Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Where does the MWCBoard fall on The Political Compass?

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

A significant 3rd party will never happen because the Dem/GOP will always move just enough to co-op issues/voters. Just look how much Trump has been able to co-op the GOP in only one election cycle.

Nah I think you are wrong when you look at the number of independent voters.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/political_commentary/commentary_by_rhodes_cook/registering_by_party_where_the_democrats_and_republicans_are_ahead

29 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Why do you think it hasn't happened yet?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

9 hours ago, pokebball said:

Theoretically the government is regulating corporations. The government is what holds the corporations in check.

No one holds the government in check. You can argue that we the people do however, I really don't see that.

No one? I mean,  not big money donors or attack ads or lobbyists?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

You can always vote Congressional representatives out of office, but it doesn’t seem to make much difference. 

America’s role in the world and its economy demand that not much changes. You can’t seriously roll back one in a different direction without the other. So by necessity most Congressman vote the same way on certain things. Being the keystone of the world is a good thing but not without its undesirable consequences.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

22 hours ago, renoskier said:

A significant 3rd party will never happen because the Dem/GOP will always move just enough to co-op issues/voters. Just look how much Trump has been able to co-op the GOP in only one election cycle.

Trump is an aberration. Right place, right time. In addition to the advantage of being the Republicans candidate running after 8 years of a Democratic administration, he benefited from a backlash against (1) a "black" president (God forbid!) who (2) issued a significant number of executive orders implementing policy changes because he couldn't get them through Congress and the usual legislative process (which Trump guaranteed he wouldn't emulate, lol) + (3) a Republican leadership not willing to back QUALIFIED candidates like Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio ("McConnell is wonderful! Boehner was a wimp!") and (4) the worst Democratic candidate since George McGovern.

The "independent" category - which the feds should rename "undeclared" as they're now called in California - is by far the fastest growing segment of the electorate. More and more of us are registering as such because we're fed up with two old and tired political parties running the country into the ground with their exceedingly extreme policy positions. I think as time goes on that in order to save themselves, both major parties are going to be forced to move back toward the center. However, if they refuse to do so, there WILL be an opening for a third major political party. However, for that to happen such third party will need to declare its focus to be moderation rather than just one issue as now.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Trump is an aberration. Right place, right time. In addition to the advantage of being the Republicans candidate running after 8 years of a Democratic administration, he benefited from a backlash against (1) a "black" president (God forbid!) who (2) issued a significant number of executive orders implementing policy changes because he couldn't get them through Congress and the usual legislative process (which Trump guaranteed he wouldn't emulate, lol) + (3) a Republican leadership not willing to back QUALIFIED candidates like Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio ("McConnell is wonderful! Boehner was a wimp!") and (4) the worst Democratic candidate since George McGovern.

The "independent" category - which the feds should rename "undeclared" as they're now called in California - is by far the fastest growing segment of the electorate. More and more of us are registering as such because we're fed up with two old and tired political parties running the country into the ground with their exceedingly extreme policy positions. I think as time goes on that in order to save themselves, both major parties are going to be forced to move back toward the center. However, if they refuse to do so, there WILL be an opening for a third major political party. However, for that to happen such third party will need to declare its focus to be moderation rather than just one issue as now.

What you say makes sense, however everything works against a moderate party. If you're on the left you're demonized by the right. If you're on the right you're demonized by the left.  If you're a moderate or undeclared you're demonized by both.  We have two teams that are bitter rivals. There isn't room for a third team.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

47 minutes ago, pokebball said:

What you say makes sense, however everything works against a moderate party. If you're on the left you're demonized by the right. If you're on the right you're demonized by the left.  If you're a moderate or undeclared you're demonized by both.  We have two teams that are bitter rivals. There isn't room for a third team.

Sadly, you're probably correct.

Quick story. For a decade or so I had regular consulting work as an independent contractor through a firm in Sacramento. It's VP was retired Air Force and presumably for that reason a registered Republican. We used to speak by phone often and have lunch or dinner together when we were ever in the same city simultaneously. At those times we would often discuss politics and one evening came to the conclusion that despite being members of different political parties, our views were often more similar to each others than to the far-left members of my party and the far-right members of his. I suspect that if you and I similarly socialized that we might reach the same conclusion.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, mugtang said:

Here’s where your benevolent dictator stands. 

73B3A085-B192-406E-83CE-0CA89E741FFB.png

Must be different on a daily basis or something, I could have swore you were hating on antifa earlier.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:39 PM, Orange said:

You're further right wing than I am Left.  There's nothing liberal about you.

You don't even know what the words you use mean.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Mine

Economic Left/Right: 5.0 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

personalised chart

This thing really doesn't make much sense.

Why do I have to agree or disagree with everything when I just don't care.  Or I don't think it is relevant to anything that matters?

What does strongly really mean?   If I agree, i agree "strongly", how else would I agree?

It is really a very poor test if you ask me.

21 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Why do I have to agree or disagree with everything when I just don't care.  Or I don't think it is relevant to anything that matters?

What does strongly really mean?   If I agree, i agree "strongly", how else would I agree?

I took not strongly agree to be in more cases than not yes. The test was lacking in nuance

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

45 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I took not strongly agree to be in more cases than not yes. The test was lacking in nuance

I believe the questions are also based on British politics.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 hours ago, Rocket said:

Must be different on a daily basis or something, I could have swore you were hating on antifa earlier.

Yep and I will continue to bash Antifa as long as they use violence.  I abhor political violence regardless of who’s doing it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Yep and I will continue to bash Antifa as long as they use violence.  I abhor political violence regardless of who’s doing it. 

You mean like dumping tea into the bay?

One of the Final Five..........

9 hours ago, mysfit said:

You mean like dumping tea into the bay?

Not sure destruction of property is on the same level as physical violence towards another person. Tarring and Feathering comes closer.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:45 PM, sebasour said:

+++++, Top25 was right

chart?ec=1.13&soc=8.72

You have great leadership potential.  My company did a personality assessment.  In bigger companies, the CEO personality profiles Showed a trend of having lower Cooperarive trait and higher Dominance trait.

With a balanced Left and Right positioning (meaning you prob have high critical thinking), I bet you are a high ranking corporate officer.

just playing with you but your profile reminded me of our company’s personality test.

Im up there in the company ranks, but im not the dominant force.

12 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

That’s my take...  I almost finished dead center in the chart and I think it’s because I didn’t “strongly” agree or disagree with most items.  

v0icAvfW.jpg