Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

The Introduce Yourself Thread Part Deux

On 7/5/2019 at 12:28 AM, ridgeview2 said:

Occupation: I'm currently a high school world history teacher, but before I got into teaching full time I worked night school for at-risk youth trying to get a second chance at life. Most of my students ranged from 15-18 years old and were drug addicts, alcoholics, single parents, and gang members. They drove me crazy, but one of them came in one day to gave me a big hug and told me he was getting his GED which helped him get his first job and off the street. That's when I knew I was doing something right and I haven't looked back. 

You can't change the world no matter how hard you try.  But you can inspire those who have the need and are willing to try.  That is pretty awesome!   Congrats with that! 

1 hour ago, Spazdog said:

You can't change the world no matter how hard you try.  But you can inspire those who have the need and are willing to try.  That is pretty awesome!   Congrats with that! 

Thank you! That was the first thing I had to learn when getting into this career. You can't save them all, but if just one or two of them make it out then that's a win for me. That's one less person on the streets, in jail, or in an early grave. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 7/2/2019 at 9:07 AM, mugtang said:

Name:  JT

Hometown: Casper, Wyoming, but have lived most of my life in Colorado.. I am now a Greenie

University and Degree:  UW  Econ and JD at UW

Teams:  UW Cowboys, Colorado Rockies and Denver Broncos

Interests:  Fishing, Harley MC riding

Dislikes:  Self absorbed people.

Favorite Activities:  UW football

On my playlist:  The Big Lebowsky

Married/Kids/Pets:  Yes

Miscellaneous:  Made every  UW home and away game in 2017.  Cowboys in Colorado founder and regular participant

On 7/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, IanforHeisman said:

D2142D6C-8CAE-4A96-85E7-3FE9B0904B44.png

My brother-in-law is big into coral reef tanks.  He has a few big tanks at home (not sure how big).  He used to have a company maintaining tanks.  I think he may still service one or two accounts.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:07 AM, mugtang said:

Template

Name: Soupslam/ Dennis

Hometown: Grew up in Lawndale Cali, but have lived in Boise 40 years

University and Degree: Cal St Chico, BS Civil Engineering, grad studies Water Resources, SJSU

Occupation: Environmental Engineer, 20 years each at two consulting engineering firms designing various municipal water and wastewater facilities, retired

Teams: Boise State, UCLA, Dodgers, Rams, Lakers

Interests: Doing anything outdoors, traveling, most sports

Dislikes: Rude people, traffic, waiting in lines, talking on the phone, sushi, telemarketers

Favorite Activities: Golf, USTA league tennis, camping, whitewater rafting, fishing, love the beach, hiking with our golden retriever, crossword puzzles

On my playlist: Old time rock and roll

Married/Kids/Pets: Coming up on 46 years, Adopted son 33 and adopted daughter 31, Dog and cat

Miscellaneous: Vietnam Vet, Signal Corps, sky dived with daughter, soup is sons nickname, slam is daughters

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

If you don't mind me asking, how did "soup" and "slam" become your kids' nicknames?

No problem. My sons nickname was a spin-off from our last name which is hard to pronounce. So his friends just started calling him Soup. My daughter was nicknamed Slam by her Tball coach because she was aggressive swinging the bat. My son is musically inclined. My daughter is athletic. 

On 7/5/2019 at 8:52 AM, 4UNLV said:

I have figured out over the years that we are somehow related :cheers:, probably not even that distant. Let me guess, dud the stud, lol.     @toonkee is probably somewhere in the mix as well. :D

And you're right, Vegas was a 'small' town a very short time ago. Especially among a few families.

BTW, you probably knew that Bunkerville was named because he and the two above drew straws to see which one the town would be named after. Bunker won, that dirty rotten scoundrel. He cheated somehow, I know it.

Wait, you’re telling me that you, @BestintheWest, and @toonkee are actually related? Whoa, that puts an image in my head of a Bill Walton caricature dressed in a “World’s Best Grandma” t-shirt playing the piano with a shotgun slung across its back. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Wait, you’re telling me that you, @BestintheWest, and @toonkee are actually related? Whoa, that puts an image in my head of a Bill Walton caricature dressed in a “World’s Best Grandma” t-shirt playing the piano with a shotgun slung across its back. 

Haha! I don't know if Toonkee and I are actually related, but his family helped settle Las Vegas, as did mine. I have not met Best in the West yet, but we have a great, great (maybe another great for him) grandfather in common. but so do half the people in that old 'small town' Vegas we were talking about, lol.

And that's just one side of my family.

50 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Please allow me to introduce myself.

I'm a man of wealth and taste.

Someone get this man his man 'n cheese w/ chopped hotdogs and Tang! Pronto!!

Name: 

Hometown: Sparks, NV

University and Degree: AA from TMCC in Reno, currently working on BA in Psychology at Capella University and in English at Great Basin College, with intent to pursue advanced degrees.

Occupation: Currently something other than intended possible career paths.

Teams: Nevada Wolf Pack, San Francisco Giants

Interests: Sports; outdoors; astronomy and theoretical physics, along with other intellectual pursuits

Dislikes: Liars; willful misuse of common psychological terms (random pet peeve)

Favorite Activities: Usually things having to do with interests

On my playlist: Most genres except rap and heavy metal.  I’m sure you could find some random obscure something I cringe at.

Married/Kids/Pets: No(t yet); significant other has a little one for whom I’ll be filing paternal rights if/when she and I tie the knot; no

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
On 7/11/2019 at 5:41 AM, 4UNLV said:

Haha! I don't know if Toonkee and I are actually related, but his family helped settle Las Vegas, as did mine. I have not met Best in the West yet, but we have a great, great (maybe another great for him) grandfather in common. but so do half the people in that old 'small town' Vegas we were talking about, lol.

And that's just one side of my family.

Let's see....

Mormon names that seemingly rule Las Vegas / Henderson:

Bunker

Leavitt

Gibson

Hafen

Name: Jason

Hometown: Albuquerque

University and Degree: University of New Mexico. BA Criminology

Teams: UNM, New Mexico United, Steelers, Dodgers, Suns Avalanche.

Dislikes: Political discussion

Favorite Activities: Hiking, rock climbing, reading, video games

On my playlist: Iron Maiden, Muse, Green Day, 2Cellos. A weird +++++ing mix. 

Married/Kids/Pets: Divorced. One daughter. Two cats. 

Miscellaneous: Not completely thrilled with my work right now. Almost five years of this is too much. Looking at getting into an alternate teacher licensure program at CNM this fall. 

On 7/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, #1Stunner said:

Let's see....

Mormon names that seemingly rule Las Vegas / Henderson:

Bunker

Leavitt

Gibson

Hafen

I got to know one of the Vegas Leavitts when I lived there a while back.  He was in insurance.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:03 PM, ridgeview2 said:

Thank you! That was the first thing I had to learn when getting into this career. You can't save them all, but if just one or two of them make it out then that's a win for me. That's one less person on the streets, in jail, or in an early grave. 

how do you get into that career, anyway?  the at risk youth kid stuff?

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

how do you get into that career, anyway?  the at risk youth kid stuff?

6 years ago I saw a job posting on our state wide educational website (EdJoin). It was a position with Building Healthy Communities AmeriCorps (BHC) which is a federal non-profit volunteer organization designed to help youth and others meet the basic needs in their communities. There are different chapters around the state and the one located here in Kern County was specifically designed to help at-risk youth who were on the verge of being expelled or already expelled and facing juvenile hall. I was fresh out of college and this was my first real full-time job. I was assigned at a middle school working as an educational mentor with a caseload of 25 students who were failing and had disciplinary issues. It was my job to tutor them, provide counseling (academic and emotional), and have weekly sit down meetings with the administration to provide updates on their progress. Of the 25 students in my caseload, I lost 8 of them to due to moving away or being expelled. Once expelled they were removed from my caseload, but another mentor picked up them as we were also at the community schools. 

My second year I got moved to a high school and this is when I found my calling. The students were great and I enjoyed working with the teachers even though the front office was a toxic hell hole with an out of control administration (lots of scandals). When I was first hired it was in my contract that I had to fulfill 2 years of service and at the completion I received a stipend of $15k that I could put towards paying off student loans or use for future schooling. I was approached by a teacher from the high school and asked if I wanted to apply for a night school position to teach students at the community school. All I would have to do is start the process of my teaching credential to be eligible, so I put my stipend money to quick use and enrolled in a teaching credential program. I was hired and taught part time side by side with him for a year while I was a substitute teacher during the day. The next year he retired, but when I threw my hat in the ring to fill the position someone else who was more qualified was chosen over me (eh, it happens) so I became a substitute teacher with the district and filled in for another teacher who went on maternity leave and decided not to come back so they let me finish the year. The next year I got my second chance and this time I landed the position working with the group I talked about in my original post. Last year I got hired as a history teacher at a regular high school and I got out of the community schools. I had fun and it was a rewarding experience, but it's not a position I recommend spending a long time in. Some of the teachers that were there that I like to call "old timers" didn't care anymore and were only there for the paycheck and that only discouraged students from making progress.                    

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

Not here much lately but here we go.

Name:  Chile

Hometown: Plymouth, IN/Price, UT

University and Degree: UU BS Exercise Physiology, Marshall U MS Exercise Physiology, Physician Assistant Studies Hahnemann University Philadelphia (now Drexel U)

Teams: Most MWC teams not playing Utah.  Utes.  Chicago Bears and Blackhawks.  Phillies, White Sox

Interests:  Golf, camping, fly fishing, guitar, cooking, etc

Dislikes: Too many.  Important one:  if you believe in something strong enough, share it but don’t force dogma on everyone

Favorite Activities:  see interests

On my playlist: Mozart to Frightened Rabbit to Foo to Hozier.....always changing

Married/Kids/Pets: Wife, son, dog.....son and dog sometime change in ranking in the family.  Wife is number one....totally married up (ask them on a wine tour when they are “relaxed”)

Miscellaneous: Miss you bitches.  Wish we played more.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!