinct lack of commitment to athletics.

Or maybe it's his complete commitment to the academic mission of the university. You know, the primary purpose of a university?

Do you think any money should be diverted from academics to athletics? Hell, I don't believe so and I'm not even a Nevada alum, just a fan.

13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Or maybe it's his complete commitment to the academic mission of the university. You know, the primary purpose of a university?

Do you think any money should be diverted from academics to athletics? Hell, I don't believe so and I'm not even a Nevada alum, just a fan.

It is a very serious question for a lot of universities that will need to be answered soon.  As state funding continues to get cut in most states, do they keep increasing fees and tuition on the academic side as well as add fees for athletics?  

What happens if there is student loan reform and that has an impact on enrollment?

What if there is another major recession and a university like Wyoming relies on state funding?

Will future generations support college athletics at current levels?  Do future generations have the disposable income of the current generations who support?

The truth is that athletic and athletic facilities costs are going to be a burden on a lot of schools as they keep trying to compete at the D1 level.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

9 hours ago, renoskier said:

It is a process that, to the best of my knowledge, is quite common at the D-1 level.  Yes, I do.  Refusing to help the athletics side is blind to the effect of publicity brought by athletic excellence and very short-sighted.  Hell, ADs are even learning to capitalize on APR scores.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

12 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Building 35k seat stadiums doesn’t scream p5. 

Expandable to 42K. When is Boise St going to get a real stadium instead of that pixie stick structure.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

9 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Well I guess the Big Sky is in your future.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Anyone whose school has a track around their football field (whether overt or not, cough cough Boise) has zero business talking crap to Hawaii.

This is going to be a very nice stadium and it’s great to see Hawaii stepping up for the university.

People talking mean shit about our new stadium. But tbh, I am just glad its finally happening! This could have continued to be put on the back burner but it's now going to get done. That is progress! And I like it! I hate Ige the Governor but he did the right thing!

https://nased.hawaii.gov/

New Stadium plan now has a website. Will be officially known as the New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District or "NASED" and the site has even more details

Big takeaways from it for me they seem solid on the 35k seat stadium (expandable if needed in the future), 3 year construction time, construction plans to begin in early 2021 with completion prior to 2023 season. But being in Hawai'i, schedules are never followed...

Glad they also put all the documents that have been released for this project in one place https://nased.hawaii.gov/further-information/project-documents/

On 7/10/2019 at 8:36 AM, boisewitha-s said:

SDSU's new stadium capacity is only 35,00 with expandable capacity to 40,000.  Boise is 36,387 and Fresno is 40,727.  All of these would love to be in P5 so apparently that capacity is what MWC see as feasable.  If any were lucky enough to get into the p5, they would then have the ability(moneywise) to expand or rebuild!  

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

On 7/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, bornsilverandblue said:

It is a process that, to the best of my knowledge, is quite common at the D-1 level.  Yes, I do.  Refusing to help the athletics side is blind to the effect of publicity brought by athletic excellence and very short-sighted.  Hell, ADs are even learning to capitalize on APR scores.

It’s not true that Nevada sports do not get help financially from the university. The AD just doesn’t get as much as you’d like it to.

24 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s not true that Nevada sports do not get help financially from the university. The AD just doesn’t get as much as you’d like it to.

Lowest institutional support in the MW. I don't think anyone wants us to crazy with spending (I appreciate how efficiently we run, and how we get good coaches and results with a low budget), but its not unreasonable to want to be comparable to our peers.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:36 AM, boisewitha-s said:

Wazzu stadium only holds 33,000

Wake Forest 32,000

Vanderbilt 40,000

Baylor 45,000 which is a 5,000 seat reduction from the previous stadium.

FB is obvioitsly not a priority for the first three.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor