Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

The Option Offense

If you’ve seen the offense for Liberty football, that’s what we’ll be running this year...

"I reached out to Joe Dailey because of the impression that Liberty's offense and quarterback made on me," said Davie.  "That was the starting point.  Joe has an unbelievable background having played the position, and he has coached under some great coaches."

Bob Davie

https://golobos.com/news/2019/1/18/football-joe-dailey-named-offensive-coordinator.aspx

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

15 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Not sure if they still do but Rice used to run the option.

Yeah I remember they ran it during the WAC days but I don't think they run the option anymore...more like the spread.  

9 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

These days if a big talented team ran option football with real talent on the field they would destroy defenses.   The defenses have small linebackers, corners who don't like to tackle and especially the 3-4 defenses would get destroyed.  They don't have the meat up front and most coaches now days are clueless on how to defend them especially BSU coaches.

It would be a huge advantage.    You need the talent though and it would probably be hard to recruit to an option offense.  Kids now days don't want to play football they love the passball shit.

I think an NFL team should try a triple option offense.   More seriously than what Baltimore did last year.    You would have a talent advantage recruiting running QB's  and big blocking WR's as no one else wants them.  You could have a starter and 3 good backups pretty easy.   Pick up Kaepernick to start then draft backups in the 7th round that no one wants and save those first round picks for o-lineman.  Big athletic guys like him that can throw those 5 passes downfield a game would be all yours.   The best thing is the WR's you would want would be cheap.  Running Backs are a dime a dozen now and you can get great ones in lower rounds.    You need to get a top flight tight end or two.   Fullbacks are also cheap.   Your high draft picks could be saved for the most important guys on the field, the offensive and defensive lineman.   You might save half the budget a regular team spends on offense giving you a huge amount of the cap to spend on defensive guys.

Especially a cold weather team like Buffalo would be perfect.  Can you imagine these little 220 lb linebackers of today and 270 lb defensive ends focused on rushing the passer how they would get eaten alive.   You my as well go sit Von Miller and his kind on their asses on the sideline they would get hurt.

When EA Access comes out for the PS4 on July 24th and I have access to at least four Madden games, I'm definitely going to try having an option only offense beginning with Madden 25 (the 2013 game) and newer.  Going to be fun to try that stuff and maybe I'll try to do that online against other players.

As for the option, it seems like the service academies will keep that around for a long time and Georgia Southern fans revolted when the old head coach (now the CU DC) tried to do away with the option offense.  Coastal Carolina made the interim HC permanent and he ran the option at Charleston Southern.  I'm still studying the Sun Belt Conference and I suspect Appy State might run that stuff.  I'm going to follow the Sun Belt Conference quite a bit this upcoming season since I ditched cable and I am going all in with ESPN+.  The Big South with Keenesaw State and Charleston Southern would be another draw. 

I’ve always been more of a pass game fan (grew up watching the Air Wolf), but one of the smaller high schools in the area runs a version of the flexbone.  They have about a dozen plays total in their playbook, and they run each play so well that their offense is extremely tough to stop.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Yeah I remember they ran it during the WAC days but I don't think they run the option anymore...more like the spread. 

Right. Rice ran the triple option under Ken Hatfield, who ran it at AFA before that. It wasn't nearly as effective at Rice and IIRC, among the reasons was supposedly that Rice never had the advantage that AFA's does of having semi-HS where they can place kids for a year before their actual college eligibility begins. (If AFA no longer has that system somebody please so inform me.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Right. Rice ran the triple option under Ken Hatfield, who ran it at AFA before that. It wasn't nearly as effective at Rice and IIRC, among the reasons was supposedly that Rice never had the advantage that AFA's does of having semi-HS where they can place kids for a year before their actual college eligibility begins. (If AFA no longer has that system somebody please so inform me.)

That didn't prevent Kennesaw State from making the FCS playoffs in just their third year of existence using the flexbone.  Maybe there are more high schools in the southeast that run the flexbone given the number of FCS and D2 teams from that region running the flexbone so it isn't an issue.  But Rice from Texas of all places couldn't do it?  Perhaps the limited pool of recruits they could tap into played a factor under Hatfield. 

Ya know, there's a reason why the Oklahoma's of the world, and no one in the NFL, no longer run the option.

I'm no expert but I believe it's because of the exceptional speed and athletic ability found on the defensive side of the ball today.

The last time I saw Oklahoma play at Folsom Field, Colorado hung 42 points on em. Unfortunately, the Sooner's option attack hung 82 on the Buffs.:facepalm:

21 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Ya know, there's a reason why the Oklahoma's of the world, and no one in the NFL, no longer run the option.

I'm no expert but I believe it's because of the exceptional speed and athletic ability found on the defensive side of the ball today.

The last time I saw Oklahoma play at Folsom Field, Colorado hung 42 points on em. Unfortunately, the Sooner's option attack hung 82 on the Buffs.:facepalm:

Not only big and fast DEs/OLBs got the better of the option, everyone was pretty much running it in the waning days of the old Big 8 and people didn't forget how to defend the edge even when Nebraska and Kansas State were the last Big 12 teams to run that in the early 2000s.

And the funny thing is I was at a CU-OU game where the Buffs scored 45 points while OU scored with 12 seconds left in the game to avoid getting shut out.  That 1994 team would have won it all if it wasn't for arguably the greatest option QB in Tommie Frazier who had his best game ever at CU that year.  Nebraska did have Eric Crouch and other flashy QBs but that Frazier was a stone cold executioner of the triple option.

It seems like the Sun Belt Conference, Southern Conference (FCS) and Big South (FCS) have multiple teams that runs some variation of the option.  And that's not forgetting the MWC with AFA & UNM.  Pac-12 was more fun with Rich Rod at Arizona & Chip Kelly at Oregon.

I'm real curious to see what CU's new offense has in store...maybe some RPO...going to have lots of pistol formations.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I'm not so sure. The wishbone has the ability to freeze that speed you speak of....and you don't think guys on the d side back then didn't have speed. Linebackers corners and safetys all got frozen in their tracks, not knowing who of 4 possible people were carrying the ball. Oh, not to mention the passing that opened up when they all came down hill trying to stop the bone.

Over commitment would still be same today.

32 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

Not only big and fast DEs/OLBs got the better of the option, everyone was pretty much running it in the waning days of the old Big 8 and people didn't forget how to defend the edge even when Nebraska and Kansas State were the last Big 12 teams to run that in the early 2000s.

And the funny thing is I was at a CU-OU game where the Buffs scored 45 points while OU scored with 12 seconds left in the game to avoid getting shut out.  That 1994 team would have won it all if it wasn't for arguably the greatest option QB in Tommie Frazier who had his best game ever at CU that year.  Nebraska did have Eric Crouch and other flashy QBs but that Frazier was a stone cold executioner of the triple option.

It seems like the Sun Belt Conference, Southern Conference (FCS) and Big South (FCS) have multiple teams that runs some variation of the option.  And that's not forgetting the MWC with AFA & UNM.  Pac-12 was more fun with Rich Rod at Arizona & Chip Kelly at Oregon.

I'm real curious to see what CU's new offense has in store...maybe some RPO...going to have lots of pistol formations.

The smaller FBS schools and the FCS can still be somewhat successful running the option because schools at that level don't have elite athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

3 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I'm not so sure. The wishbone has the ability to freeze that speed you speak of....and you don't think guys on the d side back then didn't have speed. Linebackers corners and safetys all got frozen in their tracks, not knowing who of 4 possible people were carrying the ball. Oh, not to mention the passing that opened up when they all came down hill trying to stop the bone.

Over commitment would still be same today.

Then why do you think the Oklahoma's and Nebraska's gave it up?

It's not because they were winning national championships with it.

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The smaller FBS schools and the FCS can still be somewhat successful running the option because schools at that level don't have elite athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

Then why do you think the Oklahoma's and Nebraska's gave it up?

It's not because they were winning national championships with it.

I think they gave it up because of optics. 

The passing game is much more fan friendly.  

The days of 4 yards in a cloud of dust were honestly  not as exciting to younger fans. 

Edit. And also things change in sports, new ideas ,new schemes. It's part of the evolution to keep things fresh or new. But, going back to something now that it isn't used could be a revolution in itself.

3 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I think they gave it up because of optics. 

The passing game is much more fan friendly.  

The days of 4 yards in a cloud of dust were honestly  not as exciting to younger fans. 

Edit. And also things change in sports, new ideas ,new schemes. It's part of the evolution to keep things fresh or new. But, going back to something now that it isn't used could be a revolution in itself.

Bullshit. National Championships trump "optics" all day long.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Bullshit. National Championships trump "optics" all day 

Dude, Switzer himself during his last run at Oklahoma brought in Troy Aikman to try a more pass orientated offense.  That's where the game was heading. Troy broke his ankle and Jamelle Holliway took over and Switzer went back to the wishbone and won the national championship.

It was luck and fate.  The wishbone had been run for so long that , while still obviously successful that year,  the long term wasn't .

It was a great offensive system, that had to be shuttered after so much time. It's hard to have a stable of fullbacks and running backs like they did. Wide receivers ( for the most part) were not deep on the roster. Then scholarship limitations played a role. 

But I still think it would work against teams now because the defense coordinators have no experience defending it.

6 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Dude, Switzer himself during his last run at Oklahoma brought in Troy Aikman to try a more pass orientated offense.  That's where the game was heading. Troy broke his ankle and Jamelle Holliway took over and Switzer went back to the wishbone and won the national championship.

It was luck and fate.  The wishbone had been run for so long that , while still obviously successful that year,  the long term wasn't .

It was a great offensive system, that had to be shuttered after so much time. It's hard to have a stable of fullbacks and running backs like they did. Wide receivers ( for the most part) were not deep on the roster. Then scholarship limitations played a role. 

But I still think it would work against teams now because the defense coordinators have no experience defending it.

Dude, if it was still working at the highest level, they would have continued.

Defensive coordinators would break out the film have their defenses up to speed on stopping the option in no time.

12 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I

Not exactly.  Switzer recruited Aikman because he was a local kid and didnt want him going somewhere else.  A promise to change the offense was an enticement to get Aikman there, not a nod to the future.  And it never happened - Aikman rode the bench as a freshman,  and in 4 1/2 games as a sophomore he threw a grand total of 47 times, while he ran 49 times.

It was Gary Gibbs that finally ditched the wishbone at OU after Switzer got run off several years later.  And with it began OU's decade wandering the desert, until Bob Stoops was hired.  All OU really has ever done is follow the trend in Texas HS football, OU's recruiting base.  The wishbone was invented in Fort Worth, and by the mid 90s the spread, which has its roots in a Fort Worth HS as well (although it started as a run oriented offense), was all over the HS scene in its more pass happy version(s). 

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

Not just speed, but penetration is much better today. Miami killed OU and NU with guys who were both big and fast on the defense. Today's defenses are full of those guys. IMO at the NFL level there just wouldn't be time for an option play to develop. 

Now if we went back to iron man football, that's a different story

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

16 hours ago, RSF said:

Not exactly.  Switzer recruited Aikman because he was a local kid and didnt want him going somewhere else.  A promise to change the offense was an enticement to get Aikman there, not a nod to the future.  And it never happened - Aikman rode the bench as a freshman,  and in 4 1/2 games as a sophomore he threw a grand total of 47 times, while he ran 49 times.

It was Gary Gibbs that finally ditched the wishbone at OU after Switzer got run off several years later.  And with it began OU's decade wandering the desert, until Bob Stoops was hired.  All OU really has ever done is follow the trend in Texas HS football, OU's recruiting base.  The wishbone was invented in Fort Worth, and by the mid 90s the spread, which has its roots in a Fort Worth HS as well (although it started as a run oriented offense), was all over the HS scene in its more pass happy version(s). 

While I disagree on Aikman, I will agree that OU loves Texas recruits. It's a major thorn in the side for Texas fans. And that alone is glorious for a UT hater. Peace. 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:31 PM, renoskier said:

Why don’t we bring in a true subject matter expert on the option, a zealous fanatic of a team that still runs it?

@Bob — please provide some insights on this topic!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 7/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, renoskier said:

That option when out of the NFL pro game in the Late 30's.  Long before athletic training had the impact it has had on athletes today.  So that really can't be true.

Back then they would run 5-3 or 6-2 defenses to stop option attacks and it was effective.  Those defenses were ate alive by the modern T formation and play action pass.

Which has led us to 3-4 and 4-3 defenses with light fast players on the outside to rush the passer or cover receivers.     I am just saying those defenses would be very vulnerable to an option attack.   Just like BSU is when it tries to defend Air Force that way even though Air Force is a glorified high school team, when BSU is too stupid to run an appropriate defense their athletic ability doesn't matter.