Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SleepingGiantFan

Pelosi-AOC spat

57 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yes.

But you have to articulate what the "hurt" is.

It can't just be a generalized statement that someone is "singling out of newly elected women of color.", without providing any context, or saying how.

Otherwise, it is an unfair charge of calling someone a racist (which is highly offensive), which cannot be addressed or corrected.

The accusation is that Pelosi is slinging mud unprompted. AOC isn’t dumb enough to expect her policy ideas to gain any traction yet. She seems to clearly understand that her tiny coalition needs to grow exponentially in order for her goals to become more than nice-sounding ideas. Pelosi said “no” once, and that should have been the end of it.

From AOC’s perspective, however, Pelosi has continued to beat the “these kids today” drum for no reason. What it looks like is a white person in a position of authority telling four poc that they don’t belong. Over and over and over again. That activates historical, generational trauma for them. It’s hurtful and unnecessary.

On the other hand, Pelosi is clearly not a racist. She, like many of us white people, simply has a lot to learn about the weight our words and actions carry for the poc in our lives. She can’t fathom how it feels to be constantly marginalized, even by people who are supposed to be on your “side.” She’s not malicious, just ignorant.

This ignorance, btw, is a long-standing trait of many a well-meaning white person. For centuries now, we’ve been tsk-tsking the kind of overt racism practiced by backwards morons who wear boat shoes to weddings without recognizing that the problem is systemic. The privilege white people enjoy, that is rarely if ever extended to anyone else, is baked right into the system. Neither the kkk nor the proud boys nor trump and his swamp cabal invented it. And all white people, even those of us who decry (or deny) its existence, benefit handsomely (some more than others, obviously).

So yeah, when Pelosi or any otherwise well-meaning, well-intentioned, ally-ship-minded, white person, especially in a position of authority, goes out of their way to criticize poc, it has to feel, at the very least, a little paternalistic. 

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

The accusation is that Pelosi is slinging mud unprompted. AOC isn’t dumb enough to expect her policy ideas to gain any traction yet. She seems to clearly understand that her tiny coalition needs to grow exponentially in order for her goals to become more than nice-sounding ideas. Pelosi said “no” once, and that should have been the end of it.

From AOC’s perspective, however, Pelosi has continued to beat the “these kids today” drum for no reason. What it looks like is a white person in a position of authority telling four poc that they don’t belong. Over and over and over again. That activates historical, generational trauma for them. It’s hurtful and unnecessary.

On the other hand, Pelosi is clearly not a racist. She, like many of us white people, simply has a lot to learn about the weight our words and actions carry for the poc in our lives. She can’t fathom how it feels to be constantly marginalized, even by people who are supposed to be on your “side.” She’s not malicious, just ignorant.

This ignorance, btw, is a long-standing trait of many a well-meaning white person. For centuries now, we’ve been tsk-tsking the kind of overt racism practiced by backwards morons who wear boat shoes to weddings without recognizing that the problem is systemic. The privilege white people enjoy, that is rarely if ever extended to anyone else, is baked right into the system. Neither the kkk nor the proud boys nor trump and his swamp cabal invented it. And all white people, even those of us who decry (or deny) its existence, benefit handsomely (some more than others, obviously).

So yeah, when Pelosi or any otherwise well-meaning, well-intentioned, ally-ship-minded, white person, especially in a position of authority, goes out of their way to criticize poc, it has to feel, at the very least, a little paternalistic. 

Sing it for those in the back.  It cannot be overstated how much we take our privilege for granted.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

:rotflmfao: that last paragraph man 😭 

The whole thing read like a caricature. Hahahaha.  

I almost think I laughed harder than I did at the video of Orange getting attacked in a bagel shop yesterday while reading it. 

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The whole thing read like a caricature. Hahahaha.  

I almost think I laughed harder than I did at the video of Orange getting attacked in a bagel shop yesterday while reading it. 

Like, Pelosi has literally forgot more about what she’s done to advance the interests of minorities than it looks like AOC will ever be able to do. But because she was born with a certain dna her idiotic attack is somehow valid despite everything else.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

Like, Pelosi has literally forgot more about what she’s done to advance the interests of minorities thank it looks like AOC will ever be able to do. But because she was born with a certain dna her idiotic attack is somehow valid despite everything else.

Pretty much. And Pelosi, owing to her own DNA, can't respond, or she's a double-secret racist. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Pretty much. And Pelosi, owing to her own DNA, can't respond, or she's a double-secret racist. 

That’s capital d Diversity you hate monger!

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

That’s capital d Diversity you hate monger!

Clearly. I just hate "woke" women of color who propose outlandish, err, I mean, "visionary", ideas. And whatever they do, I can't criticize it, because I'm a triple-secret racist if I do, because I'm a male. And that's exponentially worse than Pelosi's criticism, which at least came from a woman. 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:43 PM, Rocket said:

correct translation sgf is a massive right wing tool who blindly follows the lying troll of the century. Nobody listens or trusts you and rightly so.

That's pretty phucking funny! @SleepingGiantsFan has been a moderate voice on this board long before your Commie ass graced us with your presence. Massive Right Wing Tool is not how any of the long time posters would describe him. You just keep proving your Clown College education was wasted.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, Bruin 70 said:

I my life time and I have been around for awhile, I have never seen such a moron get elected to any office. I admit there have been some. The truth is no one in the history of this country has lowered the intelligence bar as low as she has.

Let me guess. You were literally born yesterday.

From that communist rag the Houston Chronicle: https://www.chron.com/opinion/article/The-Trump-administration-has-been-a-personnel-14091297.php

Boom goes the dynamite.

40 minutes ago, sean327 said:

That's pretty phucking funny! @SleepingGiantsFan has been a moderate voice on this board long before your Commie ass graced us with your presence. Massive Right Wing Tool is not how any of the long time posters would describe him. You just keep proving your Clown College education was wasted.

Thank you, sean.

Boom goes the dynamite.

22 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Thank you, sean.

Welcome to the right wing sgf. Here’s your honorary privilege pass, a subscription to national review that hardly anyone reads anymore, and one coupon for the Reagan riding a velociraptor lower back tatoo. It’s good to have you!

3 hours ago, mysfit said:

I like Pelo sf I I think she's brilliant.

But I think she's missing the boat on this. There is no moderation or middle ground with racists, anti semites. Climate deniers etc.

It's time to start DOING the right thing and stop worrying about the elections. Things are so bad,vif we don't fix them right +++++ing now, future elections aren't going to mean much. 

Do you feel the same way about $22T of debt that’s growing like a weed?  That is going to significantly alter our quality of life as a nation much faster than any of the topics you list here.

v0icAvfW.jpg

21 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Do you feel the same way about $22T of debt that’s growing like a weed?  That is going to significantly alter our quality of life as a nation much faster than any of the topics you list here.

that debt is the result of tax cuts aimed at the rich by 2 different republican presidents.

For 8 years they whined about the debt and the trump came along and they were more than happy to explode the debt, enriching to 1% while screwing over everyone else. And you think tossing out the debt grenade is going to move me?

Quit smoking whatever you're smoking. End corporate welfare, end the economic gap. And deal with climate change otherwise nothing else is going to matter. Debt is the straw man the right likes to toss out there and then ignore when they have the chance to run it up.

There are much bigger problems right now than the debt. That boogey man don't fly no nore.

One of the Final Five..........

19 minutes ago, mysfit said:

There are much bigger problems right now than the debt. That boogey man don't fly no nore.

Like what?

Without a sound currency, we are Zimbabwe, and nothing else matters at that point.