Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

7.1 Earthquake hits my hometown of Ridgecrest CA moments ago.

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

I don't think so because when my dad heard him say that, he sensed some bullshit, so they went back and forth on it and apparently there's something going on they can't explain entirely and their pretty nervous about it. But he wouldn't say anymore. 

We do have some volcanoes in the area that have shown signs that they're active. Maybe a horizontal plate issue combined with a potential vertical eruption. Volcanic quakes are vertical and structures obviously handle those loads well such as most of the Mammoth quakes over the years. Ridgecrest is in a valley of fine soil which have a tendency to exaggerate the p waves. 

I'm pretty sure someone misunderstood something 

3 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

True, half of the U.S would be wiped out in hours depending on the explosion and ashfall. Not to mention a global volcanic winter 

The country would be covered in ash.  There would be massive famine, a collapse of the economy and likely the government.  You’d have the entire country descend into anarchy as people would flee south toward warmer areas to ride out the coming volcanic winter.  My guess is you’d see 70% of the global population die because of starvation, disease and the wars that would follow that eruption.  And right now there’s not much we could do to stop it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

16 minutes ago, retrofade said:

So you're saying that a USGS "scientist" said that a potentially extinction level earthquake was an "imminent" event? A subduction zone would be necessary, and there aren't any (known anyway) with the required length to generate the necessary energy to produce one. 

No, It means he asked me to share it with you because he loves trolling your stupid ass. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

The country would be covered in ash.  There would be massive famine, a collapse of the economy and likely the government.  You’d have the entire country descend into anarchy as people would flee south toward warmer areas to ride out the coming volcanic winter.  My guess is you’d see 70% of the global population die because of starvation, disease and the wars that would follow that eruption.  And right now there’s not much we could do to stop it. 

I got room for a couple of ya. Bring necessary ummm equipment. 

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

https://yellowstone.net/geology/yellowstone-caldera/

Each of Yellowstone’s explosive caldera-forming eruptions occurred when large volumes of “rhyolitic” magma accumulated at shallow levels in the Earth’s crust, as little as 3 miles (5 km) below the surface. This highly viscous (thick and sticky) magma, charged with dissolved gas, then moved upward, stressing the crust and generating earthquakes. As the magma neared the surface and pressure decreased, the expanding gas caused violent explosions. Eruptions of rhyolite have been responsible for forming many of the world’s calderas, such as those at Katmai National Park, Alaska, which formed in an eruption in 1912, and at Long Valley, California.

If another large caldera-forming eruption were to occur at Yellowstone, its effects would be worldwide. Thick ash deposits would bury vast areas of the United States, and injection of huge volumes of volcanic gases into the atmosphere could drastically affect global climate. Fortunately, the Yellowstone volcanic system shows no signs that it is headed toward such an eruption. The probability of a large caldera-forming eruption within the next few thousand years is exceedingly low.

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

https://yellowstone.net/geology/yellowstone-caldera/

Each of Yellowstone’s explosive caldera-forming eruptions occurred when large volumes of “rhyolitic” magma accumulated at shallow levels in the Earth’s crust, as little as 3 miles (5 km) below the surface. This highly viscous (thick and sticky) magma, charged with dissolved gas, then moved upward, stressing the crust and generating earthquakes. As the magma neared the surface and pressure decreased, the expanding gas caused violent explosions. Eruptions of rhyolite have been responsible for forming many of the world’s calderas, such as those at Katmai National Park, Alaska, which formed in an eruption in 1912, and at Long Valley, California.

If another large caldera-forming eruption were to occur at Yellowstone, its effects would be worldwide. Thick ash deposits would bury vast areas of the United States, and injection of huge volumes of volcanic gases into the atmosphere could drastically affect global climate. Fortunately, the Yellowstone volcanic system shows no signs that it is headed toward such an eruption. The probability of a large caldera-forming eruption within the next few thousand years is exceedingly low.

Thankfully it’s not likely to happen any time soon.  Even if the magma chamber started filling tomorrow we would still have decades before it exploded.  Volcanic Eruption prevention would become a leading industry in the United States. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

Thankfully it’s not likely to happen any time soon.  Even if the magma chamber started filling tomorrow we would still have decades before it exploded.  Volcanic Eruption prevention would become a leading industry in the United States. 

at my age of 59, i'm not really worried :banana: 

8 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, It means he asked me to share it with you because he loves trolling your stupid ass. 

Oh, we're back to the "HAHA JUST KIDDING I WAS ACTUALLY TROLLING" excuse for things?

Just now, mugtang said:

I'm curious if they could come up with a plan that would work. There's a huge risk with triggering an eruption when talk about volcano prevention. 

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Then we get road warrior!!

Image result for mad max gif

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

I'm pretty sure someone misunderstood something 

With science it's always funny how humans have a tendency to cling to what they were taught as holy. Yet, the more we learn, we more we learn how much we don't. If USGS were to find a knew phenomena ocurring that they've never seen, they certainly wouldn't share it to the public to avoid panic. 

kat.jpg

35 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I already said it would be like getting hit by a nuke ground zero. 

we're chillin, but with my luck it'll go off when I'm in Yellowstone next weekend 

image.png.07083aac7758393979a299dfb517b4f3.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

we're chillin, but with my luck it'll go off when I'm in Yellowstone next weekend 

image.png.07083aac7758393979a299dfb517b4f3.png

Cool !! Henderson NV is right at the line between 2nd & safe..........front range is toast 

8 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

I'm curious if they could come up with a plan that would work. There's a huge risk with triggering an eruption when talk about volcano prevention. 

I read somewhere that NASA is working on a plan to pump water into the magma chamber to slowly cool it down while generating a significant amount of electricity.  The problem is it would take thousands of years to cool it enough to prevent an eruption.