Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

7.1 Earthquake hits my hometown of Ridgecrest CA moments ago.

23 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The San Andreas and corresponding faults can’t generate enough energy to cause a 9.0+ earthquake in California.  You can only get those types of earthquakes with subduction faults.  In California the San Andreas is a strike-slip fault. It can still generate damaging earthquakes but it can’t generate a 9.0.  

It comes from a USGS scientist on site in Ridgecrest that my parents talked to. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Reading this makes me feel a little better. I don't know much about geology or how fault lines work and I've been watching way too many disaster movies. Lol

Earthquakes of great magnitude are as rare as was this past season seeing UNR ranked in the top 6 - It can happen, but the likelihood is extremely rare and probably a once in a millennium occurrence......... one of those things that your lucky or unlucky as may be the case to witness :unsure:

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I don't know if that that area can see earthquakes of that magnitude given its plates. 9s have a hundred times the energy release of a 7.

It came from a USGS scientist in the field in Ridgecrest. He's the one that said it. 

kat.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

A 11.0 would be caused by Yellowstone erupting. I don't see a 11.0 or 9.0 happening in California. 

Let's see, do you think I came up with that? My mom was talking to a USGS scientist in town and that what he told her. So fvck off, asshole. 

So you're saying that a USGS "scientist" said that a potentially extinction level earthquake was an "imminent" event? A subduction zone would be necessary, and there aren't any (known anyway) with the required length to generate the necessary energy to produce one. 

Maybe he misspoke or your parents misunderstood.  But a 9.0 on the CA part of the San Andreas isn’t possible.  11.0 earthquakes are only possible if the Earth is struck by a large astronomical object and that would be an extinction level event. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Earthquakes of great magnitude are as rare as was this past season seeing UNR ranked in the top 6 - It can happen, but the likelihood is extremely rare and probably a once in a millennium occurrence......... one of those things that your lucky or unlucky as may be the case to witness :unsure:

The last time the PNW had a 9.0 was in 1700. Hopefully we don't see one again any time soon 

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

The last time the PNW had a 9.0 was in 1700. Hopefully we don't see one again any time soon 

Subduction zone off the coast of Washington & Oregon - Tsunamis wiped out a lot back in that 1600-1700 EQ 

5 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I already said it would be like getting hit by a nuke ground zero. 

Tsar Bomba generated a 5.0 earthquake. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Ok so the good news is there won’t be a 9.0.  But there could still be more devastating earthquakes in the area.  Hopefully the worst has already happened and the area will recover quickly.  

10 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

A 11.0 would be caused by Yellowstone erupting. I don't see a 11.0 or 9.0 happening in California. 

I’m not even sure Yellowstone could cause that big of one.  But if it did erupt the earthquake generated would be the least of our worries. 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yeah I remember reading that. When the PNW earthquake happens we can expect a similar effect. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I’m not even sure Yellowstone could cause that big of one.  But if it did erupt the earthquake generated would be the least of our worries. 

True, half of the U.S would be wiped out in hours depending on the explosion and ashfall. Not to mention a global volcanic winter 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Maybe he misspoke or your parents misunderstood.  But a 9.0 on the CA part of the San Andreas isn’t possible.  11.0 earthquakes are only possible if the Earth is struck by a large astronomical object and that would be an extinction level event. 

I don't think so because when my dad heard him say that, he sensed some bullshit, so they went back and forth on it and apparently there's something going on they can't explain entirely and their pretty nervous about it. But he wouldn't say anymore. 

We do have some volcanoes in the area that have shown signs that they're active. Maybe a horizontal plate issue combined with a potential vertical eruption. Volcanic quakes are vertical and structures obviously handle those loads well such as most of the Mammoth quakes over the years. Ridgecrest is in a valley of fine soil which have a tendency to exaggerate the p waves. 

kat.jpg