Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Music to bring us together

51 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

My favorite Floyd track. My favorite album of theirs is "Meddle", though. 

One of my favorites. It's about or dedicated to former bandmate Syd Barrett,

I often play it for my little boy at bedtime; we laugh, sarcastically, that I sound just like this (one of my favorite versions):

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I often play it for my little boy at bedtime; we laugh, sarcastically that I sound just like this (one of my favorite versions):

That's awesome. And honestly, if you're going to sound like a version, that's the version to sound like. There's this bar in Beirut, the Captain's Cabin...it's been there for years. I spent many evenings there. Saw a lot of strange shit. Anyway, the dude who ran it, Andre, this half Lebanese-half Venezuelan dude, had the "Wish You Were Here" album and would put it on in there once a night. And by the time it got to the track, "Wish You Were Here", invariably, the whole ceiling would be lined with about a foot deep cloud of hah and tobacco smoke. It always made or a surreal scene. Every time I hear the song, I envision that scene, even if just briefly. 

The whole album is nuts though. I've always wondered if "Have a Cigar" was based on a real conversation they had with a record exec. It's also probably proof that the record people probably don't listen to the records they put out in their entirety. The cover of the album is probably my favorite album art ever too. That picture is perfect. 

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

I often play it for my little boy at bedtime; we laugh, sarcastically, that I sound just like this (one of my favorite versions):

I love this version too, and since you brought up Syd Barrett this was also for him. There are 9 parts, because each band member contributed their own part for him. 

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

That's awesome. And honestly, if you're going to sound like a version, that's the version to sound like. There's this bar in Beirut, the Captain's Cabin...it's been there for years. I spent many evenings there. Saw a lot of strange shit. Anyway, the dude who ran it, Andre, this half Lebanese-half Venezuelan dude, had the "Wish You Were Here" album and would put it on in there once a night. And by the time it got to the track, "Wish You Were Here", invariably, the whole ceiling would be lined with about a foot deep cloud of hah and tobacco smoke. It always made or a surreal scene. Every time I hear the song, I envision that scene, even if just briefly. 

The whole album is nuts though. I've always wondered if "Have a Cigar" was based on a real conversation they had with a record exec. It's also probably proof that the record people probably don't listen to the records they put out in their entirety. The cover of the album is probably my favorite album art ever too. That picture is perfect. 

Pink Floyd is it’s own rabbit hole, as are most artists on this thread. Their HOF induction happened when I was about 13 and already loved the music. I also loved smashing pumpkins, and had an ill parent, so this really resonated with me.